ewido micro scanner

hazelnut

• Moderators

If you don't use Internet Explorer as your browser you will be able to use this scanner from ewido as an alternative to the online scan. It can only be seen on the page by non IE users apparently.

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Hazelnut,

I checked out your link (thanks by the way), and this is what it said.

Requirements for running the online scanner.

* Windows 2000, XP and above.

* Internet Explorer 5.0 or later with Active X enabled.

Was this the right link? It says Online Scanner Beta, and if you DON'T use IE you can only get a mini version. If you have IE you must enable Active X from Tools > Options > Advanced.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I think that the mini version is the one she is referring to. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

Also, if you are brave and patient you may want to try this link Trend Micro Virus Scan.

You have to disable Adblock and in my case I had to remove AdAware SE Personal.

If it works for you on your first try you may like it, if it doesn't don't spend a lot of time on it because a lot of users here feel it is too problematic. In its defense, it works well on my PC and finds malware other scanners don't. Also, they appear to have recently made improvements to it and it works better than it used to.

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know what you think :).

I think that the mini version is the one she is referring to. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

Also, if you are brave and patient you may want to try this link Trend Micro Virus Scan.

You have to disable Adblock and in my case I had to remove AdAware SE Personal.

If it works for you on your first try you may like it, if it doesn't don't spend a lot of time on it because a lot of users here feel it is too problematic. In its defense, it works well on my PC and finds malware other scanners don't. Also, they appear to have recently made improvements to it and it works better than it used to.

Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know what you think :).

Hey Mike, I checked out your link. For OS requirements it says XP, SP1, but not SP2. Are you using it on SP2? Also it gives to Core Engines options. 1. ActiveX Core Engine, or 2. The Java VM Core Engine.

Do you have a preference on the engines? I don't know which one to choose.

Thanks!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Yes I'm using SP2 (it actually saved this old PC :) )

Active X or Java both work with IE, Java only works with Mozilla Firefox. They seem to work equally well so it's your choice :)!

I'm running the Ewido micro scan now and it seems to be running well although the definitions file took awhile on my sad dialup connection...

Forgot to mention don't be alarmed by the 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 DAY estimates the timeline on TrendMicro gives at first, they go down quickly!

Yes I'm using SP2 (it actually saved this old PC :) )

Active X or Java both work with IE, Java only works with Mozilla Firefox. They seem to work equally well so it's your choice :)!

I'm running the Ewido micro scan now and it seems to be running well although the definitions file took awhile on my sad dialup connection...

Forgot to mention don't be alarmed by the 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 DAY estimates the timeline on TrendMicro gives at first, they go down quickly!

Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow. Dial up! Lordy, lordy. You must be a very patient person. ;)

i had a problem with the housecall scan until i disabled my Norton firewall, after that i had no problems at all.

It's wierd how different PC setups react so differently to the TrendMicro app. For some reason it just won't run on my PC if I have AdAware, but AdAware never found anything other than cookies on my PC which CCleaner takes care of anyway.

Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow. Dial up! Lordy, lordy. You must be a very patient person. ;)

Patient, not so much. Financially challenged would be more accurate!

It's wierd how different PC setups react so differently to the TrendMicro app. For some reason it just won't run on my PC if I have AdAware, but AdAware never found anything other than cookies on my PC which CCleaner takes care of anyway.

Adaware is the only thing that does find anything on my machine, but you're right. They usually are cookies. I would like to add though, that today I ran CCleaner...then ran Adaware - and Adaware found a lot of stuff including cookies. I just occurred to me that the cookies shouldn't have been there. <_<

I'm interested in trying something new. Thanks again.

If you don't use Internet Explorer as your browser you will be able to use this scanner from ewido as an alternative to the online scan. It can only be seen on the page by non IE users apparently.

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Wow thanks for the heads up hazelnut, when discussion first began about ewido on this forum i sent a email to ewido requesting a non IE online scanner. I guess this does the job :D .

• Moderators

I guess this does the job

It does. And whatsmore it doesn't write any data into the registry, however it's more of a type of app for high-speed Internet connections hence it will automatically download the signature files each time.

It does. And whatsmore it doesn't write any data into the registry, however it's more of a type of app for high-speed Internet connections hence it will automatically download the signature files each time.

Even though it's a little slow on dialup I like it because it works with Firefox, found cookies other scanners didn't, and in fact is actually browser independent once installed.

Thanks hazelnut :)!

Still on a slow connection then Andavari :blink:.

• Moderators

Still on a slow connection then Andavari :blink:.

Yeah, well the only high-speed provider in my area is Mediacom which was formerly AT&T and still owned by AT&T to my knowledge which was an ISP that I sicked my lawyer on for trying to screw me over when I had a cable modem in 2000 - hence the reason I don't want anything from them.

Yeah, well the only high-speed provider in my area is Mediacom which was formerly AT&T and still owned by AT&T to my knowledge which was an ISP that I sicked my lawyer on for trying to screw me over when I had a cable modem in 2000 - hence the reason I don't want anything from them.

:lol: , if you dont mind me asking what did AT&T do?

• Moderators

:lol: , if you dont mind me asking what did AT&T do?

1. False T.V. advertisement price versus the real price.

2. Overcharging me and acting as if I was getting a good deal, refer to #1 listed above.

3. Giving me nothing but trouble to disconnect the service.

3a. Stating I had to drive my cable modem to their main office which was a two hour drive to another city altogether - yet they have an office in my city. I declined that.

3b. Stating I owed them money - which was in reverse they actually owed me money - go figure.

... Then came my lawyer; I gave him all my bill statements from them and the dups/carbon copies of all the personal checks I had wrote them and they graciously disconnected the service. They gave me one free month of cable T.V. without me asking - they just didn't charge me for a month, they had offered me three free months of high-speed Internet but I declined for obvious reasons.