I Can ONLY close Recuva via Windows Task Manager

Alan_B

This is a problem with ALL versions that I have tested - specifically 64 bit 1.47 and 1.51 under Windows 7.

When I view SCAN results and do not see what I want,

I "Switch to Advanced mode" and then click "Options..."

That is a bad move, I can no longer move the main scan results window and it is obscuring a desktop short-cut.

I close the "Options..." pop-up and shift the main Recuva Windows to the extreme left so the "Options..." button is still visible.

I click the "Options..." button and the "Options" pop-up does NOT appear - it is probably 6 inches to the left of my monitor.

I cannot see the Options pop-up,

I cannot close the Options pop-up, and the top-right corner of Recuva is unable to close Recuva whilst the invisible pop-up remains.

Right now as I type this Recuva is locked in position but concealed by my Browser.

I go to the Task Bar and Right click on the Recuva icon and select "Close Window",

and all that happens is that the right edge of the Recuva Window appears on the left side of the browser,

and this exposes the top-right corner of Recuva with its unusable "Close" button.

I have to launch Windows Task Manager and select Recuva to "End Task"

I suggest that either the main top right corner of Recuva should always be able to close Recuva,

or any subsidiary pop-ups that usurp authority should NOT be locked to the center of the main Recuva window, but always be accessible.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Just press return and the Options box will close, and you can then do what you want with the Recuva window.

I can reproduce this 'feature', but have never thought of doing such a thing in all my years of Recuva use. However I have used many programs where I would like to access the underlying panels and can't because there's an annoying box that demands attention, such as the Sandboxie 'Do you want to recover these files?' box. I've just taken it as how it is, I don't know the programming reasons for this.

I've moved this to Discussions as it seems more appropriate.

Thanks

It was not obvious to me that clicking Enter would close that wretched Options box.

Incidentally, I now observe that having closed the Options box,

with most of the main Recuva Window off to the left, so that its screen centre does not appear on-screen,

I can click its just visible top right corner and close Recuva, and processes terminate - but it retains its memory of coordinates.

When I launch Recuva again it does not appear - I do not believe it and assume a mouse malfunction,

I launch again, and again, and again.

Then I notice that the Recuva icon plus shadows is on the task bar.

I hover over the icon and see 4 instances of "Recuva Wizard".

I can click on each and not see an result.

Obviously these are all little wizards sitting 6 inches off to the left of my monitor because they are centered on the previous Recuva Scan coordinates.

If I right click on the icon and select Recuva then even more hidden wizards appear are created.

If I right click on the icon and select Close all Windows then 6 instances of the main Recuva Scan window appear on the left,

all using the same coordinates (sitting exactly on top of one another).

I am surprised to see that Recuva allows Multiple instances of itself to be running at the same time.

There are times when I wish to Analyze and compare two different drives with Defraggler or CCleaner,

and found that this was not allowed.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Yes, running two instances of Recuva can be quite handy, if you want to use different options or hold on to a scan.

I should (and do) open Recuva in Advanced mode Alan, then the off-screen mini-windows won't appear. Advanced mode is for grown-ups.

Yes, running two instances of Recuva can be quite handy, if you want to use different options or hold on to a scan.

I should (and do) open Recuva in Advanced mode Alan, then the off-screen mini-windows won't appear. Advanced mode is for grown-ups.

Is there any chance of Defraggler and CCleaner being allowed to hold onto a scan whilst another instance is launched ?

Until today I had not progressed beyond Recuva version 1.47, which I had configured for Advanced mode.

Today I encountered the "bug" with which I started the topic,

so I downloaded and unzipped the latest portable version to check that the bug was present before posting,

and unfortunately Piriform chose to deal with me as a child and gave me the Wizard again,

and I had not got around to disabling the Wizard.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Dunno about Defraggler as I don't use it, but you can hold two analyses in two instances of CC. Mind you that doesn't mean that each clean will do exactly as the analysis says - CC will analyse again during the clean phase, to make sure that the clean operation is valid.

You can extract Recuva portable etc into the same folder each time, and  that will have your ini which will make sure you open in grown-up mode.

A long time ago I unzipped CCleaner into the same folder,

but eventually it appeared that by retaining the existing INI file there were new default improvements in later versions that were NOT added to the INI,

hence I developed the habit of always unzipping to a fresh folder.

I think that either CCleaner series 1 or 2  may have been when I gave up trying to run two instances,

but I have just checked and both series 3 and series 4 do now allow simultaneous multiple instance.

Regards

Alan