Yahoo Toolbar, New Crap For Crap Cleaner?

GreenWhite

All interaction with spammer/scammer friendly 'cause its Frea (spammer lingo for Free) gmail is blocked agressively by me.

The USENET is rampent with these spammer/scammers as they can create an account faster than anyone can say "Pass the ketchup for my chickenbone KFC ALL White $14.99 chicken breast supersized for one truck totin tub that can be used to go fishin' in with Billy Jo Bob down at the ol' fishin' hole."

Keep your security software up to date by viewing the announcements at Calendar of Updates

So in realese of 1.27.260 I do not see a version without YahooToolbar! Shame CC was good program...

But, when you install this new version you have an option to uncheck the yahoo toolbar option (as I did) and all is well :D

So in realese of 1.27.260 I do not see a version without YahooToolbar! Shame CC was good program...

There are three different versions of 1.27 available for download:

• The full version with the toolbar

• The basic version without the toolbar

• The slim version w/o toolbar and English language only

Click on 'Other builds' on the main download page.

• Moderators

Okay, on behalf of all confused people,

I want just ccleaner, with no toolbar, in English. Can I choose that slim version in the "basic builds" and get the ccleaner I know and use now with the improvements?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Okay, on behalf of all confused people,

I want just ccleaner, with no toolbar, in English. Can I choose that slim version in the "basic builds" and get the ccleaner I know and use now with the improvements?

Yes.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I thought I should register just to try to calm all the complainers:

The toolbar is OPTIONAL, both at the time of download and the time of install. It can be removed after installation, its existence will probably earn a little cash so that CCleaner keeps going strong.

I agree that including any bloatware is a shame, but would you rather the app died if money was short? Just go to http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbin.asp?f=1 (no toolbar) or http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbin.asp?f=2 (no toolbar, English only) and you get the same small installer and trouble-free program as you ever did.

I also agree that all versions should be prominent, but then again as a UK user of Firefox/Thunderbird on Mac & PC I am used to looking on the "Other versions and languages" page. The web will never be tailor made for everyone.

Another point, which someone made regarding Google's toolbar, is that some people like toolbars. Not me, probably not you, but I'd bet that at least one CCleaner user actually had the Y! toolbar already, despite wanting to clean other junk off their system. The two aren't mutually exclusive in daily life. Also many ISPs (inc. mine) hijack Outlook and IE with their own branding/toolbars/search boxes/ads/bloatware WITH NO OPT OUT when you install their settings or broadband modem drivers.

(Yes, you can probably set up any ISP by hand, with a list of servers and the manufacturer's drivers, but you see my point)

To all those who think they have the ultimate clean system: Have you removed unused .BMP background tiles from your Windows directory? How about 0.log and clock.avi? Do you have any empty or obsolete Program Files folders or AppData folders from old apps, or old versions?

CCleaner does a good job, can't we just use the version we want and be happy?

• Moderators

Have just downloaded and used the slim version and cleaned 319mb's of windows uninstaller history. Well done Mr G.

P.S. I have decided to keep this option unchecked until a few days after each windows update to make sure there are no probs with the update.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I was proud of the ccleaner program, now im not recommending this program at my portal anymore.

I think its a shame, that such a great program needs such a lame toolbar.

Im sorry, ill try IE Privacy keeper now.

Its like Deamontools, "NOW with CRAPWARE". Dammit.

A shame Freeware now is = Crapware to.

I hope you, team on ccleaner, will remove the crap toolbar.

• Moderators

P.S. I have decided to keep this option unchecked until a few days after each windows update to make sure there are no probs with the update.

Brillant ideal, and I've just adopted it as well since I had initially left it checked.

I don't understand - why are people now turning down CCleaner, when you can just download the "Slim" or "Basic" version that don't come with the toolbar.

I downloaded the slim version, with no extra languages and no toolbar - simple.

I still think CCleaner's great.

IPB Image

I don't understand - why are people now turning down CCleaner, when you can just download the "Slim" or "Basic" version that don't come with the toolbar.

I downloaded the slim version, with no extra languages and no toolbar - simple.

I still think CCleaner's great.

I also downloaded the Slim version. But I feel that bundling software goes against the spirit of CCleaner.

The basic version is an alternative version which is more difficult to find, so it makes it more difficult to recommend CCleaner to friends since they might end up with the one that includes Yahoo! toolbar.

Yahoo! toolbar is not part of CCleaner, therefor it should not be included. And it is important to take a stand and raise your voice when concerned, and not just bite the dust and swallow.

Also, it wasnt bundled with software for a long time, and now it has become popular and it has been spread alot by word of mouth but now suddently it is bundled with other software, maybe some people feel betrayed.

If nobody raised the concern, then perhaps the Basic and Slim versions wouldnt be something that existed today.

