5.0 UI is a step backwards

Digerati

This is what I mean with the flat look: http://puu.sh/d8ii2/1e3e06b56c.png (note that the red X button visually doesn't touch the corner, but it is actually there - clicking the corner actually hits the button)

Unlike CC5 :mellow:

Totally agree the window of any program should respect the OS styling. Either that or get rid of that element altogether and don't have a Windows frame on the program.

Not to mention that custom window decoration also breaks mods like RBTray, Xtrabuttons, Windowblinds, etc for no good reason. Interoperability through standardization is more important than fancy looks and an identity.

I agree that the UI change is a bad one. It's too flat and too damned bright. Some parts of it (e.g. under Options > Settings and Options > Monitoring) reminds me of how older versions of Windows used to look after the OS had run out of GUI memory space. It's flat, lifeless, boring, and ugly.

However, I could live with the new UI, becuase usability has not suffered materially because of the simple UI changes.

My issue is that the new font is terrible. I am referring to the font change in the Include/Exclude lists, cookie lists, etc. This is not mere preference; it really is harder for me to use. This font is hard on my eyes. I hate it. In this respect, usability, for me, has most definitely suffered.

I for one say "Ver. 5.0 UI..............well done"......................................a nice yet simple, plain, easy on the eyes, clear and concise user interface, apart from the fact that it's "super quick" running on my newly built 64bit Win 8.1.1.

Thank you Piriform keep up the good & excellent work.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

I think "the eyes have it"!!!!!!!!!!!

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

You misspelled "my eyes". Unless you somehow magically speak for all humanity.

huh?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I created this account just now for one reason and one reason only - to echo this sentiment that this UI has got to be one of the most disgusting UIs I've ever seen.

• No Windows Aero
  • White title bar is just butt ugly and completely out of place with the greyness of the rest of the UI
  • Bottom grey bar is different grey than the left vertical bar's grey, in addition to being wasted space
  • No options to customize the UI in the settings
  • Solid colour buttons and solid colour background in general just look simplistic and lazy and 1990s
  • Title is centered rather than on the left, next to the program icon
  • Close button not flushly in corner
  • "Online help" button removed
  • Registry button used to use the Windows registry icon (a 4-sided 3x3 Rubik's cube, sort of) but now uses a generic four square icon which was completely made up and corresponds to nothing whatsoever, and the icon next to the "Registry Cleaner" header uses NINE cubes rather than the four in the left-hand icon!
  • UI does not meet user expectations based on 1-2 decades of standard convention in so many ways:
    • Items in the main Options window (e.g. dropdown boxes, checkboxes, etc.) inconsistently sometimes respond to mouseover and sometimes don't
    • "Windows/Applications" tabs make the selected tab smaller than the unselected tab
    • Lack of scroll bar center notches (or similar long established conventions) makes it ambiguous which portion of the bar represents the current scroll position
    • Fuzzy light grey text for checkbox items makes it seem like they're greyed out (unselectable)
    • Grey buttons on the right side in certain options menus, along with dull grey obscure text, makes them seem unusable/unselectable
    • Convention-defying checkbox categories (System, Windows Explorer, etc.) obscure the ability to click the category icon to select all items within that category (ditto for results window)
    • Resize dots on the bottom right have been removed, obscuring the ability to resize the window

It's important to emphasize that most of these problems are not matters of aesthetic preference, these are convention-defying changes that completely throw out the window everything that's been established from nearly two decades of UI and UX convention and make for a confusing, distracting, difficult, annoying, and anomalous user experience.

CCleaner 5.0 will make a fine addition to the PowerPoint slides of experts who illustrate to programmers what sort of UX/UI disasters to avoid. Perhaps the CCleaner developer(s) responsible for this train wreck would like to attend such lessons.

I just did the same and wanted to say thank you for saying it.

And I found out after 'liking' another post that I reached my like limit for the day - apparently only 1 per day.  Maybe newbies to the community only get one per day.  Sorry, I just checked the box about reading the T&C's, I didn't actually read them.

When I updated to the version, I thought, gee, why does it look like my ugly iPad menus?  The only reason I updated my iPad is because more and more apps demanded the latest version (or at least version 7, and I was on 6).  So I am stuck on it with the deflated balloon look.  Hopefully, the next update to ccleaner will be to put back the correct UI standards.  Or at least give us the option to do so.

And I found out after 'liking' another post that I reached my like limit for the day - apparently only 1 per day.  Maybe newbies to the community only get one per day.

The like buttons don't work, never have, so not just you :)

I created an account just so I cant post how much I HATE the new look of CCleaner.

