Email Attachments

krit86lr

CCleaner cleans Email File Attachments. If I put "mailfileatt" in cookies not to clean, will Issues still clean it? I suppose that I could test it to find out, but I was hoping for a quicker answer.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

What are you using for an e-mail client?

I use Outlook. It's linked to my school's, and charter's email servers.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I'm confused ... I use Outlook and:

If you're using an Outlook Exchange server, the e-mail and any attachment should remain on the server until deleted. If you're using POP/SMTP, the e-mail and any attachment should download into your local .pst file (and whether or not a copy remains on the e-mail server will depend on your settings).

I'm not sure how a cookie would be involved or how Issues (rather than Cleaner) would clean it.

Do you perhaps mean the temporary copy of an attachment in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKxx folder ?

Outlook is dangerous, it is easy to get infected by viruses and worms etc by using Outlook.

You should consider Mozilla Thunderbird, the companion to Mozilla Firefox.

http://getThunderbird.com

Hi Eldamannen,

I appreciate the suggestion, and have been curious about Thunderbird for quite some time. Can I link it with my school's server? If so then I will be more than happy to make the switch. I only use Outlook so that I know immediately when I receive messages, and if Thunderbird has that option it would be fabulous.

Thanks,

K

I'm confused ... I use Outlook and:

If you're using an Outlook Exchange server, the e-mail and any attachment should remain on the server until deleted. If you're using POP/SMTP, the e-mail and any attachment should download into your local .pst file (and whether or not a copy remains on the e-mail server will depend on your settings).

I'm not sure how a cookie would be involved or how Issues (rather than Cleaner) would clean it.

Do you perhaps mean the temporary copy of an attachment in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLKxx folder ?

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I forgot that I posted this.

Attachments do remain on the server until deleted in Outlook.

And you are "right-on" about the Temporary Internet Files folder. I tracked down the full file path, and realized that it was an IE folder. Although I do still have a question. Even if the file path that you listed gets deleted by CCleaner why does that affect the attachment in Outlook's Inbox? I thought that I could open the attachment in Outlook to retrieve my information, but it said that the filepath didn't exist (something like that).

Thanks again guys,

K :)

Mysterious are the ways of Microsoft (and Outlook is probably their worst documented product) but ...

Depending on how you download e-mail and attachments, and then view them, you may be saving them to the temporary OLKxx folder. For instance, if you open an attachment and view it in Outlook, it will be cached in OLKxx. Since that is a subfolder of Temporary Internet Files, CCleaner will clean it. Even if you have the original in your .pst, when you go back, your app may be looking for the copy you viewed in OLKxx.

By any chance are you using Outlook Web Access (OWA)? I forgot about this third way of using Outlook to access an e-mail account. It only downloads into cache so, unless you manually save an e-mail and attachment to a safe folder on a local drive, it'll be gone at the end of the session.

By any chance are you using Outlook Web Access (OWA)? I forgot about this third way of using Outlook to access an e-mail account. It only downloads into cache so, unless you manually save an e-mail and attachment to a safe folder on a local drive, it'll be gone at the end of the session.

I use Outlook Express, but my school uses Outlook Web Access. You're explanation to this explains alot. :lol:

Hopefully, I can use Thunderbird. Still waiting on more information about it.

Thanks Glenn,

K

Yes, you can use Thunderbird with your school server.

Thunderbird supports POP3 and IMAP protocols over normal and over SSL connections.

Marvelous! Thank you so much Eldammen. I'll download it now.

:D K

I use Outlook Express, but my school uses Outlook Web Access. You're explanation to this explains alot. :lol:

Hopefully, I can use Thunderbird. Still waiting on more information about it.

Thanks Glenn,

K

You can use Thunderbird to replace Outlook Express. But if you use Outlook Web Access, then you are using an Exchange Server. Exchange Server can only be accessed with OWA or Outlook. Thunderbird *may* work with Exchange Server, but there is no guarantee. Outlook is built especially for Exchange Server; TB is not.

You can use Thunderbird to replace Outlook Express. But if you use Outlook Web Access, then you are using an Exchange Server. Exchange Server can only be accessed with OWA or Outlook. Thunderbird *may* work with Exchange Server, but there is no guarantee. Outlook is built especially for Exchange Server; TB is not.

Hi pwillener,

Thank you for the information (I didn't know). I sent an email to my studenmail, and it did appear in my Thunderbird Inbox.

I'm totally clear on your reply. Are you saying that my email can show up in TB sometimes, but not always?

Thanks,

K

Sorry for not being more clear. What I meant is that I would not try Thunderbird on an Exchange Server. Exchange Server is a modified form of IMAP that other mail clients (other than Outlook) may not handle correctly.

On this (work) computer I use two email clients

• Outlook for business mail on the Exchange Server
  • Thunderbird for my private mail using IMAP