Ccleaner V.5.0.0.5050 will not run on Win XP Computers

Urko

:wub: I,was very angry seeing such beautiful program,wrestling with a new Ugly Interface

and the fact that this program freezes (analyze,clean Up) and this on Windows XP ©

Computers.

You most take in account that still more the 1/3 of the world population is using XP.

I,hope sincerelery that this can be cured.

TIA

Roger

By means of experiment,and to exclude the installer,I ran the portable version.

1/The Problems,rest the same

2/There is no alternative to clean the crappy software

----->Ccleaner V.5.00.5050

As,President of a Large Computer Club,and als consultant for different magazines,

I 'l Instruct the members,readers to remove this version of the program

Reagards

Roger Van Nuffelen

Legal Counsil

I,Received an email from Piriform,asking to set (anny languages,in my case dutch,to English,

and the problem was resolved.

Qoute from the email:"

Is your version of CCleaner in French? If so, please can you change the language to English and see if this works?

This is an issue with the latest version of CCleaner which we are working on fixing.

Regards

Jack

I find the following :

Windows 7 - CCleaner v5 Analysis and cleaning fast - almost instantaneous

Win XP SP3 - CCleaner v5 - Analysis and cleaning slow and intermittent - for instance analysis spends ages on Internet Explorer Cookies - even when there are none.

• Moderators

Win XP SP3 - CCleaner v5 - Analysis and cleaning slow and intermittent - for instance analysis spends ages on Internet Explorer Cookies - even when there are none.

Try cleaning Internet Explorer using it's Internet Properties->General (tab)->Browsing History cleaners that are built into it, reboot your computer, and then try CCleaner. No guarantee that will correct the issue, however it's worth a try.

Try cleaning Internet Explorer using it's Internet Properties->General (tab)->Browsing History cleaners that are built into it, reboot your computer, and then try CCleaner. No guarantee that will correct the issue, however it's worth a try.

Tried this - makes no difference. The problems only began after update to  v5 - so it would seem that something about  this updated version is the cause.

• 3 weeks later...

If you overwrite with more than 1 pass it slows things down . . . could that be the issue?

FYI . . .

On win xp sp3, with Avast & SpywareBlaster, fairly fast computer, 6 or 8 years old. 

Just installed CCleaner ver 5.01.5075.  Checked most of the boxes to clean. 

Analysis took 2.167 sec, showed 7.73 gb to clean. 

Ran CCleaner with these options:  secure deletion, simple overwrite 1 pass, wipe cluster tips, wipe alternate data streams, 

Operation required 171.5 sec, 7.73 gb removed.

So, CCleaner is actually fairly fast here. 

In addition to the "normal" files to clean, there were 2,184 acronis log files, and in the recycle bin were all the "lang" files from several apps.  So, many individual small files. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

So, many individual small files. 

Small/tiny files (I'm referring to hundreds or even thousands of them) take longer to clean for secure deletion tools versus say just one big file - of course also depending upon the size of a big file.

Yes, true.  Each file must be treated separately.

Thats why I put all those in the recycle bin, to give CCleaner a bit longer workout. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.