Wierd Cookies on CC Cleaner

butch1

• Moderators

And in your browser, what control have you put on cookies, accept all, block, ask me?

I'm guessing those cookies are from pop-ups or drive-bys.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

So to confirm, do you read eBooks and download them onto your computer? (First 2 cookies)

Any one, perhaps under 18, use your PC? The last cookie is from mega.nz which is mass storage (cloud storage) and file sharing.

Any of these may have arrived as adverts or 3rd party cookies for sites you did go to. I'd not worry about them and just let ccleaner remove them.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I don't do ebooks/ nor have kids under 18. Retired empty nester, It just seemed odd to see those cookies albeit they showed up as 0 bytes and cleaned.

In previous versions of CC cleaner I never encountered this. Oh well as long as it shows up as deleted cookies, I just was concerned as I never went to those sites.

Thanks for the advise.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a common problem. A lot of sites I visit dump tracking cookies/adware/spyware.I suspect some websites get a fee from the spyware and advertising companies if allowed to pollute their own websites.  I Googled cookie names I didn't recognize and complied a list of tracking and advertising cookies. I use Internet Explorer so was able to go into Tools>Internet options>privacy>sites and I entered the list and selected 'block' for each item I entered. That really cut down on the number of cookies I see when I go Into CCleaner>Options>Cookies.

A new wrinkle has recently been addedI'm pretty sure that some websites are paying Piriform to render their spyware unremovable using CCleaner. If I go into CCleaner cookie list, I now see tracking cookies that were NOT removed by running CCleaner. You can right click on these cookies to get a pop-up pane that includes 'Delete now'. The cookies disappear from view but if you select the 'Cleaner' option, then go back to the 'cookies' list without even running the cleaner function, the adware/tracking cookies you just individually deleted are all back.

I upgraded to a recent version - not the current one - and found almost no cookies were removed...maybe 3 or 4 on a list of 20. I went to FileHippo and downloaded a previous edition that worked better, V4.19.4867

Sample nasty cookies that defy deletion include cxense.com and googleads.g.doubleclick.net

What's worse is the fact that blocking these cookies using the IE>Tools>Internet options>Privacy>sites doesn't work. They can't be blocked and they can't be removed. Sucks doesn't it?