Some program updates to be aware (or wary) of ...

DennisD

• Moderators

Make of the first one what you will, but being forewarned as they say ...

ImgBurn:

I've used this program for many years, but noticed with the latest update that "Open Candy" is now part of the install.

post-8751-0-85850700-1391445386_thumb.jpg

You can get around this in a couple of ways if you really want to stick with the program, Which I actually do.

Auslogics Disk Defrag:

This one is more serious.

Nothing in the EULA about any type of add-on or passenger, but shortly after the install seems to be complete, there are a few seconds delay and then this is downloaded ...

post-8751-0-90839900-1391444724_thumb.jpg

And if you want to see the potential serious consequence of some unknowing user following through with that offer, see hazels topic here ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=40339

And I'll take this opportunity to bang on as loudly as I can for everyone to always read the EULA of any program you are intending to install.

Even a program you've happily used for years.

EDIT: Both downloaded I will add, from highly respected and reputable sources, and I triple checked  the Auslogics install to make sure it wasn't coming from something else.

• Moderators

I knew of ImgBurn using OpenCandy, and they have for awhile now.

OpenCandy is easily thwarted by disconnecting from the Internet while running installers bundled with it, and at least it's less nefarious since it only unpacks and lives in the user temp folder versus some no-name stuff we've never heard of and don't know the behaviour of or where it puts itself on the system.

• Moderators

I take it @DennisD we can add others to the list...

I've recently stopped using FoxIt Reader as it now has the dreaded 'also install google chrome' option pre-ticked and have replaced it with Nuance PDF Reader.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

install google chrome' option

I wish there was a killbit for it, or some way to input it into SpywareBlaster's 'Tools > Custom Blocking' so it could never install even if the box remained ticked in an installer.

• Moderators

I take it @DennisD we can add others to the list...

Feel free mta, although I didn't set out to create a list, and I have to say that I have no objections against, or problems with, software installs which give you a clear "opt-out" choice of whether or not to install stuff like non-problematic toolbars.

Suppliers of free software have to raise revenue, but if you guys come across installers which are close to, or actually cross, the line of being fair and upfront, then feel free to give folks a heads-up about them.

For example OpenCandy always have a very clear agreement section in an installers EULA (and how many folk never read them), but the Auslogics installer makes no mention of what is tagged onto the back of it.

And I omitted to mention above (senior moment) that during the install process, and the appearance of that Conduit licence agreement, Process Explorer and Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) were both closed down.

During my second and third test this didn't happen, but something surely affected both the first time.

Just as well I was checking out the new versions under the virtual protection of Returnil.

• Moderators

....software installs which give you a clear "opt-out" choice of whether or not to install stuff like non-problematic toolbars.

totally agree with that and with the "free software to raise revenue", after-all to keep it free they need money.

what ticked me off with FoxIt was their placement of the pre-ticked option and the size.

it is literally jammed between two paragraphs and in an extremely small font - nicely designed to be skipped over.

i know some members here have remarked about Piriforms pre-ticked Google stuff, and they are i think, well placed and not easily skipped, FoxIt on the other hand seems to have gone out of their way to make it easily missed.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.