'Old Prefetch data' entry

SMalik

• Moderators

I also don't use winapp2.ini and although I have Old Prefetch data ticked, I actually don't need to as I have a SSD and have the Prefetch service deactivated since it provides no benefit.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I have 'Old Prefetch Data' checked under Advanced in CCleaner, although I could do without it because whenever I make disk image backups I use a batch file of mine to delete the *.pf files - no sense in my views to back them up in the image too.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to delete them here. 

Might be a privacy issue, but doesn't affect performance much.

I never have very many "old" ones.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I think they can keep it in CCleaner, but it should work for the latest Windows OS also. I have Windows 8.1 and I have made an entry in Winapp2.ini for myself that I always use. I don't see any affects whatsoever. The only thing is that If you remove .pf files from the Prefetch folder, programs will take a little longer to open the next time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-the-prefetch-folder

Here is the entry that I use.

[Windows Prefetch*]
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%WinDir%\Prefetch
Default=False
FileKey1=%WinDir%\Prefetch|*.pf

• Moderators

Smalik I think you are backwards ccleaner intigration is the goal of the optional personal winapp2. The community winapp2 is NOT supported by Piriform and they will not even entertain the template's (you know the thread provided one you contribute to) existence.

If you, personally dislike the built in uncheck it and create your own and put it in your PERSONAL winapp2

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
I think they can keep it in CCleaner, but it should work for the latest Windows OS also. I have Windows 8.1 and I have made an entry in Winapp2.ini for myself that I always use. I don't see any affects whatsoever. The only thing is that If you remove .pf files from the Prefetch folder, programs will take a little longer to open the next time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-the-prefetch-folder

Here is the entry that I use.

[Windows Prefetch*]

LangSecRef=3025

DetectFile=%WinDir%\Prefetch

Default=False

FileKey1=%WinDir%\Prefetch|*.pf

Discussed to death prefetch is NOT JUNK for the reason you yourself pointed out; it causes programs initial load to be slow.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

it causes programs initial load to be slow.

That's usually the case when taking into account first run all on its own because of loading into memory, then of course the antivirus is going to scan it too. In my case Avira Antivirus takes longer to allow some programs to load on a first run basis rather they're already prefetched or not. Anyways like you said it's been discussed to death.

Edited by Andavari

To me, Prefetch is junk! How come it is junk in Windows 7 and not junk in Windows 8? If Prefetch files are not junk then this entry should be removed from CCleaner. The Prefetch/Superfetch service work the same way in both Windows. Most of the known privacy eraser programs wipe .pf files. After removing these files, programs load with a 2 second delay.

• Moderators

Old Prefetch are junk because "I" used "TurboTax 2014" for 3 "hours" 11 "months" ago, I don't need that software to open faster, or likely at all - delete that useless prefetch.

"I" use "Microsoft Word 365" 8 "hours" every "day". It opens a new instance everytime I make a new document - on my 12 year old XP pc with >a gig of memory that my government job makes me use that prefetch is GOLDEN.

This is why there's a difference between the "old prefetch" entry and wholesale removal/salvation of all prefetch.

If you want to use your entry go for it, but it seems more economical, to me at least, to experiment with turning prefetch off and if you don't miss it, leave it off.

I hope this will, once again, put this tired debate (which has been repeated often) to bed for another slumber.

• Moderators

it's also good to wipe out PF every now and then as infected programs can get prefetched.

• Moderators

So by "now and then" you mean "after infection cleaning". I don't get infected so I never thought of that but that's a good idea: to turn off prefetch, reboot turn on prefetch. Thanks I keep that in my hat

• Moderators

and to muddy the waters a little bit more for the pro- or anti- camps, for those of us with SSD's, prefetch is simply pointless.

• Moderators

for those of us with SSD's, prefetch is simply pointless.

I always have seen it as pointless, and as SMalik called it "junk." For me installed antivirus is more of a bottleneck cause of slowdown versus having some silly little prefetch file that's supposed to speed up things. Personally I don't know why Microsoft relied upon dozens of silly little files when they could've made a single file for it like Prefetch.sys - with the ability to empty the contents of course.