CCleaner v5.00.5050 looks like ****

Special

First post.

sorry to be so negative.  I have enjoyed using CCleaner  for many years but the new GUI is disgusting. It makes me not want to even look at the programme never mind use it. The flat "metro style" buttons are horrible and the washed out colours not easy on the eye.

Piriform what on earth were you thinking? It looks like it was designed by a touch screen tap-happy teenager. Please revert to the old style layout ASAP or the programme has to go from my PC.

Has Piriform really taken the time to peek at the new look on Windows 7?  Its horrible. 

I have already reverted back to the last version, and have been refusing to update since.

The new look is what I would call "diluted and washed out."  The Anorexic look.

Please!  Would love to have a skin choice!  To put some meat on those bones once more.

I've haven't witnessed this kind of backlash to a product since Coca-Cola tried to market "New Coke" back in 1985. :P  

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I agree that it needs some work, but I'm willing to give them a chance to fix it.  I've been a user for many years, and a paid user for the last two.  My point is, the software still works as well as it always has, and the interface did need a refresh.  Maybe it was released before it was really ready, but I'm confident they know it looks bad and will work to improve it soon.  Hang in there everyone, I think these people have earned our patience.

I have now re-installed version 4.19.4867, and I will now wait patiently for Piriform to give the option of the previous UI for those of us who are using Windows 7. 

Thanks very much, Piriform, for the excellent software you provide, and thanks in hope and expectation for sorting out this temporary glitch with the UI.

As I pointed out in another similar thread:

I created this account just now for one reason and one reason only - to echo this sentiment that this UI has got to be one of the most disgusting UIs I've ever seen.

• No Windows Aero
  • White title bar is just butt ugly and completely out of place with the greyness of the rest of the UI
  • Bottom grey bar is different grey than the left vertical bar's grey, in addition to being wasted space
  • No options to customize the UI in the settings
  • Solid colour buttons and solid colour background in general just look simplistic and lazy and 1990s
  • Title is centered rather than on the left, next to the program icon
  • Close button not flushly in corner
  • "Online help" button removed
  • Registry button used to use the Windows registry icon (a 4-sided 3x3 Rubik's cube, sort of) but now uses a generic four square icon which was completely made up and corresponds to nothing whatsoever, and the icon next to the "Registry Cleaner" header uses NINE cubes rather than the four in the left-hand icon!
  • UI does not meet user expectations based on 1-2 decades of standard convention in so many ways:
    • Items in the main Options window (e.g. dropdown boxes, checkboxes, etc.) inconsistently sometimes respond to mouseover and sometimes don't
    • "Windows/Applications" tabs make the selected tab smaller than the unselected tab
    • Lack of scroll bar center notches (or similar long established conventions) makes it ambiguous which portion of the bar represents the current scroll position
    • Fuzzy light grey text for checkbox items makes it seem like they're greyed out (unselectable)
    • Grey buttons on the right side in certain options menus, along with dull grey obscure text, makes them seem unusable/unselectable
    • Convention-defying checkbox categories (System, Windows Explorer, etc.) obscure the ability to click the category icon to select all items within that category (ditto for results window)
    • Resize dots on the bottom right have been removed, obscuring the ability to resize the window

It's important to emphasize that most of these problems are not matters of aesthetic preference, these are convention-defying changes that completely throw out the window everything that's been established from nearly two decades of UI and UX convention and make for a confusing, distracting, difficult, annoying, and anomalous user experience.

CCleaner 5.0 will make a fine addition to the PowerPoint slides of experts who illustrate to programmers what sort of UX/UI disasters to avoid. Perhaps the CCleaner developer(s) responsible for this train wreck would like to attend such lessons.

Has no one in Piriform's Sales Department noticed that the market is actively avoiding this type of interface?  Look at Windows 8 or QuickBooks 2014 sales.  Windows 7 sales are still strong; Windows 8 now comes with a downgrade license; Intuit is spending a fortune replacing the Metro-esque interface of QuickBooks.

My users won't tolerate an interface that is unpleasant to look at.  Thank goodness that FileHippo provides the option to download an older version.  Marketing 101: appearance matters.

I truly hope they'll fix the border buttons to normal Windows size. This is ugly, otherwise, the new UI is fine. Win 8.1 and now the perfect Win 10, so the UI fits except the border buttons/size.

These Metro-esque interfaces are why ClassicShell, Windows7Start, etc. are the most popular software installed on the Windows 8 platforms.  Skin replacers are more popular than Office at a 2 to 1 ratio!  People pay money to avoid this type of interface!

I sometimes fantasize about slapping interface designers.  Like now.  So sad.  Only the command line has a worse interface than Metro.

How do you think the discussion went in the board room?

"Hey!  Microsoft is taking a lot of flak over its interface changes."

