I have recommended CCleaner in an Israeli backtalk

roblang

Hi Mr.G (and everyone else in here of course :) ),

It's been a while since I last wrote in the forum, ever since "the beta fiasco" where an attempt from the author to allow us to show our optional support in his free project turned haywire (I admit I had my rejections too), and that is despite Mr.G's early promise that CCleaner will have "cleaner" builds.

I want to say that although I would've prefered CCleaner to never "get dirty" with such additions as the Yahoo toolbar offer, I'm impressed with Mr.G's devotion to his loyal users by maintaining and providing for free, 3 different builds, two of which being sponser-free. I really appreciate it.

As it happens, I've just seen a horrible "tip" in a well-known Israeli journal's web site (Ha'aretz's "Captain Internet"), (ill-)advising users to go wild and manually delete hotfix folders from their Windows folder, would you believe the irresponsibility... :blink:

Anyway, I was afraid to get mixed reactions towards a recommendation that refers to a sponsered program, so I gave a link to the all-builds page. However, I did state there that users are welcome to show their support and opt for the "Standard" version, if they fully understand the implications (being, so I stated, an "added bloat" to their PCs. We must state that plainly, sorry).

The link to the article, for whom concerns (Hebrew language):

http://www.haaretz.co.il/captain/pages/ShA...5&itemNo=681403

And my own pro-CCleaner feedback:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/captain/objects/R...o=681403&cont=2

Thanks again Mr.G !!! :)

Yeah, it is too bad CCleaner nowadays comes with crap. :(

And dont expect Mr.G to reply on the forum, because he never replies, I dont think he even bother reading the forum.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

However, I did state there that users are welcome to show their support and opt for the "Standard" version, if they fully understand the implications (being, so I stated, an "added bloat" to their PCs. We must state that plainly, sorry).

Hi roblang,

Suggestion: You could tell users that they are welcome to show their support by making a donation rather than installing the Yahoo version. That way everyone benefits! :D

Just an idea. Thanks for the information.

K

Yeah, it is too bad CCleaner nowadays comes with crap. :(

And dont expect Mr.G to reply on the forum, because he never replies, I dont think he even bother reading the forum.

He actually does read the forum. I see him all of the time, and I randomly check his profile which shows him reading through multiple threads. Also, recently he's been on the forum more than usual.

Just a FYI. :D

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

He actually does read the forum. I see him all of the time, and I randomly check his profile which shows him reading through multiple threads. Also, recently he's been on the forum more than usual.

Sounds like MrG has a stalker. :lol:

Sounds like MrG has a stalker. :lol:

Very funny!!! You're just picking on me. ;)

Not stalking just curious about MrG's involvement, and my stalking :ph34r: has revealed that he does want to know what we all have to say. :P

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I do read the forums. ;)

I've been busy working on an upcoming project, so apologies for not having had much chance to reply. I should have more time next week when I'll reply to the posts and review all the bugs and fixes.

MrG

Taron had reported a bug about MSN if am not wrong, he provided a solution on how to fix it and it hasnt been fixed for months, I still dont think it is fixed, or is it?

I think you can make a post or two a day, to give us some heads up on whats up.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Taron had reported a bug about MSN if am not wrong, he provided a solution on how to fix it and it hasnt been fixed for months, I still dont think it is fixed, or is it?

Hi Eldmannen,

I'm not familiar with the MSN bug. I use MSN, and I personally haven't had any problems. I included the list of changes in this version. The MSN that's in bold...is that what you're referring to? I'm curious because I use MSN, and would like to be sure that any bugs are fixed.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

What's new with this version?

---------------------------------------------------------

v1.27.260

- Added secure file deletion.

- Added Windows HotFix Uninstaller cleaning.

- Added optional IE toolbar.

- Updated application icon.

- Fixed large file size issue.

- Fixed Firefox cookie error.

- Restyled Startup program list.

