Ccleaner new version download

Tel

I've just tried to download the new version (413) of Ccleaner, and it all looks very different from the last time I did this.  Instead of being able to download from the Piriform website, it winds up downloading from "Soft Now", and when I go to run the exe file that's also very different from what's always happened in the past, including wanting to download additional, unwanted, software.  I stopped the installation.  Is this all as it's supposed to be, or have I downloaded something different to Ccleaner?  Is it safe to proceed? Thanks.

• Moderators

If for whatever reason you can't get it from Piriform, the next trustworthy site is FileHippo.

It sounds like what you got was wrapped up with some other crap so it's good you stopped that install.

Here's the link for Piriform, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds and if the standard installer doesn't work out, try the portable or slim.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks.  I did manage to get a "correct" download from Piriform eventually, and I'm scanning the computer now,  just in case.  The worrying thing is that I started the first update by opening ccleaner and clicking on "check for updates".  This took me to what looked to be the true Piriform site; I clicked on the "Download" button and went to what claimed to be File Hippo; I clicked on "download" there, was taken to "Soft Now",  and what I downloaded was a file called "CCleaner_TSA 13AIJZ" with an icon I'd never seen before.  There's something dangerous going on there I think.

• Moderators

The download now you clicked on was probably a file hippo advert, read the download page carefully and there should be a more obviously ccleaner download on the page re-read the previous post and changed my opinion

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The software you downloaded from that site Tel may contain Conduit and/or SweetPacks and  is certainly not a recommended CCleaner download site, nor has anything to do with them.

Scan your pc with a few different things until you are certain you are not in trouble.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The software you downloaded from that site Tel may contain Conduit and/or SweetPacks and  is certainly not a recommended CCleaner download site, nor has anything to do with them.

Scan your pc with a few different things until you are certain you are not in trouble.

Some recommended tools we users use that may help you scan your PC can be found here

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

THanks everyone.  I scanned with Norton yesterday and that was clean.  I've got a full MBAM scan running now, with rootkits ticked.  If that's OK is there any need to scan with MBAntirootkit also?  PS:  A few minutes later: the MBAM scan found 6 nasties, comprising the conduit and sweetpacks mentioned. All are quarantined.  Does that mean the computer is OK now, please?

• Moderators

It may well be a good idea to go to one of the sites mentioned in item Number 10 of the forum rules and get checked out.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=4

They will check all is removed and help you re-set your browsers homepage etc, don't forget to provide them with the logs they ask for when you make your first post.

Let us know how you go on.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The end of the matter (hopefully):  I went onto the Malwarebytes forums and posted my problem.  I got a reply from a malware removal expert, and over the next couple of days he patiently got me to go through a series of scans with different downloaded software, and these found some remnants of the original 6 items of malware, which were also removed. As well as being annoyed at myself for letting this happen, I'm disappointed that Norton neither stopped the malware from downloading, nor found it when I ran a scan.  However, it seems that the major security suites are vulnerable to some clever malware, so I'm sticking with Norton, but have purchased the Premium version of MBAM - this works out at £10 pa for each of our 2 computers, which is a modest amount for the increased security.  Thanks again.

Glad all is sorted,

As well as being annoyed at myself for letting this happen, I'm disappointed that Norton neither stopped the malware from downloading, nor found it when I ran a scan. 

Hope you send Norton the files telling them "Hey guys you missed this files !!!"

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Thread closed as original issue pertained to malicious software posing as ccleaner, and deemed solved. Not the Advertising practices of a third-party distributor. The update itself has no "crapware" (unless you consider G products as crapware).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com