Why does mine look all junky?

I HATE the new look but on top of it, the graphics are all choppy.

I use a higher DPI setting in Vista, maybe that has an impact on this new look but EVERY old version looked smooth.

In my book, if the UI isn't broke...then don't fix it.  There really was no need to change the UI.

In all the years I've used CCleaner this is the WORST looking UI EVER!

If you're not going to revert or give the option for "Classic" UI, then at least make it smooth and not look like it was made in MS Paint.

This is the PERFECT reason why I don't pay for "advanced" features...because if I was paying for this type of "development" I'd demand my money back and uninstall the software.

post-71289-0-05072800-1417449232_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one who also just cares about the technical side of things? The UI isn't terrible because it looks terrible (I kinda prefer the flat color style even), but because they went and used custom skinning on standardized supposed-to-be-native UI elements: scrollbars, buttons, the title bar, the window buttons, etc are all custom. That's just an awful idea, programs are meant to ask the OS to draw those because the OS knows what the user wants in terms of colors and such, and the user can have customizations and window management tools installed that won't work with custom windows. My Windows is themed gray and so all of my windows look gray... All except ccleaner. -_- They can keep the new flat style, but leave out the control element and window decoration. Window skins are for toys or programs that need to override OS graphics for technical reasons, like Steam has to do to be able to show its in-game UI. Ccleaner is neither of those. Skins make programs look alien, out-of-place, ugly and childishly attention-seeking.

Am I the only one who also just cares about the technical side of things?

Nope - custom skinning, dead space, confusing tabs. I don't really care about the ugly icons/colours, but those issues affect the usability of the program (in my opinion :ph34r: )

I also created this account just for this feedback and to say that this isn't the good way to go.

It feels so chaotic, confusing and annoying. Right now I just don't wanna to run it ever again.

It all looks lazy, unfinished, unprofessional and confusing, like the whole Windows 8. I'm graphic artist and I can easily tell you, that I would be completely ashamed to release Ui that looks this bad and confusing. This is just what I would use as a template not a finished product. And those Windows 8 unfinished icons everywhere :angry:...The older version was way more appealing for eyes than this, and it was much easier to use. Maybe some people with Windows 8 will like this, because it is in that metro theme(and that is the one of the reasons why I, and lot of other people will never downgrade to Losedows 8.)  but for people with windows 7 with Aearo it is completely out of place. It is like playing videogame with resolution 400x300 pixels on 4K 36" screen.

Please, don't do this to us, it makes the whole Ccleaner less useful for most of your customers. Don't force us to use older versions of ccleaner. I mean, I can't find half of the things now, even though they are at the same place...And I haven't got this problem even when I launched cclaner for the first time all those years back.

Solution:

Bring us the "Classic Look" option please. 

Hi all,

Just created an account so i can add voice to the -ve brigade.

New 5.0 UI really is pretty bad AND do i detect that cleaning is taking a bit longer too?

Worst is, ive deleted the .exe for the previous version as i tend to once i load the latest~had i not id be straight back to using the old one~i actually refreshed the page twice as i thought it hadn't loaded correctly~that's how bad the new UI looks to me!

Hope hope hope Piriform moderators read and compile a rudimentry poll of opinions ; if so will we be granted a new 'old' look???

CANT COME SOON ENOUGH

I also created this account just for this feedback and to say that this isn't the good way to go.

It feels so chaotic, confusing and annoying. Right now I just don't wanna to run it ever again.

It all looks lazy, unfinished, unprofessional and confusing, like the whole Windows 8. I'm graphic artist and I can easily tell you, that I would be completely ashamed to release Ui that looks this bad and confusing. This is just what I would use as a template not a finished product. And those Windows 8 unfinished icons everywhere :angry:...The older version was way more appealing for eyes than this, and it was much easier to use. Maybe some people with Windows 8 will like this, because it is in that metro theme(and that is the one of the reasons why I, and lot of other people will never downgrade to Losedows 8.)  but for people with windows 7 with Aearo it is completely out of place. It is like playing videogame with resolution 400x300 pixels on 4K 36" screen.

Please, don't do this to us, it makes the whole Ccleaner less useful for most of your customers. Don't force us to use older versions of ccleaner. I mean, I can't find half of the things now, even though they are at the same place...And I haven't got this problem even when I launched cclaner for the first time all those years back.

Solution:

Bring us the "Classic Look" option please. 

