CCleaner skips cleaning Google

theronstar

When I press the button Run CCleaner it scans and cleans everything but Google Chrome.

I see this on the results page every time. 

It doesn't bother me because you gave me a free, helpful app to use. Though for your own information I decided to write to you.

Thanks,

Ronald

• Moderators

double check you not only have Chrome closed down, but that there are no background Chrome-related programs running.

so check Task Manager and go into Advanced Settings in Chrome to stop all running background tasks when Chrome exits.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

There seem to be a ton of Chrome processes when I open Task Manager - even though I am not explicitly running Chrome.

As suggested, I unticked the "running background tasks" box in settings but in spite of this the processes still appear in Task Manager.

One by one I tried to "end task" in Task Manager but when I did this Chrome keeps coming back on the list!

• Moderators

In chrome have you done...

Menu, Settings, Show advanced settings... uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed''

Also do you have something such as an IPAD or android phone which is re-syncing your Google Chrome settings as soon as you clean them?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

do you have any other Google products in the System Tray, say, Google Drive, or Google Sync for Outlook etc?

you can always run CC with the PC in Safe Mode just to get over this hurdle until a more permanent solution is found.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Yes if your smartphone is off it could still be a problem. AFAIK Sync in chrome is done by each device constantly listening in case another device does something (unlike Firefox sync which I think, but might be corrected by @Winapp2.ini, happens at program open/close)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I checked my system tray but cannot see any related icons to Google.

However even when I close Google Chrome there are still 20 instances of Chrome in my Task Manager and I just cannot 'end task' on them as they keep creating the process again.

I disabled the sync on my mobile phone to see if that will help but it didn't.

I haven't ran my PC in Safe Mode for a while now but when I next do I will try the cleaner again and update you accordingly.

Thanks