Old CCleaner bug

Staticguy

Hello folks! This is my first visit here and my first post :). I want to report a very old bug that hasn't been fixed for a very long time. Well that certain bug that exits in CCleaner is that it shows two version of avast and Macromedia Shockwave player. 

I also have an account for Avast Forum and a user reported this "Ok I know I should be hit on the head for this for not asking it earlier but Im seeing two avast! antivirus 6, and 8 under utilities in the applications menu of cleaner from the program CCleaner(free version). Not sure how I have two, Same thing with macromedia 10 and 11 (not sure how this got in). I probably just answer why my avast is having problem sense both could be conflict with each other when I hit quick scan, Still not sure how it showing up sense one should over right the other".

And I wrote this "Don't worry about CCleaner showing two version of Avast and Macromedia. Probably it's a bug in CCleaner. Your Avast is working fine".

The other user who knows about this very well said this "It's a CCleaner fault and one that needs to be fixed as it's been there since version 8 of Avast was released".

I am exactly not sure about when and which version of CCleaner detects two version of Macromedia Shockwave Player. Please refer to the attachment.

Will be very much appreciated that this get fixed asap.  

post-71393-0-27118600-1418122423_thumb.jpg

HP Pavilioin dv6-7031tx, Windows 7 64-bit (SP1), Windows Firewall, Avast Antivirus Free Edition SP1 2015.10.0.2208, Internet Explorer 11 (latest version), Google Chrome 39 (latest version), MalwareBytes Antimalware Free Edition 2.0.4.1028, SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime Professional Subscription 6.0.1164, AdBlock Plus 1.8.1, CCleaner v5.00.5050 (64-bit) Free Edition, WINRAR 5.20 (64-bit) Trail version, and Revo Uninstaller 1.95 Free version.

ccleaner use file/registry detection to detect application installed

that why it happen like this

it is a bug

but do not worry..you can enable both without any problem

winapp.ini v5

[Avast! Antivirus 4]
ID=2160
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0
Default=True
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report|avast.xsl;Resident protection.txt;Simple user interface.txt;Simple user interface*.xml
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log|*.*

[Avast! Antivirus 5]
ID=2161
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\5.0
Default=True
FileKey1=%ProgramData%\Alwil Software\Avast5\report|avast.xsl;avast.xsl;Resident protection.txt;Simple user interface.txt;Simple user interface*.xml
FileKey2=%ProgramData%\Alwil Software\Avast5\log|*.*

[Avast! Antivirus 6]
ID=2271
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\Software\Avast Software\Avast
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Avast Software\Avast

Default=True
FileKey1=%ProgramData%\Avast Software\Avast\log|*.*

[Avast! Antivirus 8]
ID=2324
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\Software\Avast Software\Avast
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Avast Software\Avast

Default=True
FileKey1=%ProgramData%\AVAST Software\Avast\log|*.txt
FileKey2=%ProgramData%\AVAST Software\Avast\Spamconf|*.bin.tmp*
FileKey3=%ProgramData%\AVAST Software\Avast\report|*.txt

Thanks for your mail dvdbane. We including myself at Avast forum are running the latest version of Avast 2015 and as far as I know during the past years and hearing about this bug when users tick the two items of avast when avast gets installed and they delete those two items from CCleaner their avast program can cause issues/problems and we have to tell them to run avast uninstall utility and re-install avast. Why does CCleaner detect Avast 6 and 8 when it's program is 2015 aka version 10?

If avast isn't installed in the computer CCleaner doesn't detect it. Just to be on the safe side we would like to have this bug fixed in CCleaner. It's been like this for many years!

Thanks.

HP Pavilioin dv6-7031tx, Windows 7 64-bit (SP1), Windows Firewall, Avast Antivirus Free Edition SP1 2015.10.0.2208, Internet Explorer 11 (latest version), Google Chrome 39 (latest version), MalwareBytes Antimalware Free Edition 2.0.4.1028, SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime Professional Subscription 6.0.1164, AdBlock Plus 1.8.1, CCleaner v5.00.5050 (64-bit) Free Edition, WINRAR 5.20 (64-bit) Trail version, and Revo Uninstaller 1.95 Free version.

• Moderators

are you saying that when Avast is NOT installed, macromedia and Avast previous versions do NOT show up, just the latest, installed version?

BTW, I have to respectfully disagree with @dvdbane, i don't believe it is a bug with CC.

One one CC's program detection methods is the Registry, if it detects Macromedia 10, it will be shown in the CC list.

If it also detect Macromedia 11, that too will be shown.

When an old version is superseded with a new one, if any Registry keys are left behind, that may be enough to 'trick' CC into thinking you still have it installed.  Finding the old key and manually removing them usually fixes the issue (but of course, the usual safety rules apply when fiddling with the Registry)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

YES when avast is not installed, avast previous versions DO NOT SHOW UP. If Avast is installed in the computer and you run CCleaner the two items of Avast shows up.  

