How to restore registry backup?

brian

I would like to ask how to restore the registry backup?

All you need to do is double-click the registry backup file that you made. It will prompt you to merge it with the registry. After you merge it, your entries are reinserted into the registry.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• 1 year later...
All you need to do is double-click the registry backup file that you made. It will prompt you to merge it with the registry. After you merge it, your entries are reinserted into the registry.

Hi,

Am I right to say that by doing a <right-click> & <merge>, the process will PURGE AWAY the old or corrupt data in the current registry and REPLACE the current registry with the data from the backup registry ?

I ask this because MERGING normally means COMBINE. If the backup registry data is combined with the corrupt or incorrect data in the curent registry, it will give more problem. I think the process will delete or overwrite all the data from the faulty registry with the data from the backup registry. Am I correct to say that ?

Thanks !

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Am I right to say that by doing a <right-click> & <merge>, the process will PURGE AWAY the old or corrupt data in the current registry and REPLACE the current registry with the data from the backup registry ?

I ask this because MERGING normally means COMBINE. If the backup registry data is combined with the corrupt or incorrect data in the curent registry, it will give more problem. I think the process will delete or overwrite all the data from the faulty registry with the data from the backup registry. Am I correct to say that ?

Thanks !

Regards,

When I right-click the file, I don't find "merge" in the page that comes up. I'm using Windows Vista; it asks with what program should I open?

Nope; double-clicking the regfile, or right-clicking and choosing 'Merge' from the context menu have exactly the same effect. They will add the contents of the regfile to the registry.

It is the contents of a regfile itself that determine whether a key or value is being added, replaced or deleted, not the way in which you "merge" it.

Dont you just import your backed up registry?

Not sure whether we're talking about the same thing here.

I thought the question was how to restore a CC reg. backup created by using the 'Issues' tool.

What that does is back up the registry keys removed by CC to a regfile, which can then be restored using either of the methods mentioned. It is NOT a backup of the entire registry.