Defrag by "folder structure"?

FormSource

• Moderators

Nope, not with DF, other defrag programs may, I know OO used to but that was about 12 years ago I last used that.

In DF there is the Defrag Folder option, but it won't bring all the files next to each other.

One way to achieve it would be to move the files off the drive, defrag it, then when you copy them back onto the drive they would be stored together.

But with your particular example being with Program Files, you would have to uninstall the software, defrag and reinstall the software.

Apart from having the best seek times absolutely possible, I can't think of a reason you would need the files stored together.

If the drive if defragged, access times will be as close to perfect as they can be.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

But ain't defragging without taking folder hierarchy into account, like only doing half-ish the job? ( We defrag our hdd because we want to "speed up the pc")

I mean, if i run application abc.exe it is going to use A LOT of files. Files that still are spread all over the disk. Even though the files themselves have been defragged the head will still be going all over the place.

Of course there are those times you might only be working with ONE file. but in general that's not how software works.

(1 big fragmented file located all over the disk VS 100-1000 of small defragmented files located all over the disk= same problem)

Or am i wrong?

• Moderators

you are right, but when head seek times are measured in micro seconds, chasing down 100 fragments is child's play.

it all depends on how the defrag algorithm does it's thing, a quick format will just move files around to defrag them.  a normal defrag will do that plus rearrange files to improve efficiency but if that takes into account files within the same folders, someone with more in-depth knowledge of how DF works will have to chime in.

I think you are wrong.

When you need a file a fragment WILL NOT DO - you need all the fragments collected.

When you a collection of files in a folder you are unlikely to be using them simultaneously.

You will probably only listen to or watch one media file at a time.

If you are copying the contents of a folder you will only be copying one file at a time.

• Moderators

it's an old defrag program I used years and years ago, I think it stood for something - no idea what now.

think it was called O&O defrag, don't even know if it's still around.

the reason it has stayed in my memory is I remember it being the only one that you could move your files around however you wanted.

system files here, most used files there, all that sort of stuff.