Microsoft to deliver free upgrades to Windows 10

hazelnut

• Moderators

Microsoft will offer free upgrades to Windows 10 -- the next version of its operating system -- first for Windows 8.1 users and then for Windows 7 users, the company announced Wednesday.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-deliver-free-windows-10-upgrades/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm actually pretty excited after today's announcements. 

Free, possible game streaming with xbox one, return of desktop focus on laptop/desktop computers, cortana looks neat. Overall I'm glad they are dumping windows 8. :P

As a daily user of Windows 8.1, I'll be moving to Windows 10 primarily for the shrunken PaddedBorderWidth and directX12.

I do not consider Windows 8 meaningfully different from Windows 7 in a UX way other than the start menu. Actually, even seeing screenshots of Windows 7 kind of throws me, it looks dated to me know (I am partial to flat color schemes, #holoyolo, #materiyolo) I once used my computer in front of someone for almost an hour (not rudely!) and when I brought up the start screen briefly to launch a program I didn't have set to a run line, they remarked "ooh gross windows 8." even though they hadn't even known I was using Windows 8 up until that point. The negative bias against it (particularly from people who dont even use it) astonishes!

I had a great experience with Win10 in a VM. I'll probably wait a bit for the major UX bugs to be ironed out (since it is a major OS release after all :lol:)

• Moderators

Even as Tech Preview the OS is pretty solid. I pretty much use it as a daily now and looking forward to the Xbox One intergration. The basics are there, but they are updating it a lot. Cortana is neat, but does need some work.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

i have also w8.1 with start menu replacement

"classicshell"

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

@triumNo need for links, interested parties can google it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

"Free" upgrade for my old Win 7 box and my new Win 8.1 box! Hey they've captured my interest.

HOWEVER.............what's the catch? I've yet to come across "a free lunch".............someone always seems to have to pay!

AH maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age. lol   

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

"Free" upgrade for my old Win 7 box and my new Win 8.1 box! Hey they've captured my interest.

HOWEVER.............what's the catch? I've yet to come across "a free lunch".............someone always seems to have to pay!

AH maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age. lol   

I'm sure they have a plan, but this occurred to me:

They encourage win7 users to move to Win10

and Win8 users to move to Win10

they now concentrate a larger share of the market into one system (windows 8, last time I checked, only had like 20% of the market) while also moving people to newer technology, so they can stop supporting older products (XP is probably a lost cause at this point, anyone still clinging to it is probably going to do so till their machine dies - and possibly after.)

• Moderators

I think their plan is simply compete with osX which gives all compatible machines free updates

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

That too - Windows is expensive, and with Linux becoming more-and-more viable as a replacement for it (inb4 "2015 is the year of the linux desktop") I guess they sort-of have to go free. Should be interesting to see what sort of services they monetize to make up for it.

• Moderators
That too - Windows is expensive, and with Linux becoming more-and-more viable as a replacement for it (inb4 "2015 is the year of the linux desktop") I guess they sort-of have to go free. Should be interesting to see what sort of services they monetize to make up for it.

It's also likely that "Windows 11" will only be free (for a year) for users of Windows 8.1 and 10.x (and will only work on computers that meet at least midlevel 8.1 requirements). We have to remember that win7 worked on Win XP min requirements(iirc) so some of this hardware isn't going to be able to run 10 and beyond; so I'd say there's still monetization to be made. +Office subscriptions bring cash and upgrading skydrive size (cause people are dumb) and for pay add ons (similar to freemium games)

. . .

they now concentrate a larger share of the market into one system (windows 8, last time I checked, only had like 20% of the market) while also moving people to newer technology, so they can stop supporting older products (XP is probably a lost cause at this point, anyone still clinging to it is probably going to do so till their machine dies - and possibly after.)

>ahem<   Yep, I am.  Does that make me a Klingon?  :P  [Get it . . . cling on . . .Klingon . . . ]  OK never mind. 

Seriously, Winapp is right, but I think microsoft's broader objective is much simpler.  They just want to keep selling OSs.  Win 8 scared'em.  Linux continues to scare'em.

Edit:  They have to do something to make us think we can't live without their newest OS. 

