CCleaner Application tab

Jack_BMN

Are the utilities/services (under applications tab) already there (as in preset)? or are they there because i have those programs? it lits avg from grisoft but i dont use that...I DID use it, however.

So basically im just confused as to whether it scans the PC and finds that you use those programs or if theyre pre listed.

Are the utilities/services (under applications tab) already there (as in preset)? or are they there because i have those programs? it lits avg from grisoft but i dont use that...I DID use it, however.

So basically im just confused as to whether it scans the PC and finds that you use those programs or if theyre pre listed.

The list of programs under the 'Applications' tab are only programs that are on your computer. All of the programs that CCleaner is able to clean will be under that list.

Also, periodically, apps which you don't have will show up under that list. This is because you still have some registry entries which pertain to the listed app. Sometimes when you uninstall a program, the program will not properly remove all of itself, which might cause CCleaner to still list that program after you have already removed it.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

The list of programs under the 'Applications' tab are only programs that are on your computer. All of the programs that CCleaner is able to clean will be under that list.

Also, periodically, apps which you don't have will show up under that list. This is because you still have some registry entries which pertain to the listed app. Sometimes when you uninstall a program, the program will not properly remove all of itself, which might cause CCleaner to still list that program after you have already removed it.

How can i get rid of those other entries? thanks

If CCleaner lists any programs that you don't have on your computer, the best way to remove them is to find their entries with regedit.exe.

Click 'Start' and then 'Run...' and enter in "regedit" (without the quotes). This will open up the Windows Registry Editor. Click 'Edit' and then 'Find...' (or Ctrl+F) to bring up the registry search window. To find items pertaining to the programs you no longer have, enter in a word that has to do with the program.

For example, if you no longer have WinZip installed, but it still shows up in CCleaner, type winzip in the search bar. Then click 'Find Next', and decide if the item found pertains to the program that you removed. If it does, delete it. If you don't know whether or not it does, it is best to leave it. Keep searching for useless entries until you have searched the entire registry and removed them all. This will most likely solve your problem.

I had this happened to me with Paint.NET. After I uninstalled it, it continued to show up in CCleaner. After removing two entries from the registry, it no longer showed up. Problem solved.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Entries in Regedit might not appear under their brand name, so try looking ni Program Files/CCleaner at the file winapp.ini - don't edit it, but see what each app is looking for. If you see

[Grisoft AVG 7.0]

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Grisoft\Avg7

Default=True

FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data|*.log

FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin|*.*

FileKey3=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\$history|*.*

FileKey4=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|*.log

FileKey5=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin|*.*

FileKey6=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|$history

FileKey7=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|*.log

FileKey8=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data|*.log

FileKey9=%windir%\Application Data\AVG7\Log|*.log

You can see, in this case, CC is looking in the registry at HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) for Grisoft\Avg7.

Not all apps will be this obvious :)