"Roaming" in Analyze Results

MGATigger

Hi,
     Could someone please explain to me what "roaming" means when it comes up in listed file results when running "Analyze". This has come up when Analyzing: Recent Documents, Applications, Office 2013, Picasa 3 & Google Toolbar IE. "Roaming" comes up in files I would Not want to delete & also haven't used in quite a while. Thank you.  

• Moderators

I guess you mean files with the path c:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\etc...? Some Windows temp files, I don't know what part they play in  the grand plan. None of my roaming files have any meaningful or relevant names.

• Moderators

the only time I see ...\Roaming\... files is from my Custom entries.  mainly log files and Apple backups.

I assume your PC is (or was) part of a domain network - that is, it connects to a server and you log on with a username/password (and a domain name is also shown on the login window)?

The Roaming folder, I believe, is where Windows puts your personal files so that they are available on whatever PC you may log onto when part of a Domain, as say, compared to a normal workgroup environment.

If you aren't part of a Domain, I'd be chasing up why my files in in the AppData\roaming folder as you probably aren't looking there to backup your files.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I read the above link. Thank you. The article did not mention this specifically, but based on what the article did say, perhaps I have these Roaming files because of a computer share? Meaning where I have remotely let someone else take over my computer in order to assist me with something. Also, I had 2 laptops crash this spring. My new laptop has all from previous laptops transferred to it. Would these possible computer share files transfer with data to my new laptop? All transfers & shares were done by professionals. Some of these files I have accessed recently & some not in a long time. I am the only one on my laptop & am not connected to any other computer or network. My concern is, these roaming files shown after "Analyzing" include important file names/locations such as tax files, documents & photos. I want to understand why they are included in a roaming file. Secondly, if it is alright to allow CCleaner to delete them, leaving All original files & data intact? Thank you.    

from the link given by @Augeas

Into that folder might be placed things like default templates, configuration files, and other support data that applications might use that a) might be different for other users of the machine, and B)aren’t your actual working documents.

you should only read "AppData\Roaming at home" if you're not connected to any corporate environment

My concern is, these roaming files shown after "Analyzing" include important file names/locations such as tax files, documents & photos. I want to understand why they are included in a roaming file. Secondly, if it is alright to allow CCleaner to delete them, leaving All original files & data intact? Thank you.    

might be Recent Document

if the file name ended with .lnk extension, it is Recent Document