New PC?

mpossoff

Might be a stupid question.

When is it time to get a new PC?

Our pc is almost 5 years old. Don't seem to have any major problems with it. Seems to run fine.

Our kids use it to primarily check out web pages and I use it mostly for surfing and for my business.

What are the signs when it's time to get a new pc?

Honestly I don't want to spend the money if I can help it.

Take Care,

Marc

Hi incy, yes our pc does everything we want it to do.

When our kids want to play games, not very often, that's when we sometimes run into issues; computer slow. I assume it's because the CD takes up alot of space. Someone told me when they want to play a game, again not often, just install the game and when they're done un-install it. When they get into a run of playing games it's kind of a pain to install and re-install; time consuming.

But again mostly we all just use our pc to surf the web, check out different sites. I use it for my business. Often our kids like to play games, liten to audio on specific websites which are web-based games(don't have to download), etc.

Possibly I can look into adding more memory. I believe that our pc might have more "space" without spending a ton of money on a new pc.

What can we do to keep our pc maximized all the time? I do the suggested anti-spyware recommendations from this forum at least once/twice a week and run a disc defrag once a week.

Marc

Does your pc do everything that you want ti to do?

Are you happy with the way it works if so, i would probably keep it til it finally goes bang !!! Don't spend the money on something that doesn't need it.

When you wish to buy a new PC is entirerly up to you.

My PC is over 5 years old I think, but I am quite happy with it, its not slow for me.

If you need play latest game, then you need new PC, but if you just like to check websites, etc then you dont need a new PC.

If you are satisfied with your PC, then dont waste money on buying a new and getting a machine more powerful than your needs, instead spend that money on something else such as a new TV or something. :)

But if you are not satisfied with your PC, you feel it is slow, dont work good, unstable, etc and its 5 years old then maybe you want to buy a new one then you can do that.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Hi incy, yes our pc does everything we want it to do.

When our kids want to play games, not very often, that's when we sometimes run into issues; computer slow. I assume it's because the CD takes up alot of space. Someone told me when they want to play a game, again not often, just install the game and when they're done un-install it. When they get into a run of playing games it's kind of a pain to install and re-install; time consuming.

But again mostly we all just use our pc to surf the web, check out different sites. I use it for my business. Often our kids like to play games, liten to audio on specific websites which are web-based games(don't have to download), etc.

Possibly I can look into adding more memory. I believe that our pc might have more "space" without spending a ton of money on a new pc.

What can we do to keep our pc maximized all the time? I do the suggested anti-spyware recommendations from this forum at least once/twice a week and run a disc defrag once a week.

Marc

Stuff taking up too much "space" is most likely not the reason that the computer runs games slow. Having your hard drive filled up with junk can slow it down somewhat, which is due to fragmentation and such, but that is not what makes your games slow.

If you wanted to upgrade (which wouldn't really be worth the time/money on a 5 year old comp), I would recommend more memory (RAM), and perhaps a new video card. RAM does not give you more space for video games and pictures and such, but it does improve your computer's performance. If you want more space for files and games, get another hard drive.

But if the games aren't a big deal, and you're happy with your computer's performance otherwise, stick with your computer as is. There is no need for you to upgrade. And once you do upgrade, you will become cynical and pissy like me, cause you will want to upgrade again two weeks after you do! :P

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!