A Pop-up on PC about a new version, in fact is not

ixl8888

I have 3 PCs (Win7 Home Pre, Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1). All PCs are already using the latest version 4.19.4867.

The Win 7 Home PC suddenly displayed a pop-up window saying a new version of CCleaner () is available, click the Upgrade button to get it.

I was surprised by the pop-up window, not displaying the installed version # and just gave me an Upgrade button.

Naturally, I did not click on this button. Instead, I went separately to Piriform website and looked up.

No new version available as I am already using the latest.

My 2 other PCs do not have this problem, however.

What is going on?

A week ago, I had the same PC gave me the same pop-up window.

So I reformatted the HDD and installed Windows from scratch.

I installed the usual programs, with the AVG Internet Security software.

I thought this new install should fix this message. Apparently it does not.

Does anyone have this experience?

What should I do?

Thanks

• Admin
Hi - Welcome to the Forum :)

There as been a false message due to a corrupt update checking process and it can be solved by re-downloading and installing CCleaner.

You can download the latest version of CCleaner directly from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

When you are prompted, save the installer to your Desktop and when it has finished downloading, just double click the file and follow the instructions.

I have 3 PCs (Win7 Home Pre, Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1). All PCs are already using the latest version 4.19.4867.

The Win 7 Home PC suddenly displayed a pop-up window saying a new version of CCleaner () is available, click the Upgrade button to get it.

I was surprised by the pop-up window, not displaying the installed version # and just gave me an Upgrade button.

Naturally, I did not click on this button. Instead, I went separately to Piriform website and looked up.

No new version available as I am already using the latest.

My 2 other PCs do not have this problem, however.

What is going on?

A week ago, I had the same PC gave me the same pop-up window.

So I reformatted the HDD and installed Windows from scratch.

I installed the usual programs, with the AVG Internet Security software.

I thought this new install should fix this message. Apparently it does not.

Does anyone have this experience?

What should I do?

Thanks

Prevent a headache as many have had with the newer versions "system monitoring" and updates,and you may want to go back to version 4.17 for now until they get all the bugs fixed with the newest version.

• Moderators

@ pompste..

We get the message.. you don't like monitoring, along with some other users.

No need to keep posting the same thing repeatedly as it's starting to look a bit spammy now.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

To Administrator,

Not trying to be spammy but I have Win. 7 Pro. with the latest ver. 4.19.4867 also and since October when I originally downloaded this version to my desktop and installed from there I also keep receiving the notice that CCleaner has a new update but is the same one from October. Now you stated that downloading the update to the desktop and reinstalling will fix this but it has not. Just thought you should know.

• Moderators

@Keith2 thanks for your report, as a quick follow up can you run through the following steps

1. If not already set, go to options and turn the setting to save settings in ini format

2. copy said ini out of the ccleaner folder

3. Uninstall ccleaner

4. Reboot (jic)

5. Reinstall ccleaner

6. (optional but it'll get your cookies to keep and other settings back) after removing any monitoring settings that may be a bother to you from the ini file (hint:newer settings should be near the bottom, but crtl+f will be an aid here nonetheless), copy the ini file back to the ccleaner folder.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com