Vosteran hijacking

Maint

Love Ccleaner. Free version user. Used "new version available" button bottom right corner of ccleaner page and somehow got hijacked by Vosteran Trojan in the process. Stopped when unfamiliar pages started loading backed out and cleaned Vosteran out. Had to uninstall then reinstall programs.Very inconvenient and cause for concern. Will do custom install with "free" software going forward.

• Moderators

This sounds more like your computer is infected with malware than a ccleaner bug. Please go to a reputable antimalware forum and seek aid immediately.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 months later...

I was infected with vosteran and my av pgm cleaned up some (the important exec's) but seems to have left a bunch of entries in reg.  Rather than install some unfamiliar pgm such as adwcleaner; I would really feel more safe if CC would perform the reg clean of vosteran.  I have been a longtime (like lots of years, all functions) user of CC and have never had any issue with it. Never. At least where I could blame it.  Therefore I really would feel better if CCleaner would clean those useless Vosteran registry entries.  Why doesn't it?? 

Thanks

Ron

there are like 17 various entries in reg.  All live executables have been removed.  I prefer to have a clean Registry.  I run CClean reg clean up after any uninstall /install plus when I do regular disk/pgm cleanup. Please help.    

ex. Name: Vosteran.com

Path: HKLM\software\wow6432node\microsoft\mediaplayer\shiminclusionlist\vosteran.exe

• Moderators

Ccleaner is NOT a anti-malware product. I'm sorry to tell you but you must follow the advice in post #2. Adwcleaner and any other software and steps suggested by the safe forums listed in

Rule 10 in our forum rules is really the safest (and in my opinion ONLY) route to go when you have an infected computer.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Adwcleaner (downloadable either from authors site or Bleepingcomputer forums) is used on just about all Malware removal sites and by countless other people (myself included)

Suggest you follow Nergal's advice unless you don't mind having malware remnants on your machine.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com