CCleaner does not start

daniel.game

Don't do anything except what's instructed. I will tell you when to test the outcome. This will speed things up a bit. ;)

You repaired your permissions. Now reinstall SP4 like DjLizard suggested. The link is in DjLizard's post with instructions to reinstall in Safe Mode.

Do that, and then I will post the next thing to do. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Don't do anything except what's instructed. I will tell you when to test the outcome. This will speed things up a bit. ;)

You repaired your permissions. Now reinstall SP4 like DjLizard suggested. The link is in DjLizard's post with instructions to reinstall in Safe Mode.

Do that, and then I will post the next thing to do. :)

OK. I am downloading SP4. Big one.

OK. I am downloading SP4. Big one.

No kidding. I just downloaded it too, and it took a long time (2 minutes)! :o

After installing it, reboot again into Safe Mode.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Does this link work?

Microsoft SP4 Download-French

If it works. Reboot normally, and check for updates.

MS Updates - French

Reboot normally, and tell me if you succeeded with these steps.

I have installed the French SP4. I am going to reboot.

ok. check for updates, and if there are some reboot again.

ok. check for updates, and if there are some reboot again.

When I click on the link MS Updates - French, I get an error : approximate translation : error when loading the library/DLL of the ...

I click OK

and then I get a Firefox error, and Firefox goes down

When I click on the link MS Updates - French, I get an error : approximate translation : error when loading the library/DLL of the ...

I click OK

and then I get a Firefox error, and Firefox goes down

Use IE.

Use IE.

I did. And I went thru that sometime ago. I keep getting a message saying that Windows Update Site is not completely loaded, and that if I want the site to be loaded, I should click on Cancel.

When I do that, I get a screen saying that I should be logged on as an Administrator.

If I follow their instructions, I use the Windows Update function from the Start Menu, and log on as Administrator, but nothing happens.

I did. And I went thru that sometime ago. I keep getting a message saying that Windows Update Site is not completely loaded, and that if I want the site to be loaded, I should click on Cancel.

When I do that, I get a screen saying that I should be logged on as an Administrator.

If I follow their instructions, I use the Windows Update function from the Start Menu, and log on as Administrator, but nothing happens.

Maybe I gave you a bad link?

Log on as Administrator > then click start > All Programs > Windows Update

Maybe I gave you a bad link?

Log on as Administrator > then click start > All Programs > Windows Update

I already tried to log on as an Admin, following the process you described earlier, it did not work (ie I am not presented with the 2 options)

However, as it is explained in the MS Update site, I should be able to run Windows Update as an Administrator directly from the start menu, all programs, right-click on Windows Update, execute as .. it does not work either.

And it'll be it for today. It's quite late here.

Thanks a lot again. I am really sure that I need either to live with my problems, or to re-install from scratch.

Now use Dial-a-fix again, and see if the Windows Update section will run without errors. Also hit Flush SoftwareDistribution. If both run successfully, go to Windows Update. If WU still won't work, hit the green checkmark in DAF and wait for the entire suite of procedures to complete. Hopefully you won't get any errors. If all of the DAF stuff still errors, try it in Safe mode command prompt like before, but instead of going to Tools > Repair permissions, hit the green check and hit GO.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Now use Dial-a-fix again, and see if the Windows Update section will run without errors. Also hit Flush SoftwareDistribution. If both run successfully, go to Windows Update. If WU still won't work, hit the green checkmark in DAF and wait for the entire suite of procedures to complete. Hopefully you won't get any errors. If all of the DAF stuff still errors, try it in Safe mode command prompt like before, but instead of going to Tools > Repair permissions, hit the green check and hit GO.

I hope krit86lr will also see this reply.

Finally, everything works now.

I fixed my initial problem (ie could not use the uninstall function from the Control Panel) following the instructions of this site [http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329862&Product=win2000]. At the beginning it did not like my installation CD, but I insisted and it worked out well. Now my Control Panel works.

I tried CCleaner, got an error message. I simply uninstall it and reinstalled it, and IT WORKS !!!!!!

I'd like to thanks you guys for your dedication, time and help anyway.

THANKS.

wtf, that's the most annoying knowledge base article I've ever seen. Nowhere in there does it say what the problem is ;_;

"This issue may occur if a Windows system file is missing or corrupted."

It doesn't even tell you which file it is :(

A sad day for DAF, thanks to Microsoft :P (meaning: I can't add this fix because they won't say what it is!)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)