CCleaner 5.0 beta GUI

TheAslan

I, too, created an account to talk about the new GUI. But it seems I don't hate it as much as other users.

I don't mind the GUI in a design sense. By that I mean that I like the flat look, though I liked the old look just as well.

I just want to point out the functional cons of the new GUI:

- The title bar is way larger and doesn't follow the color scheme you have set in Windows anymore (Pointed out by many)

- The Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons are not positioned normally, making it unnatural to click on it (-Mirage- also pointed this out)

- The click on the Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons already registers when you hold the mouse button down, making it minimize/maximize/close before you even let go of the mouse button. This is a huge design flaw, in my opinion. It should register on mouse button release!

CCleaner 5's GUI is just so ugly plus that fact that I install CCleaner on many computers every month during remote help, I just had to uninstall the newest version and reinstall an older version that works beautifully on Windows 7 64 bit.

CCleaner 3.27 build 1900

327-1900_zps1c2d639a.jpg

"better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Can we please get this topic moved to the BUG REPORT FORUM so that the developers may take notice and fix v5.

I understand that the SUGGESTIONS forum does not get their undivided attention.

Alan I know that the devs are aware of this thread containing opinions about the new GUI.

(yes they do read the suggestions thread!!)

We appreciate that, thanks Piriform ;)

- The click on the Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons already registers when you hold the mouse button down, making it minimize/maximize/close before you even let go of the mouse button. This is a huge design flaw, in my opinion. It should register on mouse button release!

Didn't noticied it. But you're right : this doesn't respect natural behaviour of the system, and as it appears to be a tiny detail, it's disturbing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the look of the new CCleaner. I downloaded it the first day it became available and made my criticisms known in another thread. But I wasn't sure that anybody else cared, and I thought maybe everyone else liked it. I guess not. Maybe the flat, blocky look fits in more with Windows 8, I don't know. I do know that I dislike the look of Windows 8 (I don't have a touch screen monitor, and I use Windows 7), and I dislike the look of new CCleaner as well. The new interface is not only hard on the eyes, it's actually harder to navigate. Because nothing is outlined as sharply, things on the screen are no longer so clear-cut and easy to identify. In fact, this new GUI reminds me of something out of the 1950's. Remember when animated cartoons lost their detail and dimension in the Fifties and started looking cheap and "modern"? (OK, the studios were losing money on their cartoons by then and WERE trying to make them more cheaply, and it looked it.) Well, that's the way the new CCleaner looks to me: cheap and ugly.

I suggest that either Piriform redesign the GUI or at least give users a chance to choose the design they want.

Well if they do not go back to the old UI than I will be moving to something like Bleachbit which is an opensource plain jane cleaner that is still better than this awful UI.

Thanks for the Bleachbit tip.  I may use it in the future, although I'm not ready to give up on Piriform just yet since I'll wait and see how they respond to this graphical FUBAR in future updates.  But it's always good to know it's there.

After I posted my comment the other night, I deleted the v5 straight away + downloaded my old faithful v4.17.....I have no probs with that + after looking at that monstrosity....It was like a walk in the park.....

One other thiing that I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, was the 'check for updates' button at the bottom of the right hand side of the page....I could only just see the top of the writing as the rest was obscured by my taskbar + once it had decided to freeze on me, I couldn't get off it either.....Oh well....Good ridance v5.....At least till it has had a good dose of plastic surgery + a user friendly bypass....But thanx Piriform....I do still love v4....... :rolleyes:

I'm really sure that UI "improvements" like themes and any kind of non-standard controls is the absolute evil for the utility sets like Pirinform's one.
You guys make the sysutils that support a bundle of OSes. The eyes of Win2003/2008/7 guys are bleeding. But my eyes (Win8.1) are bleeding too because actually that is not a Win8.1 UI but non-working imitation.

Ask yourself a simple question - is there anything in the UI than cannot be nicely painted and aligned with standard controls.
The answer is - definitely not.

If I was a project owner I would just terminate all the exercises with "themes" and so on "design" bulls**t and rollback the UI to something like CCleaner 3.x.

The design of CCleaner 5 is not tolerable. This Win8 design looks impossible on Win7. You get eye cancer by looking on this.

I have to uninstall the version 5, before I get sick..

Very bad work for me!