Android features

RonH

When cleaning does this software first advise the proposed cleaning line-by-line prior to doing the actual 'clean' eg does it operate in the same way as in Windows where you can protect certain entries?

If I clean the cache or browsers, does this delete saved Bookmarks?

Thanks 

Ron

• Moderators

Sorry about the lack of input Ron, but without official documentation, or an Android phone I have no idea what CCleaner will or won't do, and I'm in possession of neither. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

However, a quick search of the Piriform site reveals this ...

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-android

As you can see from the graphic, there is an "Analyse" function and check boxes.

Thanks Dennis. I looked at this and tested one of the analysis but it just showed 'how much' and 'not what' was to be deleted. I will keep a lookout and post here if there is something of interest.

Ron

Hi Ron, could you please let me know which browser you use.

CCleaner for Android is designed to remove application cache, provided the browser is storing its data correctly it should not store permanent data e.g bookmarks in the application cache area of the device. You should be able to safely clear your cache without losing any bookmarks. If in doubt, I would recommend backing up the bookmarks before attempting to clean. I run both the default browser and chrome without loss of bookmarks from cleaning cache.

Additionally, CCleaner for Android does not allow for protection of specific application caches, this is due limitations by the Android OS which only allows global clearing of all application caches via third party apps.

Thanks for your advice above. Apologies for delay in reply but I did not receive any email notification.

I use the Chrome browser and occasionally Dolphin, the latter to give me access to Flash Player. I had decided to see what happened when cleaning and as you mentioned, there was no effect on my Bookmarks ... this was my major concern. Somewhere I also read that the Android cache should not be cleared because it can cause Apps to misoperate ... not sure if this is 'fact'?

Under the setting 'Customise Analyses' I only analysed cache/clipboard/Google Play Search History. I will have a look at the others listed on a one-by-one basis to start with, just to see what may or may not occur.