CCleaner4.11 issue = Shuts down computer

CC-4.11

Auto run (at startup) seems to work OK.

However, if I open it and click almost anything (including "Options"), my computer shuts down as if selected from "Start".

This has occured several time in the last 48 hours. More of a nuisance than a problem.

I have uninstalled 4.11 and reinstalled 4.10 as a temporary remedy. with "Auto-update" idisabled.

Attached (rather than in post) is my system's information.

System Information Report.html

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein

@shabrianna

Just out of curiosity...

• Do you use Windows XP?
  • Issue started after update to 4.11?

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein

If you guys run ccleaner and right-click the system tray icon, is the "Shutdown after clean" option checked by chance?

Nope.  not checked.   It shut down the machine before completing any task. 

Working fine after reverting to 4.10

If you guys run ccleaner and right-click the system tray icon, is the "Shutdown after clean" option checked by chance?

Nope

• Moderators

@edward, just to throw it out there, and at least have it crossed off the list, have you cleaned your PC as much as possible?

look at rule number 10 here; http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=7

since it only happened going from v4.10 to v4.11 and goes away when reverting back to v410, it would suggest a problem either with CC itself or the new version as somehow highlighted a problem with your PC.

the Dev team do read these posts so they should be aware of your incident.

another straw to clutch, have you booted to Safe Mode and ran CC there to see if it shuts down the PC when you tell it to do anything?

and what AV do you run?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@mta,  Thank you

"just to throw it out there, and at least have it crossed off the list, have you cleaned your PC as much as possible?"

Auto clean at startup.(auto-on at 2400 and auto reboot at 1200)  and about every hour or 3 if in use.

"look at rule number 10 here; http://forum.pirifor...uncement=15&f=7"

Have I violated 10? Didn't think I'd answered anything in this forum.

"since it only happened going from v4.10 to v4.11 and goes away when reverting back to v410, it would suggest a problem either with CC itself or the new version as somehow highlighted a problem with your PC."

Should I download a fresh copy of 11 and try again?  Do I need to unistall 10 before installing 11?

"the Dev team do read these posts so they should be aware of your incident."

Good to know that the team watches the forum.

"another straw to clutch, have you booted to Safe Mode and ran CC there to see if it shuts down the PC when you tell it to do anything?"

Oops, oversight...Didn't try safe mode..

"and what AV do you run?"

Norton 360

Also have 3 IoBit programs =  ASC 7 Pro  Smart Defrag, &  Malware Fighter

Thought about forum: user should be able to delete his/her replies

• Moderators

just to clarify Edward, I didn't mean clean using CC, I meant the whole nine yards, CC, DF, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, ADWcleaner, and  all those programs that scan for malware.

I mention Rule #10 not to suggest you did anything regarding that rule, but only to highlight that forum members aren't allowed to give advice regarding that aspect and to give you a place to start in scanning for malware.

For good measure, I would uninstall 10, reboot (yeah I know, shouldn't have to but, hey, we are up to the straw clutching phase) and reload 11.  Make sure you get it from Piriform or FileHippo.

And since you are going to reinstall, do it from Safe Mode (to be sure, to be sure).  And then do your first test in Safe Mode while your there and cross your fingers.

Again, I mention your AV as recently there was a issue with Avast and some users of CC, but this shouldn't be your issue.  But if you try all the above and still have the problem, let's try disabling Nortons real-time protection for 10 minutes and see if that helps.

Yep and the Dev Team read all posts, but very rarely comment on any.  If they ever need further info, that's when they'll chime in.

• Moderators

You may also want to look in your Windows Event Log by opening Event Viewer, hopefully it will have logged any issues/errors.

And just to make sure:

1. Open CCleaner from Start->Run and manually have it load CCleaner.exe (don't use a shortcut).

2. Go into Options->Advanced and make sure this box is not ticked: Shutdown after cleaning

3. Close CCleaner, then right click and select Properties for any CCleaner shortcuts you have on the Desktop, Start Menu, etc., and make sure the Target doesn't have any parameters listed after CCleaner.exe, in particular make sure it doesn't have /AUTO /SHUTDOWN listed in it:

Example 1 (CCleaner runs normally with manual user interaction):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"

Example 2 (CCleaner runs automatically without any user interaction, and will automatically shutdown/turn off the computer when finished):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN

Edited by Andavari

@mta π

Replying while in safe mode...

"just to clarify Edward, I didn't mean clean using CC, I meant the whole nine yards, CC"

I clear the cache every few minutes using fiddler. I run all my maint programs at least daily in addition to the autoscans.

"For good measure, I would uninstall 10, reboot (yeah I know, shouldn't have to but, hey, we are up to the straw clutching phase) and reload 11.  Make sure you get it from Piriform or FileHippo."

Used Filehippo to check for the update. Downloaded 11 using IDM to D;\program files\ccleaner)\. Used IObituninstaller to uninstall 10 asnd check for remnants. (kept 10 installer and 11 installer and items in doc&settiings). 

"And since you are going to reinstall, do it from Safe Mode (to be sure, to be sure).  And then do your first test in Safe Mode while your there and cross your fingers."

Rebooted 2x, 2ndtime to safemode. Installed 11 while in safemode. Ran CCleaner: seems to work fine here. Note: Norton does not run in safemode, at least not in the usual manner.

Will now reboot normal and see what happens.   BRB

Have rebooted regular and seems to be OK now.

@Andavari

No parameters in shortcuts.  I  checked that when I was experiencing the issue, none then either.

Off topic question:  Can I get "Scheduled Tasks" to auto run CCleaner every 2 hours rather than only at System startup?

Edited by edward27821

This is just a suggestion since some time ago I experienced a similar problem that seemed to either be OS related or application related.  It never occurred to me that it might be hardware related.

If your power supply is failing any additional input can cause your system to shut down due to low power output.  I guess that’s a safety feature to prevent data corruption.

If you think it’s worth looking into there are relatively inexpensive power supply testers available at electronic stores.

• Moderators

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

• 9 months later...

You may also want to look in your Windows Event Log by opening Event viewer , hopefully it will have logged any issues/errors.

And just to make sure:

1. Open CCleaner from Start->Run and manually have it load CCleaner.exe (don't use a shortcut).

2. Go into Options->Advanced and make sure this box is not ticked: Shutdown after cleaning

3. Close CCleaner, then right click and select Properties for any CCleaner shortcuts you have on the Desktop, Start Menu, etc., and make sure the Target doesn't have any parameters listed after CCleaner.exe, in particular make sure it doesn't have /AUTO /SHUTDOWN listed in it:

Example 1 (CCleaner runs normally with manual user interaction):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"

Example 2 (CCleaner runs automatically without any user interaction, and will automatically shutdown/turn off the computer when finished):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN

I was having the same problem, did the first two you suggested and yeahhhhh!! No more problems. Thank you and have a great New Year. :)