Not to undermine your point, but let's not generalize all Win8 users as Metro users. I love Win8 because of the flatter colors and icons, but I also think Metro is awful (and I say that being a long-time dedicated programmer with experience in and knowledge of a lot of digital stuff). The funny thing is that many people don't seem to realize win8 also has a normal desktop with normal windows, and that I for example haven't seen Tiles, Charms or Metro windows since... ever. It's just like using Win7. I had a friend who'd rather die than use Win8, but when he told me his reasons I debunked every single one of them and made him try anyway. He admitted he had been absolutely lazy in searching for settings and replacement programs and that it really isn't all that different after all if you know how to tell the crappy features to get lost and stay gone. The way you're ranting now is very much unlike rational criticism and more just "it's different and I'm too lazy to learn how to apply my old habits to this stuff".

But yeah, Metro by itself is ugly enough, I don't want to imagine how ugly a Metro window looks under Win7.

I'm sure they are well aware of all this and I'm betting that they'll get it fixed.  I've been using CCleaner for many years and I've been using the Pro version for the last couple.  They have earned my trust.  I do like the direction they've taken with the new UI, but it really needs to be refined.  I am glad I don't have to look at it that long, though. :(

All that counts for me is the functionality; I really don't give a damn about the UI.

It's not like we are looking at that software all day long; I use it once a day before shutdown.  I have no problem using it; it works just the same way as with the old UI (but it does seem faster!).

That's the excuse I heard several times on the avast forums regarding the change to the ugly look by avast.

I mean, none of us spends most of our entire days looking at our vehicles, but we also don't prefer to be driving an ugly rusted box with 4 wheels only because it manages to get us from point A to point B.  I'd hate to see the car manufacturers suddenly start reverting to coming out with NEW designs that were of the 1930s and 1940s styles.

Changing to the Metro look is equivalent to cellphones changing back to the Brick Phone look.  :o

Everyone cares about UI. Some people just have low standards, and/or don't realize that the UI is an issue until ... it is.

Take the font I mentioned for example. Not everyone is 13 years old with great vision. A simple font change can make the UI a nightmare to use for some people.

There is a reason that big companies hire UI professionals (who make very nice 6-figure incomes). This is because UI matters. If customers can't find what they need easily enough, they will move on.

If UI doesn't matter, than why don't we all just edit the INI file and use a CLI version instead? Why not use text-based web browsers while we're at it? Only a bloody fool doesn't think UI matters.

• Moderators

Everyone cares about UI. ... Only a bloody fool doesn't think UI matters.
You're confusing UI with aesthetics. The huge deal the vocal minority is making about this aesthetic choice, one which requiress less resources for the CPU to draw by the way, is what one would expect from a catastrophic program defeating bug, not (what most people would call) a minor visual choice. This choice, by the way, falls in line with not only the direction Microsoft want UI development to go, but also the direction all major players in the computer world (PCs, Smartphones, Tablets). AREO got just as much hate mail, as flat schemes are getting now, when Microsoft began using it.Again, I want to repeat, flat style allows the CPU/GPU more user accessibility because it is less resource intensive.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Something doesn't add up.  Computers and microprocessors are getting more powerful, faster, faster and faster and yet software GUIs are heading back to the look of the 8088 microprocessor days.

Early last year I still had as my main computer a 3rd hand dinosaur computer with a Celeron processor and only 286 Meg RAM running Windows XP ... and it had no trouble displaying the old CCleaner GUI.

You're confusing UI with aesthetics. The huge deal the vocal minority is making about this aesthetic choice, one which requiress less resources for the CPU to draw by the way, is what one would expect from a catastrophic program defeating bug, not (what most people would call) a minor visual choice. This choice, by the way, falls in line with not only the direction Microsoft want UI development to go, but also the direction all major players in the computer world (PCs, Smartphones, Tablets). AREO got just as much hate mail, as flat schemes are getting now, when Microsoft began using it. Again, I want to repeat, flat style allows the CPU/GPU more user accessibility because it is less resource intensive.

This guy gets it.

Please remember though that while most people are nagging about the UI because it's now flat and they don't like flat, there are also those who oppose the new UI because of its awful window frame and custom decoration of control elements. On Win7, a single program using the flat style isn't gonna do a thing about performance (the performance boost depends on how exactly the new look is achieved anyway) and only sticks out like a sore thumb. Win8 already has the flat style natively, overriding it with their own custom one is just wrong on so many levels. Note that styling the content of a window in terms of background colors, edge lines, etc is a very different thing from styling control elements and window borders. The former is (somewhat) acceptable, the latter is most definitely not. The window's contents are a program's playground, the window itself is not.