WARNING: New buggy feature introduced - Think carefully before updating from version 4.17 to higher builds

c627627

exactly, if they can't respond to their customers, and not make Monitoring the default, then I'm fine with 4.17 forever.  I've lost confidence in future releases anyway now.  wtg Piriform, alienate your own customers, good marketing strategy.

For all my clients, I install useful softwares (such as the AV, MBAM, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner. . . ) so that they do stuff automatically.  

Both clients appreciate it.  :P  

I can see a benefit to having CCleaner work automatically for users who just turn the computer on, use it, and turn it off.

That includes most people, imho, and for them automatic cleaning will probably prove useful.   

For me, I don't let anything update, run, or phone home automatically.

Most of those options are easy to select when installing CCleaner. 

After installing, ticking 2 boxes and a popup turns off the monitoring function.  Easy, just not obvious. 

After that CCleaner leaves no running processes. 

I have no idea what CCleaner sends or receives when it installs.  Doesn't matter to me, I trust the Piri team. 

Someone else may know how to shut off the phoneout, I don't.

If it is a huge issue, just disconnect from the net before installing it, it will never again try to phone out unless you have it set to do so. 

Edit 05nov14:  Not sure the sentence above still true, a newer version may phone out more often than just once. 

That covers all the material issues I can see in this topic. 

Right now the newest version of ccleaner is running here exactly the same way as the much older version did. 

I'm not an employee, not very tekkie, just a forum hanger-on with no agenda except to say that CCleaner is a pretty good product, and the monitoring function has not changed that.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

If the thank button worked here I'd press it on @login123's above reply

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I agree.  If a software can not be controlled, out it goes. That's the reason for the sentence in post #52 that says:

"If it is a huge issue, just disconnect from the net before installing it, it will never again try to phone out unless you have it set to do so."

CCleaner will only try to phone out at the point of installation, not later, and even if it succeeds no harm is done. I've tried it. 

I don't care enough about it to install and run some sort of packet sniffer to see what is going out or in, but that is an option.

I use Process Explorer and TCPView from sysinternals to watch what is happening on this system.

Bit off topic, but, fwiw, Avast is an exception on this old xp computer.  It does a lot of communication as soon as the net is connected.  I don't know what that is and don't much like it, but i do like Avast, so I tolerate it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Because there is nothing personal about this, I am inclined to agree that a lot has been done to make the program seem to work like it used to in version 4.17.
I am curious if the program still tries to register itself to run at windows startup on clean installs? It tried to in 4.18 upgrade but not in 4.19.

I think it's important to clarify what this is about. The program had options to disable monitoring in version 4.18. Those options did not work as we found out the hard way.
So options are still there but and hopefully they now work, this should have been mentioned as fixed in release notes.

At any rate, even if fixed:
Who thinks that the majority (more than 50%) of users want CCleaner permanently running? I don't think we do, so it's just easier to be installing 4.17 where we don't have to bother with options on each computer we install this on.

P.S. Firefox > Right click > Languages... really does activate spelling on this forum, thanks for the tip.

Because there is nothing personal about this, I am inclined to agree that a lot has been done to make the program seem to work like it used to in version 4.17.

I am curious if the program still tries to register itself to run at windows startup on clean installs? It tried to in 4.18 upgrade but not in 4.19.

I think it's important to clarify what this is about. The program had options to disable monitoring in version 4.18. Those options did not work as we found out the hard way.

So options are still there but and hopefully they now work, this should have been mentioned as fixed in release notes.

At any rate, even if fixed:

Who thinks that the majority (more than 50%) of users want CCleaner permanently running? I don't think we do, so it's just easier to be installing 4.17 where we don't have to bother with options on each computer we install this on.

P.S. Firefox > Right click > Languages... really does activate spelling on this forum, thanks for the tip.

My reply is clear, until Piriform changes the default to not include monitoring, I will never upgrade past 4.17.  the whole thing stinks, and who in the hell requested this any way?  I can't believe ANYONE did, but they had to do it for some unforeseen reason, which makes me skeptical period.  this has to be one of the worst software upgrades I have ever seen, for any windows tool.  it went from a highly useful tool, to something I can't explain, but I want no part of it.

• Moderators

I always thought there were only ever a few reasons to get any new software version;

• you want some new, offered feature
  • the new version fixes a known bug
  • to get help, you need the latest supported version

If none of those apply, why upgrade (no malice intended), stick to the version you know and trust.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Seems like everyone has pretty well established and intractable positions.   

Not much to be gained by restating them.

All the questions asked by c627627 in post #1 are answered.

Why not just close the topic?  Just sayin . . .

• Moderators

Because if I did I'm sure to be roasted by rabble rousers of being a censoring dictator... not to repeat my assertion from post 27 or anything. :P

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yep, possibly so.
Still, it has become obvious that indyrod and c627627 are more interested in reiterating their complaints than accepting explanations.

4 pages, nothing new.

Maybe one of the other moderators will close it and you won't have to be the bad guy.

• Moderators

although I agree the topic has gone full circle, while it remains in a 'healthy debate' state there should be no valid reason to close it.

after-all there were no questions asked originally in post #1, this thread was started has a discussion and not a request for help.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

The topic won't really go anywhere since Piriform fixed the ability to turn-off monitoring. However complaints users have with their opinions or dislikes is the only way to let Piriform know what people think of features, etc. I don't feel the need to close the topic - as long as the topic remains civil. What Piriform does is up to them.

Just my opinion.

• Moderators

I agree, as long as the thread stay civil there should be no reason to close it.

Perhaps one of the things users don't care for is monitoring being on by default at install and they want it to be opt-in.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

. . .

Maybe one of the other moderators will close it . . . .

. . . or not.  :huh:

There is an unanswered question: Does the program _still_ try to register itself to permanently run at Windows Startup on clean installs, like it tried to starting with version 4.18?

I never understood why people don't simply unsubscribe to non-rule breaking threads that annoy them?

Users don't care for monitoring being on by default at install and they want it to be opt-in. Many do not have an account here to express that opinion because they'll just bend and go through options on each and every machine they install CCleaner in the future. If the program still tries to insert itself at startup, that would clash with the very purpose of installing it and people would cancel and uninstall. So this is correct:

Perhaps one of the things users don't care for is monitoring being on by default at install and they want it to be opt-in.

• 5 weeks later...

Version 5 cements the new unwanted features as defaults:

Version 5 registers itself to run at Windows start up. So a program many people use primarily to clean cache etc. on demand is inserting itself to run at startup BY DEFAULT.

Version 5 informs you that it is now PERMANENTLY running by default -  MONITORING your computer...

This is not what most users want. We don't want CCleaner running permanently, by default. It's so much easier to just install version 4.17 and never upgrade.

Version 5 cements the new unwanted features as deafults:

Version 5 registers itself to run at Windows start up. So a program many people use primarily to clean cache etc. on demand is inserting itself to run at startup BY DEFAULT.

Version 5 informes you that now it is is PERMANENTLY running by deafullt -  MONITORING your computer...

This is not what most users want. We don't want CCleaner running permanently, by default. It's so much easier to just install version 4.17 and never upgrade.

this is ridiculous, I'll never upgrade from 4.17, and turned the automatic upgrade off.  if they can't relent to users request, then they have no interest in us, and I'm very satisfied with NOT having a feature I do not want, automatically installed against my wishes.  big mistake on Piriform's aggressive updates, and they can keep their updates to themselves, I have no interest.