CCleaner Community Forums

Unable to install v5.0

• Moderators

maybe this is one of those rare times when you may need to uninstall the current version first, reboot, then install v5.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Same for my Win7 64 bit PC.  Installing hangs immediately after it begins, at roughly 3% of the length of the green progress bar.  Unfortunately, clicking on 'Details' just gives me a blank box with no text.

I've tried running uninstall first (uninst.exe, 150KB) but that hangs as well (at about 30% of the progress bar.)

I'm trying to update from V4.19.4867, which still works perfectly well.  This is the first problem I've ever had with CCleaner, and I've never had to uninstall between versions before.

Same for my Win7 64 bit PC.  Installing hangs immediately after it begins, at roughly 3% of the length of the green progress bar.  Unfortunately, clicking on 'Details' just gives me a blank box with no text.

I've tried running uninstall first (uninst.exe, 150KB) but that hangs as well (at about 30% of the progress bar.)

I'm trying to update from V4.19.4867, which still works perfectly well.  This is the first problem I've ever had with CCleaner, and I've never had to uninstall between versions before.

Having exactly the same issue on the same type system.  Hangs after a few seconds, task manager can't kill the process either, not quickly anyway.  I've never had this happen before and I've been using it for years. 

I too was unable to uninstall from Windows Programs and Features, but I also use JV16 Power Tools.  That would not uninstall either, but it has a "force uninstall upon reboot" option.  I ended up using that, when my system came back up, I ran JV again to clear the Registry, then ran CC500 setup and it installed fine, and works fine too.  So that is one solution.  But you'll need a program beyond Microsoft's uninstall to do it.  And CC's uninstall wouldn't do it either.  But I do have a clean version now which appears to work just fine.

I'm now in a worse place than I was when I started.

I downloaded JV16 Powertools, and tried 'Uninstall' rather than 'Force Uninstall with reboot.'  It deleted the desktop icon, the Languages folder and unist.exe, but left CCleaner64.exe.  Installing CCleaner v5.0 still hangs in the same place.  I've made a Desktop shortcut to still use the old version.  Hopefully that's okay.

Question:  Won't uninstalling CCleaner remove all my settings, plus my include and exclude lists? 

I am having the same problems.  This is so unlike CCleaner.  Will try some of the suggestions.

• Moderators

To those users having problems installing CCleaner 5

1. Do you have an older version of CCleaner installed?

2. Check the process list in Task Manager to see if there are any CCleaner processes running. (Let me know if there were)

3. If there are CCleaner processes kill them and try installing.

CCleaner documentation can be found here

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner

Support contact

https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

support@ccleaner.com