How do I wipe the MFT only on Drive X:\ only ?

Alan_B

Do I have to launch a wipe of the whole drive X:\ and abort after it has wiped the MFT only ?

Will it tell me when the MFT is done or do I just wait a few seconds and then abort ?

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

The MFT is wiped first, with this clearly displayed with a countdown, and the Free Space Wipe is then clearly displayed when it begins, again with a countdown estimate.

How do I know?

post-8751-0-96968000-1399586706_thumb.jpg

post-8751-0-30230500-1399586709_thumb.jpg

Simply tried it.

The MFT wipe uses a multitude of ZZZZZ named file and folders, which are deleted immediately upon completion of it's run. (As the free space wipe begins).

The free space wipe creates one file, which in my experience is deleted immediately if cancelled before completion.

Thanks Dennis

That worked for me.

I needed some assurance of the right way to do things because a few years ago I used CCleaner to fully wipe a flash drive,

and having selected the flash drive when I moved the mouse to launch the erase,

the selection display shifted and the selected drive was out of sight (the display window was far too small.

Unfortunately I trusted that CC had noted my selection - but instead it wiped the last partition on my hard drive.

I am pleased to see that NOW when a drive is selected a corresponding box is ticked and that works.

It was however a little disconcerting that after the warning was shown about permanent loss of files if I proceed,

there was no reminder of what I had selected - or even more importantly - what CC thought I had selected :o

Regards

Alan