HP bowing to consumer demand?

Derek891

It looks like HP is pulling the rug out from underneath Windows 8 and giving consumers what they want by offering a new series of machines with Windows 7 in lieu of Windows 8. http://www.marketspress.com/hp-reverts-windows-7-popular-demand-3715/alanquinton.html

The $150.00 discount sweetens the deal for prospective buyers, and displaying the offer on their home page appears to be a poke in the eye for Microsoft's flagship OS. http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/uc/welcome.html

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

It's not like we ask much from them, simply that they listen - nothing too demanding.

The latest, classic here's a poke in your eye with a sharp stick incident is the "Yes we will bring back the Start button in Win8.1" and without being heralded as liars, they do EXACTLY that, Start button but no menu behind it.

That simply act must have sent even the diehard MS fanboys into despair.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

It isn't too long ago I was in my local PCWorld looking at computers and I was really surprised to find that a computer installed with Win7 was impossible to obtain.

They wouldn't even contemplate providing one with Win7.

Maybe HP have started a trend which will eventually filter through to PCWorld and similar outlets.

Personally, in view of the not insignificant volume of negative feedback from Win8 users, I think it an absolutely crazy business decision to have Win8 as the only operating system available. I'm sure a lot of potential revenue must have walked out the door.

Especially when most of the staff, if asked, weren't reticent about expressing their personal dislike of it.

• Moderators

I think it an absolutely crazy business decision to have Win8 as the only operating system available. I'm sure a lot of potential revenue must have have walked out the door.

I know of a handful of small business owners who bought Win8 computers and promptly returned them.

- Marketing ploy from HP ? Absolutely !!! If there's popular demand for Win 7, then HP WILL bow !!!!!

- But also a damning verdict about Win 8 from HP. The fact that MS seems to be working on Win 9 ("ahead of schedule") is a "poke in the eye" for Win 8, as well.

According to my info, HP is also the manufacturer of GOOGLE's "Chrome book" ?????? But that would be an additional "poke in the eye" for MS.

Very little good news for MS nowadays. No wonder MS brought out a "Windows Update Fix for XP". Seems MS finally seem to start listening to their customers demands. The overall pattern becomes clearer and clearer.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Seems MS finally seem to start listening to their customers demands. The overall pattern becomes clearer and clearer.

Yeah but there's no excuse for them letting a known frustrating issue go unfixed for years in an OS they had in their support life cycle.

• Moderators

I have a pretty nice Asus laptop with a 1080p IPS touchscreen. I've been considering downgrading to 7 because the 8.1 upgrade screws this machine up so bad. It works fine on my desktop. I have probably used the touchscreen 5-6 times to show people what it can do. I have never once found it be a better way to get stuff done. Only thing stopping me is the cost of the license. Feels so wrong that I would pay $100 for an older OS than what I already have.

Feels so wrong that I would pay $100 for an older OS than what I already have.

It may be wrong,

but it proves that M.S. recognize that the older O.S. is far more valuable and useful than their latest half-baked attempts.

It isn't too long ago I was in my local PCWorld looking at computers and I was really surprised to find that a computer installed with Win7 was impossible to obtain.

. . .

Maybe HP have started a trend which will eventually filter through to PCWorld and similar outlets.

Microsoft & HP are very close "partners".  I suspect an arrangement, but now both have discovered that win 8 is a train wreck, and hp is cutting its losses. 

The microsoft pattern has always been:  Good OS - train wreck, good OS - train wreck, . . . etc. 

Maybe microsoft will offer another free downgrade. 

Would make good business sense, imho, but they don't call me and ask my opinion.  :P  

Maybe microsoft feels the cold breath of a penguin on the back of it's neck. 

The times, they are a'changin'.   

That's not intended as am smart alec remark.  Its just that maybe folks are tired of it, I am for sure.  And folks are discovering that microsoft isn't the only game in town.   

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

The microsoft pattern has always been:  Good OS - train wreck, good OS - train wreck, . . . etc. 

It reminds me of an old joke: What does Microsoft Windows have in common with Star Trek movies? Every other one is good, and the ones in between are stinkers.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields