CCleaner Indicates wrong OS & Freezes during cleaning

After updating to the new version of CCleaner it now indicates that my OS is Windows XP even though my OS is Vista. Also...it takes a long time to complete a scan and when I try to 'Run Cleaner' it will freeze at 6% and I cannot close out the screen, so I have to use Task Mgr. to end process. I have uninstalled using Revo and reinstalled from Piriform and also tried with FileHippo, but both problems still persisted. I have scanned my computer with Avast and Malwarebytes and no problems were found by them. So, I'm not sure why I cannot get CCleaner to operate correctly or why it indicates XP instead of Vista? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Screen shots attached. First one is OS Info from CCleaner and from my computer properties. Second image is when it freezes everytime at 6%.

post-22478-0-65017100-1400527288_thumb.jpg

post-22478-0-17435900-1400527364_thumb.jpg

Wanted to add that Yes, I saw the other post from someone having a similar problem with the wrong OS system showing up on their CCleaner, but MY problem is a little different and includes the freezing up of CCleaner. Therefore, I posted a new topic :rolleyes:

• Moderators

As you would know from the other post with a similar problem with the wrong OS being reported, the Dev Team are at least aware of it.

As to the stuck at 6% mark, I sometimes see this 'frozen' at the IE cleaning phase only to have it eventually move on.

Sometimes it has taken in the order of 15-20mins before progressing.

Seems to happen if the PC hasn't been cleaned before or long gaps between running CC. (which probably doesn't apply to you)

Just to get over the hurdle, run CC from Safe Mode, hopefully allowing it to complete a clean run.

Then when run next from normal mode, it usually comes good after removing whatever the blockage was.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

If mta's suggestion doesn't work, uninstall CCleaner and reboot.

From within Internet Explorer clean out the temp files.

Install the slim build from here

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Run ccleaner and let us know the result.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The difference between VISTA and XP are so tremendous,

that If CCleaner thinks you have XP it will ATTEMPT to clean the paths that would be used in XP.

Just possibly VISTA has faked some equivalence that may result in some relevant cleaning actions.

Just possibly the VISTA faking will not mislead CCleaner and cause vital User Documents or essential System Files to be deleted,

BUT I WOULD NOT BET my life or the well being of My Computer,

I would revert to a previous CCleaner that knows it is on VISTA.

I followed both suggestions from mta and hazelnut but still had the same problems with CCleaner. The one thing that did show correctly in Safe Mode was my Vista OS system. In safe mode all other problems remained... waited 35 minutes for it to 'clean' but it remained at 5% and kept freezing up my laptop, pointer, had to use task mgr. to end the process because it would not let me just X out of it, etc. Also tried the slim build version from hazelnuts link and still not working for me...same problems. So I just uninstalled it again using Revo and I'll try the last suggestion to revert back to a previous version. Thanks for all the help folks! Will let you know tomorrow if an older version will solve my problem.

• Moderators

I think I've an idea. Can you make sure windows isn't running the ccleaner exe in program compatibility mode set to XP?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Good suggestion by @Nergal, I just ran CC on my Win8 PC with Win7 and Vista compatibility modes and both times CC reported the OS as per the compatibility mode.

Here's the latest: An Older version will not work either. Same results as I mentioned above. I did however check the compatability mode and it was indeed checked for XP. I have no idea how that happened. I unchecked, installed the new version released today (v4.14.4407) and with my fingers crossed scanned then clicked clean. Waited for about an hour for it to complete the cleaning process and it was still at 6% and freezing everything up. (Ex. tried to open Pictures folder or click on start orb and it would take forever for anything to show up as long as CCleaner was running) I had to once again use Task Manager to close CCleaner. So...I guess my next step is a trip to the shop for a diagnosis. I'm thinking it might be something with this old laptop preventing it from running correctly.

I did notice that while it was trying to clean everything up that it was going back and forth between IE Cookies and C:\Users\Lori\AppData\Roaming\Micro.....PHX5Q033.txt    I searched for that file best I knew how, but since I'm a self-taught computer user, I didn't have any luck finding it. :unsure:  Thanks for your help everyone!

• Moderators

did CC at least report the correct OS?

• Moderators

Ok, so wrong OS issue is fixed.

Now I can focus on your other issue, which honestly I am only now acknowledging that you have mentioned (it's best not to make multiple questions in a forum like this as it makes helping more than difficult).

I need you to run a ccleaner debug (the instructions are at the top of the ccleaner bugs board).

After you do please post the resulting log file here.

Doing this will allow us to see exactly where the break is

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Nergal, before generating a debug report I decided to try to scan with CCleaner once more and it is now working just fine? Not sure how or why...but I'm happy I've got it back. Would you still like to see or need to see a debug report?

• Moderators

Cool glad your issue is fixed and that we have gotten to the bottom of wrong OS showing (which happens to many others not just you :) )