Latest update (v4.13.4693 (64bit) causing problem

Hi,

Following the latest update (v4.13.4693 64bit) when I try to Run Cleaner it starts to work then stops with a message saying that Firefox Mozilla is still open and needs to be closed to continue. Following that it say it is taking too long to close, do I want to force it to close? I select yes and it continues to clean up as normal.

This is all very well, if it were not for the fact that although Mozilla Firefox (v29.0) is installed on my laptop it isn't in use! I only have it as a spare browser.

This has only happened since the last update.

[A registry scan shows up NO problems]

So, I'm reporting this as a new bug.

PeeVee

• Moderators

Although Firefox is not running, check Task Manager for any background Mozilla task.

What is your OS?

What browser do you use?, is it a Firefox clone?

If you run CC from Safe Mode without problem then it is some background, Firefox based, task that CC thinks is still running.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Although Firefox is not running, check Task Manager for any background Mozilla task.

What is your OS?

What browser do you use?, is it a Firefox clone?

If you run CC from Safe Mode without problem then it is some background, Firefox based, task that CC thinks is still running.

Hi mta,

The Operating System is 64bit, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

I mainly use Google Chrome as my browser, however I do have Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer installed. ALL are fully up to date with the latest versions, updates & patches.

I'm unsure what you mean when you ask "Is it a Firefox clone?". I only install things from the official websites. I am VERY security minded.

My security software is checked every couple of hours (max 4 hours) for the latest virus definitions, malware updates etc; 

In Task Manager (show processes from all users) the only thing that obviously relates to Mozilla Firefox is "firefox.exe*32". No other processes mention Firefox, so I cannot speak for those.

I have never run CC from Safe Mode, and I wouldn't know how! I'm not very technical; although I'm "Administrator" for all my PCs it is only because there is nobody else, and you have to have one! I get by as long as things are relatively straightforward.

Hope that answers your questions?

• Moderators

What I've seen since using Firefox v29 is that it doesn't always want to exit most of the time, the firefox.exe process continues running in the background after closing the browser.

This happens with both the install version from Mozilla, and the PortableApps.com portable version. It's made worse with the addon/extension Ghostery installed because firefox.exe would never close with it installed.

If firefox.exe is still running in the background it can be manually closed using Task Manager

Edited by Andavari
Changed some wording for clarity

Though you've answered the question, just for clarity, a firefox clone (or chrome clone) is another browser built on the source code of firefox (Palemoon, for example) or Chrome (Torch, for example)

Many thanks Winapp2.ini.

I never knew that and had never even  heard of Palemoon or Torch (showing my ignorance!). You learn something every day.

What I've seen since using Firefox v29 is that it doesn't always want to exit most of the time, the firefox.exe process continues running in the background after closing the browser.

This happens with both the install version from Mozilla, and the PortableApps.com portable version. It's made worse with the addon/extension Ghostery installed because firefox.exe would never close with it installed.

If firefox.exe is still running in the background it can be manually closed using Task Manager

Hi Andavari,

Thanks, now you mention it I think I updated to v29 about the same time as I updated Ccleaner to the latest version. That would make perfect sense, thanks.

I'll get on to Mozilla Firefox and let them know. Cheers!

Thank you all for your help.

I can now see the problem is (most likely) caused by the Firefox version update v29 as, opposed to the latest Ccleaner update.

I have reported this issue, using the Firefox Feedback, and I have given them my email address so if anyone from Firefox needs to contact me they can. I have screen snippets proving what happens if they need to see evidence.

I have experimented with my own PC and sure enough " firefox.exe*32 " sometimes continues to be shown in "Task Manager", "Processes" (show all users) after closing the browser and sometimes even when the Firefox browser hasn't been used!

In the meantime I shall use Task Manager if necessary to stop the process running in the background.

Cheers one and all.

• Moderators

even when you don't start FF, there must be a reason the process is getting started.

have you checked MSCONFIG to see what process and services are starting that could explain that.

is there an add-on, extension, toolbar that FF has installed that is getting started with the PC?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

You may want to invesitgate whether or not you've installed the Mozilla Maintenance Service, it may be creating rogue firefox.exes 

This is the first I have actually heard of "Mozilla Maintenance Service" and I had not intentionally iinstalled this, however it is shown in the Programs (x86) folder.

When I (previously) checked Task Manager it was not shown as a running process, so I don't think it is that causing the issue.

even when you don't start FF, there must be a reason the process is getting started.

have you checked MSCONFIG to see what process and services are starting that could explain that.

is there an add-on, extension, toolbar that FF has installed that is getting started with the PC?

Not that I'm aware of.

There is NO mention of Mozilla or Firefox shown under System Configuration > Startup, and the Mozilla Maintenance Service is "stopped" under the services tab.

Just because it is "Stopped" when you are looking at it does not mean it will stay stopped.

You may be better off changing its "startup type" to DISABLED.

Although you consider Firefox to be your "spare browser",

is it possible that ity has configured Windows to consider it as your "default browser",

which may be automatically launched when an application has a need for a "default browser" ?

Just because it is "Stopped" when you are looking at it does not mean it will stay stopped.

You may be better off changing its "startup type" to DISABLED.

Although you consider Firefox to be your "spare browser",

is it possible that ity has configured Windows to consider it as your "default browser",

which may be automatically launched when an application has a need for a "default browser" ?

Thank you Alan_B.

I have noted both your points.

I had previously checked (when the problem occurred) and Mozilla Maintenance Service was still shown as "stopped", so I think that's not the problem.

As for the default browser question. I don't think there are any conflicts, as whenever I got any issue which would ask me about making it my default browser, I have stuck to having Google Chrome as default. I never get asked these days, so I'm pretty confident if there WAS any conflict in default browsers I'd know about it.

I have 3 browsers that I can choose from on this notebook. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 11. The first is currently my default and the other 2 are spares. I use the spares whenever there are any problems encountered with Chrome, or when there is no other option. I can also "test" websites with alternative browsers - which can be useful eliminating the cause of whatever is stopping a website from working.

Thanks for your suggestions though. Much appreciated.

The most annoying thing with this current issue is that it occurrs at random; sometimes when I've not used Firefox for days and not had any problems caused by it. It would be much easier, if it was consistent, to track down the cause.

Currently I favour the Firefox v29 update as the cause of it. As someone else said on here - that update is causing LOTS of different problems since the launch.

Thanks once again.

PeeVee