how to fix a flash drive

TheFiresInTheSky

ya im tihnkin its sum kinda program but i hav hidden files shown and everything and its completely empty now. another thing, any time the computer is trying to do sumthin dealing w/ the flash drive, it goes SUPER SLOW. is ther ne way to wipe it COMPLETELY out using a program?

Well, evidently if it is security software that is preventing it from being written to, it is probably that same software that won't let you format it. What exactly is the message that you get when you try to format it? Could you test it again and paste the message here?

Also, did you try out Sniper's idea yet? He said that there is for sure a "read-only" button on the side that you (or your friend) may have accidently clicked. Let us know if you found that and tried switching that yet.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Well, evidently if it is security software that is preventing it from being written to, it is probably that same software that won't let you format it. What exactly is the message that you get when you try to format it? Could you test it again and paste the message here?

Also, did you try out Sniper's idea yet? He said that there is for sure a "read-only" button on the side that you (or your friend) may have accidently clicked. Let us know if you found that and tried switching that yet.

for sure ther is a switch? i cant find one any where. and anything having to deal with the flash drive doesnt work except for lookin ad opening the files. cant defrag or format or write to or anything. has anybody seen the switch in a picture or anything? i think its optional or something. it didnt say anything about it in the papers that came with it and thers no information online about it that i can find. if anybody can find some could they share it?

thx

Google "HP flash drive format tool" and it will reformat san disk to fat32 if there is anything left that works. I managed to fix one of mine and another is kaput. I have since changed brands because my camera eats san disk. If it does have a write protect, it is a little chrome thing on the left side as you face the drive {writing up} Down is on, up is off.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

• 2 weeks later...

Google "HP flash drive format tool" and it will reformat san disk to fat32 if there is anything left that works. I managed to fix one of mine and another is kaput. I have since changed brands because my camera eats san disk. If it does have a write protect, it is a little chrome thing on the left side as you face the drive {writing up} Down is on, up is off.

no matter wat i try....

aaaformat8nc.png

ive tried all of the different file systems too. any help?

It's write-protected, so it doesn't matter what file system you use; you will still receive the same message. The problem absolutely positively has to be either:

1. There is a hardware write-protect button located somewhere on the drive

2. The drive has some strange software enabled which provents it from being written to

I realize that both of these items have already been listed, but according to your screenshot, those are the only things it could possibly be. If you are positive that there is no switch on the drive to enable/disable this feature, I would recommend looking at the software's documentation to see if there is any way to undo the write-protect.

Sorry I can't tell you more. If you have any help files that came with the software, maybe attach those here so that we can read them and tell you what you need to do.

ding, ding!

Found this on a review site: "The current revision of the Cruzer Mini has NO write-protect switch, although older, thicker models have this feature. SanDisk probably dropped this feature when attempting to make the drive thinner."

Found this on a review site: "The current revision of the Cruzer Mini has NO write-protect switch, although older, thicker models have this feature. SanDisk probably dropped this feature when attempting to make the drive thinner."

Well there we go then; it has to be some sort of software that came with the drive. Otherwise, I have no other ideas.

ding, ding!

in a different forum i found this:

Hi, I'm work in S?o Paulo \ Brazil and try to this for problem ... is very easy ..OK

Click > Start > RUN > type "CMD" Then

Type "CHKDSK" and type o your Pendrive and "/F". Ex. chkdsk Q: /F > Enter

Ok, You see many msg error. OK!

Now, you remove your pendrive and plug again.

Try to format.

It's work very well in Profilit USB Driver 256 MB.

i tried it and came up with this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

? Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kids_Comp>chkdsk

The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Index verification completed.

CHKDSK is recovering lost files.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

Security descriptor verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows found problems with the file system.

Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

40009850 KB total disk space.

13658468 KB in 72754 files.

30848 KB in 5365 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

157446 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

26163088 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

10002462 total allocation units on disk.

6540772 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kids_Comp>chkdsk Q: /F

Cannot open volume for direct access.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kids_Comp>chkdsk /F

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another

process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be

checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kids_Comp>

i then restarted and its still write protected.

hello? is all help gone?

I dunno, here is one more suggestion:

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and then enter in:

format L:

but replace the "L" with whatever the drive letter of your mem stick is.

Maybe doing it in Safe Mode will prevent whatever write-protect software you have from running, so that you can format it. Doubt this will work, but give it a try, and report back what happens.

ding, ding!

I dunno, here is one more suggestion:

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and then enter in:

format L:

but replace the "L" with whatever the drive letter of your mem stick is.

Maybe doing it in Safe Mode will prevent whatever write-protect software you have from running, so that you can format it. Doubt this will work, but give it a try, and report back what happens.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

? Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron>format D:

Insert new disk for drive D:

and press ENTER when ready...

The type of the file system is FAT.

Verifying 488M

Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

C:\Documents and Settings\Aaron>

well if u ask me i think that im screwed and im jus gonna take it bak to bust buy and c if i can get an exchange er sumthin...

Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

well if u ask me i think that im screwed and im jus gonna take it bak to bust buy and c if i can get an exchange er sumthin...

Hmm... yeah, from that message, it looks like your drive simply failed. So most likely it wasn't anything your friend did (unless he banged it on something or subjected it to substantial heat). Guess there is nothing left that you can do, unless you're mean with a soldering iron. :lol:

Okay, sorry; bad joke, and this probably isn't the best time for it, as you are still mourning your loss. Sorry it took so long just to figure out it was broken!

ding, ding!

• 3 months later...

Well, here is the manufacturer's description. One of the features caught my attention:

Did you install this "data security software", by any chance? If so, perhaps your drive is write-protected due to that. Did you make a password for the drive, or does it come with a manufacturer password that your friend somehow might have activated? If you can manage to remove the software from the drive, or find out what the drive's password is (if it has one), that may solve your problem.

That would also explain why the other drive works, but this one does not. If your friend turned on a password for your goofed up USB drive, that wouldn't affect your other drive.

I have that software, don't install it, it only bugars up your flash drive. Its a coincidence, actually, my drives broken too. Mines a sandisk cruzerlock 2 gig. I dropped it onto stone floor. It worked fine for 3 hours, and then 'Game Maker' crahsed when saving to my pendrive. Now when i plug it in, it uses all my virtual memory and freezes my computer. If i go to my computer, and plug it in, it automatically makes my computer not respond. My other cruzer 512 meg flashdrive still works fine.

Help! Please, i need the files.....

Thanks, Neo.

LOL

you may not be able to format it.

if it was like mine, it will just lock up.

i did eventually manage to format it after about 50 tries but i couldnt do anything with it.

if you cant format it, see if they have a warranty or something like that or just try to take it back.