Wiping Free Space

mrkasperable

So I chose the option to wipe the free space through the cleaner tab under the advanced section, and it told me I have 860,976 MB worth of data to wipe. I only have about 1 TB of space total, so this kind of made me a bit nervous. I was worried I was wiping my entire drive or something. I aborted the cleaning at about 100,000 MB

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm not exactly tech-savy so if something were to happen to my computer I'd be a bit lost on how to fix it. 

My question is: Is this normal? Am I safe to let it go about it's business? Can I restart the wiping process without any issues?

• Moderators

Well if it's wiping 860976 and you have only 1.4GB of your drive currently used then that number is correct.

However 2 things here:

1 because you stopped it, you will need to rerun a wipe, or locate the ccleaner created files (at the root of the drive there should be one or more new, oddly-named (string of characters as a name) files. Permenatly delete them.

2 Wiping the drive on a regular basis will lead to your drive prematurely dying. We, here in the forum, usually advise users only wipe when selling/retiring a hard drive, to avoid extensive wear on the hard drive

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It seems I have used 86 GB worth of space so far. 

That's good to know, thank you. I haven't wiped my free space prior to now, but I had assumed it was something you do regularly to keep your drive clean. I'll just go ahead and try to find the folder containing the empty files.