"Unable to open drive"

bigchad

I have a crashed hard drive that just went bad one day at work that I am trying to recover 1 file off of. I have it hooked to my computer via USB with power and everything. I have run and run the Recuva wizard and have found the drive "d" and enable deep scan. When i hit go it says its unable to open drive. Am I out of luck on this one? This is my first time using Recuva and any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Chad

• Moderators

Hi Chad, and welcome to the forum.

The fact that Windows is giving the drive a drive letter means that Recuva should see it.

Can you hear or feel the drive physically spinning while Recuva is trying to access it? I'm wondering how old the drive is and what "went bad" actually means. Can you give more info?

A screenshot of what "Disk Management" shows for this drive would maybe help.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

It was my first time to use recuva to recover files(images) from my android phone ( Sony Xperia Sp). I already installed my phone on my computer. I tried to scan deleted files using recuva but "Unable to Open Drive" appeared. What shall I do? What seems to be the problem.

Thanks

Feb

hi feb

here some important infos:

"Anyone have an Android phone with version 2.3 or older calls his own, it was easy: These devices connect to Windows as normal USB hard drives. So Windows has direct access to memory and can recover lost data with current recovery programs save as the free Recuva.

Unfortunately, almost all Android phones version 4.0 and no longer connect via mass storage mode to the PC, but on the Transfer Protocols "MTP" or "PTP". This results in data recovery problems, because Windows can not access the block level of memory. Instead, the system provides only the officially listed files. Who wants to save deleted files, so will not progress.

However, Android devices similar in function to Linux PCs. And may their memory as well as read a Windows computer.

Create a complete copy of the data partition of their mobile phones or tablets and transmits this to the PC. so you can recover your deleted data perhaps with recuva."

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

There is no guarantee that you can successfully recover deleted files, there is unfortunately not.

->  If after accidental deletion further writes (z. B. photos added, moved or copied files) to be made on the disk decreases the chance of a successful recovery towards zero.
   -> Once you have deleted a file by mistake, you no longer use your Smartphone best.
   -> Even if you follow the above points, it can happen that you can not recover the data.
   -> Also note that it is much more difficult to rescue deleted data from the internal memory, as of the SD card.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"