Apple Windows Cleaning

JNJOLLY

Hi

Firstly sorry for my English but I am just a French Guy!!

My suggestion would be to add in your cleaning Routine a new one concerning all Apple Applications like ITUNES ICloud QuickTime Bonjour etc. Which have all the same structure concerning Language Files and language registry Keys

In fact Apple use always various directories with the following structure:

Language “Code.Lproj” in which Language code are Standard Alpha Code for country (ex: FR = France : En = England but also En_GB or English)

In those Directories we have many files and/or subdirectories.

In reality only our System language directories (and files associated) are necessary (Ex: FR.LPROJ if you have your system in French)

In addition Apple applications Installation generates a very number of Registry keys (mainly in the following registry Directory: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\currenversion\installer\userdata\S-1-5-18\components\**

All those registry keys can be deleted.

As an example my last manual Cleaning (just after last update of ITunes), have generated around 5500 Registry Keys unused after cleaning of 330 **.LROJ directories representing a space of 120 MB.

I think that it could be interresting to have this complementary Options in your very nice tool.

Best Regards

Jean-Noël JOLLY

• Moderators

Have you personally tested removing those lang files and registry keys? Since Apple can make some large installed programs.

I only ask because some programs will fight back either; stop functioning, won't uninstall, automatically re-installing the lang files, etc.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

I wonder if you remember this Andavari ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23721&hl=itunes&fromsearch=1

Stripping all those language files out did nothing to iTunes functionality, but that was back in 2009, and when I tried it some time later with a later version of iTunes, it did cause the program to fail, and I have a faint recollection of hazel trying it with Vista and iTunes not working afterwards.

@ Jean-Noël JOLLY

As Andavari says, you would have to strip those files out of a current version of iTunes yourself and see what the result would be.

But, after saying that, and going by my previous experience, iTunes can change from version to version, and what may work OK in one iteration, may completely cripple the next.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way Jean- Noël. 

• Moderators

There's a sub-topic within the winapp2 thread where a number of members have cobbled together a file with language cleaning to add to your ccleaner. If you ask there, they may better be able to aid you (you can find it at the top of the ccleaner discussion section of this forum)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I wonder if you remember this Andavari ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23721&hl=itunes&fromsearch=1

I didn't remember that topic. In particular I remember someone (maybe it was you) that mentioned deleting the iTunes, etc., Lang files caused it to fail/stop working/go kaput. Hence the heads up to testing it, and perhaps to have other people just glancing at this topic thinking twice.

H!

Firstly, thanks for the time you spend to my proposition.

Plesae note that I do this cleaning sinc at the minimum 4 years without any issue.

Whart must be clear.

It is necessary to clarely identify the XX.LPROJ directory as a subdirectory of APPLE software, becasue some other companies use (or have used) the XX.LPROJ directory structur to store language Files.

In my remimber I think that Nero 6 or seven was this structure, but not presently actually in nero 2014, and in this time is was an issue for this NON APPLE Software to delete these Directories.

Please find after all the 50 FR.PROJ directories currently keep in my PC and corresponding to the installation of ITUNES, ICLOUD and QUICKTIME (+ all subprograms necessary like Bonjour, Apple software Update etc.).

best Regards

Jean-Noël JOLLY

Directory

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ShellStreams.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Apple\Internet Services\ShellStreams.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesMiniPlayer.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdateFiles.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\Bonjour.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\AVFoundationCF.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\CFNetwork.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\CoreFoundation.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\MediaAccessibility.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\WebKit.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\APLZOD.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\AppleBMDAV.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\CFNetwork.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\CoreFoundation.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloud.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ShellStreams.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\WebKit.resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\PictureViewer.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\PropertyPanels\PanelHelperBase.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\PropertyPanels\PropPanelHelpers.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\CoreVideo.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime3GPP.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTime3GPPAuthoring.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeAudioSupport.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeAuthoring.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeCapture.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeEffects.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeEssentials.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeH264.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeImage.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeInternetExtras.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeMPEG.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeMPEG4.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeMPEG4Authoring.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeMusic.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeStreaming.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeStreamingAuthoring.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeStreamingExtras.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeVR.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeVRAuthoring.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\QuickTimeWebHelper.Resources\fr.lproj

C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.Resources\fr.lproj

• Moderators

Well, it certainly does give iTunes and QuickTime a much smaller footprint, but I'm wondering about the many different variations a cleaning routine like this would have to have.

There would have to be a different routine for every language as we both know that the chosen language ".lproj" files have to remain whilst all others are cleaned out.

I'm not a Piriform coder, but I think that problem could be nigh on impossible to get around, and I think even the community produced "winapp2.ini" file writers would have a problem getting around it. Take out the wrong files and iTunes is crippled.

Just my opinion of course, and you may get other input.

EDIT: I forgot about Nergals post No.4 above. winapp2.ini may be a possibility.