About superseded with a new one, I reformatted my hard disk just to make sure. I then uninstalled Norton (pre-installed), ran it's uninstaller utility, and installed Avast and rebooted my laptop. Installed and ran CCleaner and BINGO the two items of Avast 6 and 8 shows up in CCleaner even though that was the first time I installed Avast. 

Also at that time I also installed Macromedia Shockwave Player and BINGO the two version of shockwave player shows up in CCleaner.

Looks to me it's a bug in CCleaner. Prove is in my first message of this post I took it directly from Avast Forum

@MTA

please view the bold "Detect" in my previous post

as you can see, avast v4 use \Avast\4.0 while detection for avast v6 and v8 using only \Avast which make it a general detection
v2015 will use \Avast too

that why when ccleaner add another detection [Avast! Antivirus 10], you will get three entry in ccleaner
deleting \Avast key is a disaster but i think avast will protect it

same that happen to Eset because Eset does not use specific registry to show whether it is a ESS or EAV

@Staticguy

the problem regarding after cleanup, i can't comment any further because i don't use avast

need feedback from other member who use avast

about shockwave player, i don't know how you get two entries because it's use different detection

[Macromedia Shockwave 10]
ID=2189
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10
Detect2=HKLM\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10

Default=True
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\statistics
FileKey1=%LocalLowAppData%\Macromedia\Shockwave Player|Shockwave Log

[Macromedia Shockwave 11]
ID=2190
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKLM\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11

Default=True
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\moviestats\movies
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\moviestats\sessions
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\moviestats\movies
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\moviestats\sessions
RegKey5=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\movies
RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\movies
RegKey7=HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Adobe\Shockwave 11\statistics
FileKey1=%LocalLowAppData%\Adobe\Shockwave Player 11|Shockwave Log

@dvdbane

I have Avast 2015 aka version 10. I don't see 3 entries at all only 2 entries avast 6 and 8 in CCleaner. Can I give a PM to a CCleaner staff member here so he/she can deal with this. I don't like to take risks deleting 6 and 8 even though avast 2015 is installed.

@dvdbane

I have Avast 2015 aka version 10. I don't see 3 entries at all only 2 entries avast 6 and 8 in CCleaner. Can I give a PM to a CCleaner staff member here so he/she can deal with this. I don't like to take risks deleting 6 and 8 even though avast 2015 is installed.

sorry, my bad :P

what i want to say is IF ccleaner add another detection which is [Avast! Antivirus 10] that use the same HKLM+HKCU\Software\Avast Software\Avast, you will get 3 entry in CCleaner

DON'T DELETE THE REGISTRY

it's not your fault, it is a detection bug in CCleaner

to be on the safe side, disable the entry until it is being fix

the dev do read thread but rarely comment

i hope a mod can come here and report this to the dev

Thanks dvdbane   :)

@mod and @dev:

Please see this post from the beginning and provide a fix asap. Much appreciated. Also one of the user at avast forum he has the Avast 2015 Free edition and also has CCleaner installed. Strange thing on his CCleaner is that even though Avast is installed CCleaner is detecting avast versions 6,7,8, and *more. He has given me permission to use his attachment and post it as part of my post. Please see his attachment below.

*Must be avast 10.

post-71393-0-47136600-1418162709_thumb.gif

I have a ccleaner listing of avast 6 and 8 also even though I run avast 2015.It is cleaning avast though.Does`nt seem to be doing any harm so I leave it alone  and keep both checked.

Also have a ccleaner listing for perfectdisk 12.5 even though I uninstalled it long ago and even went into regedit and deleted the registry key.Again not doing any harm so I just unchecked it.

@mod and @dev:

Please see this post from the beginning and provide a fix asap. Much appreciated. Also one of the user at avast forum he has the Avast 2015 Free edition and also has CCleaner installed. Strange thing on his CCleaner is that even though Avast is installed CCleaner is detecting avast versions 6,7,8, and *more. He has given me permission to use his attachment and post it as part of my post. Please see his attachment below.

*Must be avast 10.

the asterisk sign show that he's using winapp2.ini (ccleaner enhancement) and outdated one

avast 7&8 entry already removed in the latest version of winapp2.ini

there is no avast 10 entry yet so might be added on the next update

ok i will let him know about that. So in the next update for CCleaner will all the previous entries for Avast 6,7,8,9 will be removed and will only include avast 10 aka Avast 2015?

ok i will let him know about that. So in the next update for CCleaner will all the previous entries for Avast 6,7,8,9 will be removed and will only include avast 10 aka Avast 2015?

don't know for sure Piriform plan

just to make it clear, those asterisk entries are not come default with ccleaner

it is an external file, an addon called winapp2.ini , no official support from Piriform and should be considered as beta

this is the discussion thread regarding winapp2.ini, http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310&hl=

CCleaner entries = w/o *

Winapp2.ini entries = *

Sorry for late response. Thanks for your input dvdbane