Yahoo Toolbar, New Crap For Crap Cleaner?

GreenWhite

To make all of our lives easyer, i'm building a Toolbar Uninstaller compatible with IE and FF (and maybe in the future also with other browsers) to detect all toolbars like msn, yahoo, google, SweetIM (spyware related) and many others. (Toolbars in firefox like the WebDeveloper toolbar will NOT be detected)

As soon as this program has any chance of being published, i will do so. But to make this program work at it's best, i need many many many toolbar names and locations where i can download them, so i can test myself if the TU (Toolbat Uninstaller) is doing it's work like it should be. You can PM all of this information to me here on the forum.

I don't see how the Yahoo toolbar is a problem.

Just make sure you read all the descriptions next to the tickboxes before prematurely pressing "Next" when a new window comes up. If people did that, then there would be no need for a "lite" version of any other version bar the full one. I get the feeling that people are blindly clicking "next" without reading what has come up on the screen. CCleaner makes it very clear that by unticking the box, Yahoo toolbar won't install - how much easier can it get?!

I don't see how the Yahoo toolbar is a problem.

<snip>

CCleaner makes it very clear that by unticking the box, Yahoo toolbar won't install - how much easier can it get?!

How about by not including the toolbar at all thus reducing the installer file size.

Toolbars can now be submitted to my PM to be included in the ToolBar Uninstaller. Currently it only detects Goolge (for firefox) and i'm working on Yahoo (for firefox).

The ones that already are going to be added are:

• SweetIM (don't know if they have separate toolbars for FF and IE, but they are both going to be added)
  • Yahoo for Internet Explorer
  • Google for Internet Explorer

The program is currently able to find the following toolbars for firefox:

• Alexa
  • Coolstreaming
  • Faceboox
  • Google
  • Groowebar
  • MX5 Club
  • NetCraft
  • Yahoo

The only supported action right now is to delete the extension folder in which the plugin is installed. (for example: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\up0qsamg.default\extensions\toolbar@alexa.com\" for the Alexa toolbar)

More actions are going to be put into the program tomorrow as it currently is 0.18 am here in the Netherlands.

The actions that it is going to support are:

• only needs to be tested with some ie toolbars now.

The actions it currently already partially supports

• Application (Te see if it is a toolbar for IE or Firefox)
  • Detect (to find if the toolbar is installed)
  • DeleteFile (to delete extra files that are not in the abovementioned folder)
  • DeleteFolder (to determine wich folder is needed to remove and then removed)
  • EditFile (to delete settings out of files)
  • ToolbarName (very import internal toolbarname for firefox as the toolbars from firefox are removed at the official way by FireFox (toolbar@alexa.com for the Alexa toolbar)({3112ca9c-de6d-4884-a869-9855de68056c}
    for the Google Toolbar) and so forth)

Edited by eagle00789

How about by not including the toolbar at all thus reducing the installer file size.

Now thats being downright lazy.

Is it really that difficult to untick ONE box? :blink:

I could understand people's greivances if CCleaner deliberatly "hid" the opt-out option making it difficult to find (and there are some companys that do that). But the way that they present it couldn't be easier.

I just can't understand why people are so damned lazy - just untick the box and stop complaining - the software is free. Otherwise buy something like Registry Mechanic which doesn't come with the Yahoo Toolbar.

• 3 weeks later...

I registered on this forum so I can post this and I'm not going to read this all. If someone has said this then its good that I repeat it.

We all know that having extra crap that you don't want is a buggy thing. But you all need to realize that most likely CCleaner isn't made by Billionaires that nothing better to do and money doesn't matter to them.

We all go to work. We all need money to survive if not for fun but for functionality. I Host a few websites for my income and These Hosting costs can go through the roof. Are these good people supposed to pay for this out of their own pockets when they provide such a good program for free.

Some programs will MAKE you install their useless crap. I admire the CCleaner people for not making this mandatory. Now if it was mandatory I would quit using the program. I believe that they realize this.

We all need to make living. Please understand their position.

Oh and btw off the subject is it ok to Host CCleaner on my site or hotlink. Or should i have them redirect to your page? <_<