[Split Topic] WFS and partitioning

bilwil72

Hay People: plz forgive in wrong section, i am kinda lost on computers, but still trying to learn,, my ques: can i partition the hard drive to only use a smaller space, like 100 gigs, for my use, and that way i dont have to wipe or clean the whole drive, can that be done , and if not to much "How". p/s i too did a wipe and it has taken forever to do 900 gigs, i never let it finish,  tks bilwil

Edited by Andavari
Removed unnecessary quoting since it belongs to another topic this topic was split from.

HI, bilwil72. 

Answer is you have to be very careful doing that.

You can make your computer crash if you do it wrong. 

If, as you say, "i am kinda lost on computers, but still trying to learn" you would be best advised to get a friend with experience to help you in person. 

But yes, it can be done and it does make operations on the smaller partition go quicker. 

This software is free, and will do what you want (copy the URL and paste it into a new tab):

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Edit: 

it may be that your post will get moved to another location since the original poster seems to be finished with this one. 

Some of the members here use Minitool, but i don't feel competent to advise you how to do it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Before even thinking of partitioning since it can bite you on the backside and go wrong (it has happened to me before) I'd recommend starting off making a disk image of your hard disk with Windows on it - and only then think about partitioning your hard disk. That way if anything goes wrong you can restore Windows in a few minutes.

Hello bilwil72 - As long as your operating system is Windows Vista or newer, you can shrink the Windows C: partition using Windows Disk Management, accessed by Contol Panel>All>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management(in the left panel). Using this method is very safe because Windows will not allow you to go too far and risk losing data.

However, if you are using Windows XP, then MiniTool Partition Wizard can be used. Just be sure that the box for "Enhanced Data Protection Mode" is checked before proceeding, this will also protect you against data loss. Read here for more details: http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

HI, bilwil72. 

Answer is you have to be very careful doing that.

You can make your computer crash if you do it wrong. 

If, as you say, "i am kinda lost on computers, but still trying to learn" you would be best advised to get a friend with experience to help you in person. 

But yes, it can be done and it does make operations on the smaller partition go quicker. 

This software is free, and will do what you want (copy the URL and paste it into a new tab):

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Edit: 

it may be that your post will get moved to another location since the original poster seems to be finished with this one. 

Some of the members here use Minitool, but i don't feel competent to advise you how to do it.

Thanks for the help, i will check it out..