RFE: Option to purge DOM Storage (for all web browsers)

VanguardLH

For what it's worth, I was mildly curious that although I had DOM store enabled I had nothing in the LocalAppData DomStore folder. So I did a little Googling and found that the DomStore on my box - Win8 with IE10 - was at C:\Users\Me\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore.

Disappointingly there wasn't much in it, about twenty folders, some empty, holding around 50 files with a total of 7k of data. What's more I ran CC Cookies clean and all the files were deleted, except for container.dat which was emptied.

So I'm happy with the current setup. CC does remove Dom store - in my case.

I think that where the DomStore is located is set at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\LowCache\Extensible Cache\DOMStore\CachePath, Whether the value in this entry is what CC uses is anyone's guess.

did you find out what happen after you clean Cookies?

for me, IE9,win7x86 SP1, same thing happen for XP http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42366&hl=

winapp2 entries that i use for XP and Win7

thnx to Andavari for XP detection

added SpecialKey1 because i disable default Cookies entry

[Cookies*]
LangSecRef=3001
Detect=HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Default=False
SpecialKey1=N_INT_COOKIES
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore|*.*|RECURSE

• Moderators

What's more I ran CC Cookies clean and all the files were deleted, except for container.dat which was emptied.

did you find out what happen after you clean Cookies?

I'm not sure what you mean, after I ran a cookies clean all the cookies in the DomStore location were deleted and the folders left empty.

I have no Winapp2 or anything: my point is that bog standard CC (portable) does remove DomStore cookies, contrary to what others are reporting (on IE10 anyway). I don't know why there is this discrepancy, I have read reports that the DS location can be corrupted in the registry, but knowing what's going off on others' pc's is not easy.

Of course any cookies in CC's exclude section will not be removed from DomStore.

Disappointingly there wasn't much in it, about twenty folders, some empty, holding around 50 files with a total of 7k of data. What's more I ran CC Cookies clean and all the files were deleted, except for container.dat which was emptied.

you have about twenty empty folder where normally there should be only 4 folder with an index.dat (normally for IE8 and IE9)

by running Cookies cleaning in IE8 and IE9, each used folder will be left empty and new folder will be created and use

this will repeat for every cleaning till i don't know how much is the maximum folder can be create before maybe IE itself delete the folder

that why i put that link and ask if you can find whether the duplicate problem happen in IE10..if you read the thread, you'll know the problem

for IE10, probably index.dat change to container.dat..i don't know cause i only have IE8 and IE9 to test..will test on ie10

I think he was referring to his post (number 23 in this thread)

Thinking perhaps that you may have commented on his findings.

Oh Okay, but I wasn't since you can see I quoted VanguardLH. 

I'm booted to Windows 7 IE11 anyway and what Augeas was posting about was a different setup, and so there's nothing I could comment on.

It's all good though, thanks for the reply, appreciated the thought.

PS.

Did I say how much I appreciate CCleaner, as well as Recuva - both Excellent programs!

• 2 years later...

Experiment with this .BAT script; this works in my case (Xeon, Win7x64Pro, FirefoxX64 rev54.0). Not using and deleted Internet Explorer.

I was surprised to find out that over a period of ~1year the DOMStore folder accumulated in excess of 15000 (fifteen thousand! :blink: ) empty folders.

(And running CCleaner 5.26 does add 4 empty folders each time. Possible bloatware/malware? TBD)

I did write the below DOS.BAT script that clears and deletes the DOMStore folder and (most of) its contents:

cd C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft

attrib "Internet Explorer" -h -r -s

cd "Internet Explorer"

attrib DOMStore -h -r -s

cd DOMStore

rmdir /s /q .

cd ..

rmdir /s /q .

I hope this points some of you into the right direction.

• Moderators

That folder location can be added into CCleaner's 'Options->Include' to add the folder location, however that isn't the only folder where DOMStorage resides. It's also in the SystemProfile located in C:\Windows - both areas accumulate data.

• 1 month later...

Looks like everyone or most respondents focused on just Internet Explorer.  I said "All web browsers have had the DOM Storage feature for many years now."  Each web browser (that CCleaner supports) is listed as a separate program under the Applications tab (with the exception for IE which is shown under the Windows tab).  Each web browser has its own location for its DOM storage whether that be in a folder or within a database file.

If DOM storage is saved in a folder, tis easy to eradicate outside of the web browser, like adding the folder to the option in CCleaner to delete files in that folder.  If DOM storage is saved in a database, it must be determined if that database contains only DOM storage or other data for the web browser.  If only DOM storage is stored in the database file then the file could be deleted by CCleaner.  However, if other data is stored in the database file then unwanted side effects happen by deleting that database file.  Piriform probably won't write scripts in CCleaner to run SQL commands to modify the database file to remove DOM storage.  So if DOM storage cleanup is added for a web browser that combines DOM storage and other client data inside the same database then CCleaner would need to show "DOM Storage + <listOther>" for the option to have CCleaner delete the database file.

While includes can be added within CCleaner to delete data that it does not currently cover, that was not the intent of CCleaner or its use by users.  Users could probably defined includes for everything that CCleaner now cleans up.  Who want to do that?  There would be no point in installing CCleaner to do all those user-specified cleanups.  Users could write a batch file for that.  CCleaner is a convenience tool.  It is NOT convenient to keep defining workarounds using includes on what to cleanup.