Problem Updating Windows Defender via Microsoft Update

Ultimate Predator

• Moderators

I removed Windows Defender after the update fiasco, however that wasn't the only reason I ditched it; I started noticing it was taking a hellish amount of time to open some folders on my system, as soon as I removed Windows Defender the slowdown was gone.

• Moderators

Nope, its still screwy

I don't know how many times I rebooted "hoping that would work" until it finally pissed me off seeing the "updates are ready to be installed" in the taskbar. I don't have the patience or time to deal with a 1.8 MB download/update of it's signature files if/when they won't even install. They really need an incremental update feature.

Problems with the now obsolete Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 which were mostly system-wide issues like 50% or higher of CPU usage forced me to uninstall it - which was only a few days before Windows Defender Beta 2 was released. I'm not even going to bother with Windows Defender once it's released as a final stable build. I personally think MS would be better off licensing something like Spybot - Search & Destroy hence it works and at least the signature files can be manually downloaded and installed.

Mine worked for several days and then it quit updating also (can't remember which code or update) so I uninstalled it (twice now), removed all reg references, and files. But now I get this: "W.D. was unable to complete the update: 0x8007064c. The installation source for this product is not available. Verify the source exists and that you can access it." So screw it for now! I'm down to Spy Sweeper, ewido and NOD32 all licensed and monitoring, although I realize S.S. is really the only one of those considered specifically for spyware (by most accounts the best though). I've posted the problem on a MS W.D. web site and if I don't get it rectified I might reinstall Spyware Doctor (Maybe the scan disc issue will go away! See post in The Lounge.).

I might reinstall Spyware Doctor

Avoid that like it's the plague. There are so many false positives it's amazingly stupid.

I have a shortcut to a folder on my desktop. A simple .lnk file. It told me this was a keylogger trojan.

Tarun, I'll say this for it. Thanksgiving and Christmas my nieces and nephews are here gaming and messaging. They leave and SD finds nine and seven spywares respectfully. Now I'll never know whether they were alerted and then just closed the alert or the malware got by it and MS Anti Spyware, but it still found them after the fact. Really, two of the few times spyware has ever been found on my pc, with any application, so I'll give it credit for that. I did not have Spy Sweeper nor ewido at the time. Both times I ran the scan with SD first, so I don't know if a MS AntiSpyware scan would have found them or not.

I find this amusing! I'm a Windows Defender pioneer, in that I must have produced a new update trouble code (0x8007064c) that they hadn't seen before. I have a post on the MS Windows Defender forum for almost 48 hours now with no response by anyone. lol!

Will it not update? I am going to guess. Don't change anything, just tell me if you have this key.

Look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsDefender\SignatureUpdates

In the right window do you see...

UpdateOnStartup REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

You are helping to make Defender better. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

In the right window do you see...

UpdateOnStartup REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

You are helping to make Defender better. ;)

Krit, that is what I have there, what are you saying that it means?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Honestly why do any registry hacks or whatnot to fix an MS problem. If it isn't updating MS has screwed up yet again and it isn't worth bothering with until they officially fix it. If it's broke let them fix it, and it isn't worth being an MS Beta Test Monkey either.

• 3 weeks later...

I have downloaded the update, but it will never install. The overall progress will reach the top and then it will say failed! And this is either through the automatic updates in the taskbaror via the website link.

After a Norton Update a few weeks back I had "2" annoying problems with Microsoft updates. Here is an excerpt from Compass Rule Manager (Microsofts Help Desk).

1)

"In the meantime, I would like to explain on March 1st, a new version of WGA (Windows Genuine Activation) engine was released, which will overwrite the previous files, and provide a more powerful function for system validation. If the new WGA engine could not be installed, it was most likely caused

by one of the following factors:

1. A security program running in the background is preventing the validation tool from running properly.

2. The permission settings in this system are inappropriate.

3. The previous WGA engine is corrupted.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that this issue has brought to you, please be assured I will try my best to work with you on this issue. Now, please let us take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

NOTE: Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any the third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or Web accelerators (Programs associated to boost up the Speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, MacAfee, etc.)

, I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

Step 1: Reset permissions

===================

This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take us some time, your patience is highly appreciated.

1. Please click the link below and download the tool.

http://www.ecs-safe.com/Reset_subinacl.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Save the attachment to your desktop.

3. Right click the Reset_subinacl.ZIP file and choose Extract

4. Follow the instructions and there will be two files (reset.cmd and subinacl.exe)

5. Double click the reset.cmd file

6. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

(NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted that "Finished, press any key to continue")

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the WGA toll again. If it still cannot be installed, let's move on to the steps below to manually install it. "

Left the 2nd part out since the first worked!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>>

2)

"SYMPTOMS

After you uninstall and then reinstall Microsoft Windows Defender Beta 2, you may receive the following error message:

Windows Defender definitions haven?t been updated

If you check for updated definitions when this occurs, Windows Defender reports that no updates are available.

Back to the top

CAUSE

This problem occurs because after Windows Defender Beta 2 has been reinstalled, it does not automatically obtain new definitions until the next definition update is published on the Windows Update Web site.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}, and then click OK.

2. Open Windows Defender. To do this, click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.

3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates. "

Hope this might help.

UncleDoug