"I heard that only one user in three likes that design."

"People are paying third parties to downgrade their computers to Windows 7 or switching to other platforms.  Microsoft is forced to lay off thousands of staff, because they can't recover what they invested in interface design."

"Wow!  We need a piece of that!"

Eventually, I'll find a replacement product and give them my money, instead.

I do not like the new look at all , clunky and way too white . What has happened to aesthetics these days !!   Went back to the last 4 version that I had stored in my downloads. 

I hate the  " Made for Tablets "  look when its running on a Windows 7 PC.

Why Why WHY must every friggin' software app now change to that dreaded UGLY Windows 8 / Metro / whatever look?

Up to now, I had never posted in or even read the Piriform Forums.  I never had a reason to.  Everything was always well with all the previous version changes.  The changes were always for progress.  And then came CCleaner 5.00.

Have we entered a time warp?  What's with the Atari 2600 graphics of the supposed "New & Improved" GUI of CCleaner 5.00?  I hated it from the very 1st second that I saw it.  I must admit I agree with the title of this thread.  Not only is the new GUI horrible and ugly ... it is actually more difficult to use because of the bad design.

I remember when Foxit Reader first changed to this ugly look as well.  I dropped Foxit Reader for PDF-XChange Viewer.

Then I went unhinged when avast also followed this trend and decided to go for the UGLY look as well.  Grrrrrrrrrr!

And now CCleaner has followed suit as well.  :angry:

The new CCleaner GUI is sooo ugly that I'm gonna have to do what others are doing and downgrade back to version 4.19.  As much as I despise the Windows 8 look ... the look of the last several Microsoft Office Suite versions ... and the look of the latest versions of several software apps ... the CCleaner 5.00 GUI has actually outdone them all in having regressed the most instead of progressing.  Very disappointed.

I agree that it needs some work, but I'm willing to give them a chance to fix it.  I've been a user for many years, and a paid user for the last two.  My point is, the software still works as well as it always has, and the interface did need a refresh.  Maybe it was released before it was really ready, but I'm confident they know it looks bad and will work to improve it soon.  Hang in there everyone, I think these people have earned our patience.

I don't have a problem with NEW GUIs / NEW Looks as long as they are for the better ... and as long as they're not that dreaded ugly Metro look.  That Metro look of all software apps that have chosen it needs to be buried back under the rock from which it crawled.

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire; if you're not a Piriform customer, what grounds do you have to demand a UI revert? Piriform are giving you CCleaner for free. How it looks or behaves is entirely up to them. 

True ... to a certain extent you have a point that as FREE users of CCleaner, we can't 'demand' a GUI revert / fix.  However, by the same token, the evidence is out there of what can happen when a new product or some aspect of it is just plain ole NOT liked by the masses.

Exhibit A:  Windows 8 has bombed.

Exhibit B:  As someone else pointed out ... New Coke bombed.

And I'm sure we all know of many other products, high tech or otherwise that no amount of marketing was able to save and make users / customers like them.

So sure, CCleaner is within its rights to stand its ground and stick with its new GUI.  But, it risks its users going to the competition.  For example, I for one, as I'm sure there are many others here, also use Glary Utilities and JetClean.

Another situation to consider:

As I pointed out on the avast forums when avast also went to the ugly look ...

There are of course oodles and tons of not quite computer-savvy computer users out there.  So, when they have to choose between 2 or 3 or more brands of a certain app for their computer, their ultimate decision CAN easily come down to which one looks the best / more awesome.  It might be an Anti-Virus, a CD Burner, an Image Editor or whatever, but yeah, for many people, the tipping of the selection scale can come down to which one looks best / more professional.

If an app's final product looks like an Alpha version work in progress created by a beginner Developer intern, the app can easily get pushed aside in favor of a better-looking app ... costing the company a customer / user.

NOT liked by the masses.

I think you should stay away from using terms like "the masses." CCleaner 5.0 has not been universally condemned; instead we're seeing a vocal minority dominate a discussion under the assumption that they represent the majority. 

There have been over one billion downloads of CCleaner since version 1.16.082, which equates roughly to 7.1 million downloads per release for 140-odd releases. A quick tally of the number of people complaining about the UI on this forum and on the release announcement (for the beta and stable versions) on Facebook gives approximately 350 disgruntled users. 

The number of people in "the masses" who are audibly upset about the redesign: 0.005%

Hating this redesign is not a majority opinion. The minority just thinks it is. In psychology, that's called a false consensus. In philosophy; an epistemic closure. In reality; a handful of whinging people who believe their opinion is more important than 99.995% of others.

I'm Shane.

I'll admit first I'm a 'free' user of CCleaner but have done my bit over the years on the many forums I'm subscribed to recommending it as an essential maintenance tool for those of any level of PC experience.

