CCleaner v.5 not working

Mulaw

I am on Windows 8.1 64 bits.

I downloaded and installed the latest CCleaner v.5 (64 bits) yesterday (2014-11-25).

The cleaning mode took an unusually long time to scan.
When the analyse results were finally displayed, the program itself stopped responding. Had to kill the program with Task Monitor.

I tried again a few times to no avail. Had to uninstall CCleaner v.5.

I have been using CCleaner for a very long time.
This is a first !!

I'm running windows 7, 64-bit and I can't get the free version to even install. I've been using earlier versions without an issue. Is the current v.5 release a Beta version? Don't recall there being any statement of this in the e-mail I received telling me it was available to download.

Could this failure be somehow related to the Windows Update KB3000850 ?

I installed it 10 hours before the CCleaner v.5 update.

Mulaw,

Run "Disk Cleanup" in Administrative Tools.  Right click on Disk Cleanup and select "Run as Adminstrator".  Check mark all the items that Disk Cleanup displays to clean.  One of these items should be Windows Update Cleanup and it will be many megabytes in size.  The cleaning process may take an hour or so if you have never done this before or because of the huge update of KB3000850.  After Disk Cleanup is completed, try running CCleaner again. 

Here is a MS link concerning Disk Cleanup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

siliconman01,

Thank you for responding. I just ran Disk Cleanup to erase the system files (± 400MB).
Unfortunetly, no improvements : After a new install, CCleaner v.5 froze again.

But CCleaner v.4.19.4867 (64 bit) works flawlessly on my computer, along with everything else...

I'm running V5.0 on more than one 8.1.1 x64 Professional systems and also on Windows 10 Technical Preview with no problems.  Can you identify which cleaning component is causing the hang?  Uncheck a block of say 5 items at a time and run the CCleaner to see if it completes.  I would start on the Applications tab first.  Once you isolate which cleaning item is causing the hang, then perhaps the developers can find the cause.  There may be a file on your system that is corrupt that is causing the issue. 

You could also see if starting CCleaner via "Run as Administrator" with all Monitoring turned OFF via Options>Monitoring helps. 

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

I will look into the settings and applications. I'll be back on this.

You say that you have no problems with CCleaner v.5 on your Windows 8.1 systems(*).
Do you also have KB3000850 installed as I do ?

(*) Win. 10 is a different matter...

I will look into the settings and applications. I'll be back on this.

You say that you have no problems with CCleaner v.5 on your Windows 8.1 systems(*).

Do you also have KB3000850 installed as I do ?

(*) Win. 10 is a different matter...

Yes, I have KB3000850 installed on all my Windows 8.1.1 x64 systems

• Moderators

Theres a bug in the current version for non-english. The devs are currently squashing it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I'm on windows 8.1 Single Language Spanish. I had the same problems as described above. When I re-installed CCleaner V5.00.5050 (not selecting Spanish) but yes selecting English: it  worked.!!!

Thanks. It's the same for me in french on Win 8.1 64x.

I've just changed the language in english and it works !

Ccleaner Professional v.5.00.5050 64-bit

Win 8.1 pro. spanish version.

updated two days ago.
on the first start.
cleaning files.
the program was hung and the computer.
I had to reboot.
in the second the program hung but the computer does not hang.
on the third attempt, the program worked fine.
EXCEPT duplicate finder.
after restarting several times still fails the duplicate finder.
initiates the process, then when the first page is full, the program hangs.

I updated windows and computer perfectly clean.