Windows Prefetch Items

Pearform

• Moderators

That entry deletes old prefetch data, not just prefetch data for apps that no longer exist. At a certain age prefetch is useless (to some) while newer prefetch is pertinent (for most users if pcs). Thus prefetch which has been untouched is exactly what ccleaner's junk cleaning routine is useful for

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

That entry deletes old prefetch data, not just prefetch data for apps that no longer exist. At a certain age prefetch is useless (to some) while newer prefetch is pertinent (for most users if pcs). Thus prefetch which has been untouched is exactly what ccleaner's junk cleaning routine is useful for

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.  I tried it on a computer about a week after a fresh OS install, and it cleaned out a bunch of Prefetch items.  Then I tried it again about a week later, and it cleaned out several more, including applications that I had used regularly.  A week later I repeated the process, with the same results.  What do you think is happening?  Bug or by design?

• Moderators

I think, though may be wrong, that you're noticing something that may not actually be what you're describing. I don't know exactly the mechinisms of the Windows prefetch files, but have never had any issue with or caused by that section of ccleaner, however if you're worried just uncheck the box for cleaning the section.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I've found that since moving to Win 8 Prefetch seems to hold more than one entry for an application. So a cleanup of Prefetch occasionally removes old entries for CC and Recuva, which are frequently used. However there is still a more recent Prefetch entry for these which remains.