All users have a right to comment on how CCleaner looks it is up to Piriform to decided whether to take any notice of them whether enthusiastic about the new GUI or not.

The fact is I've newly register on this forum primarily so I can express my instant almost total dislike of the new CCleaner v5 GUI. I've put up with others of my favourite programs going down this awful chunky, touch-screen friendly redesign but enough is enough. Who on earth thought this crude looking thing was a good idea? It looks more like a GUI you'd have expected for a program running on Windows '95 not any 21st Century OS.

Only aspect I do quite like is the emboldened fonts used in some places but the rest......send v5 back to the drawing board of the designer who created it with a C minus on their report card. 

I've unistalled the update and gone back to the previous version.

I think you should stay away from using terms like "the masses." CCleaner 5.0 has not been universally condemned; instead we're seeing a vocal minority dominate a discussion under the assumption that they represent the majority. 

There have been over one billion downloads of CCleaner since version 1.16.082, which equates roughly to 7.1 million downloads per release for 140-odd releases. A quick tally of the number of people complaining about the UI on this forum and on the release announcement (for the beta and stable versions) on Facebook gives approximately 350 disgruntled users. 

The number of people in "the masses" who are audibly upset about the redesign: 0.005%

Hating this redesign is not a majority opinion. The minority just thinks it is. In psychology, that's called a false consensus. In philosophy; an epistemic closure. In reality; a handful of whinging people who believe their opinion is more important than 99.995% of others.

In logic, that's called a fallacy.

I didn't say everyone or the majority.  I said the masses ... as in a lot, as in more than the typical amount that happens when a new GUI is released.  This as in out of all the software that's going the flat, ugly Metro look route lately, aside of Windows 8, I had not seen any other software's new GUI get trashed to this high degree by so many users as I am seeing CCleaner 5.00's new GUI get.  avast got some heat for its change to the ugly look, but nowhere near what CCleaner 5.00's new GUI is getting.

Anyway, if what we the people who hate the new CCleaner 5.00 GUI look is simply a false consensus, then what you are doing is simply spin doctoring.  

We're not questioning / trashing CCleaner's functionality.  We know CCleaner is very good at what it does and that it is arguably, unofficially possibly the most well-known and most used of this app type.  What we are commenting on is CCleaner 5.00's GUI look.  So, whether CCleaner has had over one billion downloads amounting to roughly 7.1 million downloads per release in the past is moot as far as our current comments regarding CCleaner 5.00's GUI is concerned.  CCleaner didn't have an ugly look before while amassing that impressive number of downloads.

However, if Piriform decides to chalk off the negative commentary regarding CCleaner 5.00's GUI as just simply a 0.005% little group of disgruntled users, then that impressive number of downloads CAN decline.  It's a risk.  Maybe it won't decline, but it is a gamble.  It boggles my mind why ANY designer, creator, manufacturer of ANY product would not want to have its product be undeniably the most impressive, revolutionary and professional looking of its class instead of jussst barely doing enough to look like its competitors ... or in this case, worse.  Why be a simple follower when Piriform can be a Trailblazer?  Make the competition nervous or outright scared of your design prowess instead of simply tossing the importance of your GUI's look into the basement of backburner status.

How often do you see such an alleged minority all agreeing in this manner?  And common sense tells you, comnpared to what it has been before, that the new look is atrocious. 

You going to play this numbers game?  Survey takers know that when they ask a minority number.. the ones that speak up, often times represents the sentiment of a much larger number.   You are finding here the ones who *understand* how important this software is.  We are not the passive ones that download things simply to have them. And, if Piriform wants to have more people purchase their software?  Its not a good way to do it.  It now looks cheap and inexpensive.  Not worth paying for.

I didn't say everyone or the majority.  I said the masses ... as in a lot, as in more than the typical amount that happens when a new GUI is released.  This as in out of all the software that's going the flat, ugly Metro look route lately, aside of Windows 8, I had not seen any other software's new GUI get trashed to this high degree by so many users as I am seeing CCleaner 5.00's new GUI get.  avast got some heat for its change to the ugly look, but nowhere near what CCleaner 5.00's new GUI is getting.

It is also the masses who will without question eat the altered junk foods put before them. This is not an issue of how many.  Its an issue of right and wrong.

Does anyone really believe that Piriform will pay any attention to their user base?

Look at all the other software companies that went for the flat look (foxit, malwarebytes, etc) and how user complaints made no difference at all.

It would be incredible if Piriform suddenly announced that the UI would get a significant change as per user comments.

It's not going to happen.

The sad truth is, that Piriform, like other companies, will never understand that software development should be a co-operative process.

Not just making major changes and then giving users the finger, or the silent treatment (which seems to be what we are getting).