Files Are Corrupted

djw

I installed CCleaner yesterday and ran it. Now all of my Excel workbooks and Word documents are corrupted. When I open them they are full of unintelligible characters. Also I cannot access my email archive.

I scanned my hard drive with the latest virus definitions and it's clean. I'm certain CCleaner is the culprit because this was the only thing I did yesterday that was out of the ordinary. I also ran the "Scan for Issues" function in CCleaner and fixed all the issues. Still no success.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

Here's an update. This is far worse than I thought. I checked all of my Excel files and noticed they have all been modified. They all have the same modified date and time which coincides with the date and time I ran CCleaner. So I did a search on all files with the same modify date and I found that it corrupted my Word files, Adobe files, PowerPoint files, compressed (zip) files, even jpg files cannot be opened.

All of these files have the same modify date and time range which is the exact date and time range I ran CCleaner. Now I am convinced CCleaner is the culprit.

I sure hope someone can help.

David

Here's an update. This is far worse than I thought. I checked all of my Excel files and noticed they have all been modified. They all have the same modified date and time which coincides with the date and time I ran CCleaner. So I did a search on all files with the same modify date and I found that it corrupted my Word files, Adobe files, PowerPoint files, compressed (zip) files, even jpg files cannot be opened.

All of these files have the same modify date and time range which is the exact date and time range I ran CCleaner. Now I am convinced CCleaner is the culprit.

I sure hope someone can help.

David

Hi David,

I personally haven't heard of this happening. Can you check your Event Viewer, and post your error codes? That will clarify what happened.

Thanks,

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Here are the errors since yesterday. Thanks for your help. :)

Sorry one more question. What OS are you running?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Before we call this a CCleaner created issue you may want or actually need to run a malicious software scan using ewido anti-malware - update it immediately after installation and then run the full system scan. Also using Internet Explorer try Microsoft's free Windows Live Safety Center to perform a full system scan for viruses.

If ewido anti-malware and Windows Live Safety Center don't find anything it could be that you need to run ChkDsk since file corruption believe it or not isn't uncommon if the disk error checking programs aren't used every now and then. Most notably if your disk isn't formatted with the NTFS file system (highly recommended) corruption is even more of a serious problem if you're using FAT32.

It definitely isn't a CCleaner issue, but I need you to double click on Dhcp Error Event 1000. What does it say?

Also are you using the XP Home Edition, or XP Professional. Do you have any service packs installed (if using Professional), and if so which one?

Also, Andavari's suggestion to scan your computer is a great suggestion. ;)

K

It definitely isn't a CCleaner issue, but I need you to double click on Dhcp Error Event 1000. What does it say?

Also are you using the XP Home Edition, or XP Professional. Do you have any service packs installed (if using Professional), and if so which one?

Also, Andavari's suggestion to scan your computer is a great suggestion. ;)

K

I'm using XP Professional - Service Pack 2. Here's the Dhcp Error Event 1000 info:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Dhcp

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 2/23/2006

Time: 9:00:20 AM

User: N/A

Computer: djw

Description:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address. The following error occurred:

The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I'll also try Andavari's advice.

So I should still be able to run CCleaner with a clear conscience in the future? :unsure: What I can't get over is that this happened during a scan.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Hi djw,

I do understand your concern, and yes you can run CCleaner in the future with a clear conscience. Here's a link to my first thread in this forum. Even though my computer catastrophe coinsided with my first time using CCleaner the two weren't related. I have since then used CCleaner daily, and I haven't had any CCleaner related issues. You don't really need to read it, but it's an example of a computer problem happening at the same time as running CCleaner, but CCleaner wasn't the problem. ;)

CCleaner

Now will you double click on your Error event 7000? If it isn't a runtime error post it please, but if it is a runtime error please just confirm that for me before I give you a solution that isn't relevant to your situation.

You said that you followed Andavari's suggestion. So you did run chkdsk?

Thank you. :)

K

Hi djw,

I do understand your concern, and yes you can run CCleaner in the future with a clear conscience. Here's a link to my first thread in this forum. Even though my computer catastrophe coinsided with my first time using CCleaner the two weren't related. I have since then used CCleaner daily, and I haven't had any CCleaner related issues. You don't really need to read it, but it's an example of a computer problem happening at the same time as running CCleaner, but CCleaner wasn't the problem. ;)

CCleaner

Now will you double click on your Error event 7000? If it isn't a runtime error post it please, but if it is a runtime error please just confirm that for me before I give you a solution that isn't relevant to your situation.

You said that you followed Andavari's suggestion. So you did run chkdsk?

Thank you. :)

K

I don't think they are runtime errors. I attached them here.

7000errordetails.txt

Yes, I ran a chkdsk and walked away from my p.c. When I returned, the windows sign on was up. So I never saw any message from the result of the chkdsk.

If there were a problem, would it have finished the boot sequence or would I have seen a chkdsk message?

7000errordetails.txt

Hi djw,

Boot in Safe Mode, and logon as Administrator. Start > Run > (type) sfc /sannow (Note. space after sfc)

Have your Installation CD ready, but don't insert it until you're prompted to do so. This is not an installation, but it will fix system files. You're for sure missing one .sys file, and if there are more this scan will replace them.

Then post back for 2nd step.

K

• Moderators

Start > Run > (type) sfc / sannow

That should be:

sfc /scannow

And it's important to reboot immediately after it's done since Windows will restore the correct file versions in a special mode just before the system fully restarts.

That should be:

sfc /scannow

And it's important to reboot immediately after it's done since Windows will restore the correct file versions in a special mode just before the system fully restarts.

Thank you soooo much for noticing that typo. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi djw,

Boot in Safe Mode, and logon as Administrator. Start > Run > (type) sfc /sannow (Note. space after sfc)

Have your Installation CD ready, but don't insert it until you're prompted to do so. This is not an installation, but it will fix system files. You're for sure missing one .sys file, and if there are more this scan will replace them.

Then post back for 2nd step.

K

I don't have the system disk. This is a company pc and it has a base image on the HDD. They don't provide system disks with their pc's. I'm thinking that I will just back-up my files and re-image it.

I appreciate all of your help on this and apologies for not following up sooner.

Thanks again. :)

I dont think CCleaner is programmed to touch any of your files mentioned.

It never edits any files, I think.

It removes some files such as temp files, and removes some registry entries.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png