And rightly so.  Their profit for the last quarter was under 5 billion dollars. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I'm curious, when w10 is available as an update

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

where actually is w9? should not be as update for w8 user?

• Moderators

They tripped and fell over 9 and landed on 10.  :lol: 10 is also a little further away from 8/8.1 and I'd imagine they'd liked to distance themselves from it, but they've put out so many flops over the years that people have openly disliked.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

there will be no Win9, skipped it and went straight to Win10.

apparently they figured we would get confused with Win95 or Win98.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

there will be no Win9, skipped it and went straight to Win10.

apparently they figured we would get confused with Win95 or Win98.

The real reason is even funnier.

8 was so "universally" panned (I love it at least with classicshell like trium said) that they thought jumping 9 would placate users into "knowing" that Microsoft was listening to "them" (I also assume that there was an internal 9 which got broken into two, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 )

Maybe just maybe the person that select's the Windows version numbers is related to those that decided NOT to have "level 13" in many building lifts lol...............perhaps a relationship between the number "9" and "13" lol

Another thought is that the person that thought up Windows ME (release version No.4.90) had a hand in it! why call it "ME"................ah who knows lets face it there seems to be no rime no reason for the official Windows Names and corresponding Windows version numbers:

Name Release
date Release
version
number Editions Windows 10 TBA NT 10.0[1]
  • TBA
Windows 8.1 18 October 2013 NT 6.3
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Windows 8 26 October 2012 NT 6.2
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8 Pro
  • Windows 8 Enterprise

See Windows 8 editions

Windows 7 22 October 2009 NT 6.1
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows Thin PC

See Windows 7 editions

Windows Vista 30 January 2007 NT 6.0
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Enterprise
  • Windows Vista Ultimate

See Windows Vista editions

Windows XP Professional x64 25 April 2005 NT 5.2 N/A Windows XP 25 October 2001 NT 5.1

See Windows XP editions

Windows ME 14 September 2000 4.90 N/A Windows 2000 17 February 2000 NT 5.0 Professional Windows 98 25 June 1998 4.10 Windows NT 4.0 24 August 1996 NT 4.0 Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Windows 95 24 August 1995 4.00
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 95 SP1 (31 December 1995)
  • Windows 95 OSR1 (14 February 1996)
  • Windows 95 OSR2 (24 August 1996)
  • Windows 95 USB Supplement to OSR2 (27 August 1997)
  • Windows 95 OSR2.1 (27 August 1997)
  • Windows 95 OSR2.5 (26 November 1997)
Windows NT 3.51 30 May 1995 NT 3.51 Windows NT 3.51 Workstation Windows NT 3.5 21 September 1994 NT 3.50 Windows NT 3.5 Workstation Windows 3.2 22 November 1993 3.2 Simplified Chinese only Windows for Workgroups 3.11 November 1993 3.11 N/A Windows NT 3.1 27 July 1993 NT 3.10 Windows NT 3.1 Windows 3.1 April 1992 3.10
  • Windows 3.1
  • Windows for Workgroups 3.1 (October 1992)
Windows 3.0 22 May 1990 3.00 N/A Windows 2.11 13 March 1989 2.11
  • Windows/286
  • Windows/386
Windows 2.10 27 May 1988 2.10
  • Windows/286
  • Windows/386
Windows 2.0 9 December 1987 2.0 N/A Windows 1.04 April 1987 1.04 N/A Windows 1.03 August 1986 1.03 N/A Windows 1.01 20 November 1985 1.01 N/A

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Another thought is that the person that thought up Windows ME (release version No.4.90) had a hand in it! why call it "ME"................ah who knows lets face it there seems to be no rime no reason for the official Windows Names and corresponding Windows version numbers:

Windows ME was the "Millennium Edition" --> for privatuser, gamer, the last windows of DOS-Base

many opportunities to run programs in the dos-mode has been removed.

Microsoft making win 10 available free for Rasberry Pi 2?  Looks like it. 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/7962179/raspberry-pi-windows-10

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/02/02/windows-10-coming-to-raspberry-pi-2/

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

as long as they don't hobble Win10 too much, that should be a good match.

although the Pi 2 model B with 1GiB RAM may struggle, but at least we will have more options than just Linux distros.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

another question:

if i upgraded to w10, then remains for example: the office activ or can unlock again?