"error 2" - Speccy v1.26.698 (64 bit, Win 7 SP1)

waynewta

I'm getting a dialog box that reports "CPU dll init failed (error 2)! Some information will not be displayed!" and then Speccy goes on to report: "Cannot initialize SPC dll" under the next four categories - CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and Graphics. This is a relatively new problem. I have always been running Speccy, this and earlier versions, on my HP AMD dual core 64-bit 8GB laptop running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

Thanks

• Moderators

Does the issue go away if you revert to the previous version?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

It means that the WMI subsystem in Windows is corrupted/damaged. There's a program called "Windows Repair All In One" that can fix that problem. (www.tweaking.com).

Follow the instructions provided. Disable internet & Anti virus and run the program with the default boxes ticked (Under the tab "Repairs"). Running the program should take about 20 to 30 minutes.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the help. MTA: I can't check to see what happens with older versions of Speccy because I didn't keep copies of them. This being the Internet, however, I'm sure that if I scoured the Internet I could find an earlier version. Willy2: I am going to try your suggestion although I must admit that I have some trepidation turning off my anti-virus program and letting a program that I've never heard of run on my computer for 20 minutes. Your positive this program is safe?

Thanks,

Wayne

• Moderators

Old versions can be downloaded from here, they are listed on the right-hand side of the page

http://filehippo.com/download_speccy

Windows Repair can be downloaded from here (just scroll down page slightly)

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Windows Repair is widely used on most Malware Removal forums, plus it is a great tool to keep in your toolbox (I keep it myself) The developer of it is a member here. 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

- If you turn off the Anti virus then you should "turn off" the internet first.

- "Windows Repair" tries to put/puts a whole range of things in Windows back to their default state, including WMI.

I "turned off" my Avast anti-virus program by taking a chance and deleting it and then rebooting. I then restarted Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and ran Windows Repair (all in one.) I chose the option to allow Windows Repair to run in Safe Mode. I then checked the box to fox WMI and ran Windows Repair. I rebooted and tried Speccy. Same problem. The I went back into Safe Mode with Networking and let Windows Repair fix everything that it normally fixes by default. I rebooted and ran Speccy. Same problem continued. I'm confounded. Any other suggestions? (I must admit that Windows Repair is a nice program that I will keep in my emergency repair toolbox.) BTW, I reloaded Avast as my last step, updated it, and then ran it. It did not detect any issues after a full scan. Same with Malwarebytes.

Thanks,

Wayne

- When run in Safe Mode a number of repairs simply won't work. If you have version v2.10.1 then you must prepare your system for running in Safe Mode. The program has an additional button for that.

- It's HIGHLY recommended to ALWAYS run the first 5/6 repairs

- DO NOT run Windows Repair in Safe Mode with Networking !!!!! That's why you need to "switch off" the internet.

I have solved the problem! I appreciate all the help from the members and I have tried your suggestions but in this case I had to re-load Windows. (No, it's not as bad as it sounds. What I ended up doing was, in effect, repairing Windows which I'll describe in a moment.) I tried using Windows Repair All In One to fix the WMI subsystem. While that didn't solve my Speccy problem, I do think that the Windows Repair utility is one that is worthy of adding to my tech toolbox. I ended up using it to make a number of tweaks, unrelated to the Speccy problem, so I'm glad that "Willy2" made me aware of it. Here's how I solved the Speccy operation problem: "CPU dll init failed (error 2)! Some information will not be displayed!" and "Cannot initialize SPC dll" under the next four categories - CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and Graphics. First I should mention that I am running Windows 7 64-bit SP1. Everyone using Windows 7 should be on SP1 which you get by simply running Windows Update - multiple times, restarting each time, if necessary until your computer is up to date. The I used Windows 7's built in backup and restore program. Finally, Microsoft has equipped Windows with a backup and restore program that can take a blank (let's say brand new) hard drive, and restore a mirror image of the system backup. These days backup media tends to be a USB hard drive with capacities ranging from 500MB to 3TB. They tend to be quite inexpensive. I started backup and restore (that's what it's called on the Start menu) by clicking Start and then typing "backup" into the search box. Choose the option "backup and restore" which typically should be the top option. When the program starts, if you haven't done so already, insert a blank DVD disk and choose the "Create a system repair disc" option. When complete, label and save the disc. Then, using a USB external hard drive of the type I previously described, create a "system image" which is a byte by byte copy of the comtents of your hard drive. Click "Create a system image" in backup and restore. There is no need to perform a regular file by file backup which is useful if you,say, messed up a document and wanted to retrieve a previous version of it. What you want is an insurance policy provided by the "Create a system image" option which gives you the ability to restore your system in case anything should go wrong in the following steps. You will need your bootable Windows 7 64-bit installation disk. Microsoft makes this disk available for free in ISO format on its web site. If you should download Microsoft's ISO formatted version, you will need a program than can extract the files from an ISO file and then burn them to a DVD. If you purchased your version of Windows 7 (and the corresponding DVD) before the SP1 release came out, Windows will not let you overwrite the newer SP1 version with the older original release of Windows 7. In that case you will be forced to download the SP1 release from Microsoft's web site. How can Microsoft make it's Windows operating system downloadable for free? It can because you will need your install key to activate windows and you will be prompted for it so have your install key available. Next boot from your Windows 7 SP1 DVD. (You make need to make a BIOS setting change so that your system attempts to boot off of the CD/DVD before the C: drive.) Choose "Install Windows" You will be presented with two choices which are rather self explanatory. The top choice, which is the one you should select, preserves your Windows installation including your programs and files. The second choice (do not select) does a fresh Windows installation and wipes clean all of your files and programs. The process can be quite time consuming and at times you might wonder if your computer is stuck. If you have to, walk away from your computer for an hour of two. It will eventually finish. After promting you for your installation key and taking you throught the Windows activation process, your system should behave just like it did before, with all of the desktop items in place. The only difference for me is that now Speccy runs properly. A lot of effort just to get Speccy to run properly, admittedly, but the issue suggests that there may have been things wrong with my underlying Windows installation - things that I fixed by reinstalling Windows. Finally you will be aked to, or it will run automatically in the backgrouns, installs lots and lots of Windows Updates. Here again, start them up and then walk away from your computer. When you come back, everything should be working normally. Wayne.