- Added cleaning for:

Grisoft AVG 7.0, TUGZip, AntiVir Personal Edition,

Google Toolbar 4.0

- Updated cleaning for:

MSN Messenger, DVD Shrink, Spybot Search and Destroy,

Adobe Photoshop CS2.

- Updated translations:

Hebrew, Romanian, French, German.

- Fixed small font issue with symbolic languages.

- Minor display fixes.

Thank you Hazelnut!

I have another question. Sorry, but I'm a n00b with the winapp stuff. I downloaded winapp2.ini yesterday. Is that the only one that I need, or do I need the winapp.ini as well? If winapp2.ini is an update to winapp.ini then Tarun's suggestion was implemented because that key isn't on winapp2.ini. But if both are needed then I'm not sure. I don't have the winapp.ini.

Thank you Hazelnut!

I have another question. Sorry, but I'm a n00b with the winapp stuff. I downloaded winapp2.ini yesterday. Is that the only one that I need, or do I need the winapp.ini as well? If winapp2.ini is an update to winapp.ini then Tarun's suggestion was implemented because that key isn't on winapp2.ini. But if both are needed then I'm not sure. I don't have the winapp.ini.

CCleaner comes with winapp.ini. That is the one you need to have. CCleaner does support a winapp2.ini file, but it may contain bugs and such, so it is recommended for primarily advanced users.

The original winapp.ini contains applications that MrG has tested out and written the cleaning routines for. winapp2.ini consists of application cleaning routines submitted by users, so they may or may not work.

Also, if you want, you can add in your own programs to winapp2.ini, so it is good for knowledgeable users who don't have some software not supported by CCleaner.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I am not familiar with the bug because I do not use MSN because it is sucks.

However, Tarun mentioned the bug several times, and nothing was done about it. (Until now?)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

CCleaner comes with winapp.ini. That is the one you need to have. CCleaner does support a winapp2.ini file, but it may contain bugs and such, so it is recommended for primarily advanced users.

The original winapp.ini contains applications that MrG has tested out and written the cleaning routines for. winapp2.ini consists of application cleaning routines submitted by users, so they may or may not work.

Also, if you want, you can add in your own programs to winapp2.ini, so it is good for knowledgeable users who don't have some software not supported by CCleaner.

Why do I need either file? I've gone this long without it.

There are programs listed in my Add/Remove - Control Panel list that aren't listed in CCleaner's "uninstall" list, and I was told to add the missing programs to winapp. But is that winapp.ini, or winapp2.ini.

I'll look around for the winapp.ini file now.

Thanks,

K

Why do I need either file? I've gone this long without it.

Actually, you already have winapp.ini, even though you may not realize it. Go into your CCleaner directory and you will see it. It is a necessary part of CCleaner, and is one of the files included in the installer. If you delete it, there will be nothing listed under your Applications list. Try cutting it out of the CCleaner folder and pasting it on the desktop to prove this for yourself.

Note: If you do have winapp2.ini currently installed, there will still be apps listed, as it contains apps as well. The point was simply that ccleaner.exe itself doesn't contain cleaning routines. The routines are stored in winapp.ini (and the optional download winapp2.ini).

There are programs listed in my Add/Remove - Control Panel list that aren't listed in CCleaner's "uninstall" list, and I was told to add the missing programs to winapp. But is that winapp.ini, or winapp2.ini.

I'll look around for the winapp.ini file now.

Thanks,

K

The reason these programs are not listed in CCleaner is because MrG has not yet created cleaning routines for those apps. That is what winapp2.ini is for. If you want those programs cleaned, you can make a text file in notepad with the cleaning routine, and simply save it as winapp2.ini. This way, you don't have to put the entires in the original winapp.ini file, so that if there is a bug, you won't have to reinstall CCleaner; all you have to do is delete (or edit) your custom-made winapp2.ini file.

The winapp2.ini file available for download on this forum is basically just a compilation of dozens of apps that other users have written cleaning routines for. If you wanted, you could download this file and add or remove entries to suit your particular needs.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!