This has affected me some and I do not think as high of CCleaner as I used todo, and I noticed alot of criticism here on the forum against Mr.G's decision about bundling Yahoo! toolbar with CCleaner.

Sure, you can say that the toolbar is optional, and that you can download an alternative version without the toolbar. But the software I use is something that I should feel comfortable with, that should do what I want it todo, that I should be able to trust. CCleaner is a cleaner, optimizer and privacy tool. Bundling such software with toolbars and such definitly goes against the spirit of such software.

I also think CCleaner should be open source. And at times like this, it have crossed my mind that it would be cool if the community, the people here at the CCleaner forum, took matters into their own hands, organised together and colloborated together, united with the goal of creating, a free, open source cleaner/optimizer/privacy-tool in C/C++. That way we could fully trust the software, anyone could use it, inspect it, modify it, distribute it freely.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I also downloaded the Slim version. But I feel that bundling software goes against the spirit of CCleaner.

The basic version is an alternative version which is more difficult to find, so it makes it more difficult to recommend CCleaner to friends since they might end up with the one that includes Yahoo! toolbar.

Yahoo! toolbar is not part of CCleaner, therefor it should not be included. And it is important to take a stand and raise your voice when concerned, and not just bite the dust and swallow.

Also, it wasnt bundled with software for a long time, and now it has become popular and it has been spread alot by word of mouth but now suddently it is bundled with other software, maybe some people feel betrayed.

If nobody raised the concern, then perhaps the Basic and Slim versions wouldnt be something that existed today.

This has affected me some and I do not think as high of CCleaner as I used todo, and I noticed alot of criticism here on the forum against Mr.G's decision about bundling Yahoo! toolbar with CCleaner.

Sure, you can say that the toolbar is optional, and that you can download an alternative version without the toolbar. But the software I use is something that I should feel comfortable with, that should do what I want it todo, that I should be able to trust. CCleaner is a cleaner, optimizer and privacy tool. Bundling such software with toolbars and such definitly goes against the spirit of such software.

I also think CCleaner should be open source. And at times like this, it have crossed my mind that it would be cool if the community, the people here at the CCleaner forum, took matters into their own hands, organised together and colloborated together, united with the goal of creating, a free, open source cleaner/optimizer/privacy-tool in C/C++. That way we could fully trust the software, anyone could use it, inspect it, modify it, distribute it freely.

I agree.

IPB Image

I was Furious to discover the yahoo bar in CCleaner, and initially puzzled by the double size file installer. It prompted me to sign up on the forum.

Discovering the SLIM build has restored my faith. Anyone willing to do the research needed to find it, (like reading this forum) will be rewarded, and anyone who just grabs the quick-fix will get what they're after AND help support the ongoing developement of this great tool that we all (non-donaters) have been freeloading.

I was proud of the ccleaner program, now im not recommending this program at my portal anymore.

I think its a shame, that such a great program needs such a lame toolbar.

Im sorry, ill try IE Privacy keeper now.

Its like Deamontools, "NOW with CRAPWARE". Dammit.

A shame Freeware now is = Crapware to.

I hope you, team on ccleaner, will remove the crap toolbar.

The toolbar is optional. O.P.T.I.O.N.A.L.

• You don't have to download it

• You don't have to install it

See also http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/optional

For a lot of people who haven't been made aware of other versions, or who don't know about the CCleaner homepage, the toolbar is not optional.

For example, if I go on filehippo.com or majorgeeks.com, the only version of CCleaner 1.27 listed is the Standard Build, with that awful toolbar integrated into the installer. No other versions are listed on both mirrors, so most computer users would logically assume that was the newest and only version. So they will end up downloading the crappy bloated version, simply because they aren't aware of any other versions.

And since the other versions are basically being "hidden" because they don't generate as much profit, hundreds of thousands of dedicated CCleaner users will, in fact, be stuck with an installer bundled with the toolbar because they haven't been told otherwise, and have no reason to assume otherwise.

Optional is a relative word in this case.

EDIT:

By the way, I love the way this is worded:

The following builds are for system admins and advanced users. They are not for distribution or mirroring.

Making it sound like these smaller, better versions are harder to use, or "more advanced". Real cool. :rolleyes:

ding, ding!

It is still optional to uncheck the toolbar during install.

Right, but you still have to download the (relatively) huge installer, which is mostly composed of a stupid feature that you don't want and won't use.

Two other things to consider about this larger installer:

1. For dial-up users, the downloading process takes more than twice as long, which adds several minutes to the wait. Very annoying.

2. The CCleaner installer now barely fits on a floppy, so trying to keep anything else on that same floppy is basically out of the question. Also annoying.

And none of these problems would exist if CCleaner didn't come with that demented ___________ . (fill in the blank; I know you know the answer :D )

ding, ding!

I think that's brilliant idea!

Why not create an OpenCCleaner alongside CCleaner?

That way we will become all beta testers and the project can grow at a much faster rate.