Quick Rant Re: Win 8.1 Pro

krit86lr

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth checks the integrity of the component store

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth repairs any integrity violations therein.

Might be worth running if SFC /scannow doesn't fix it for you

fwiw sfc /scannow leaves ms updates well enough alone in my experience.

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth checks the integrity of the component store

I have never heard of this tool before, but I'm excited to learn about it.  I have already started reading up on it and how it works.

I've only used sfc on XP machines, but since it replaces the system files with the original installation system files it requires starting from scratch with MS Updates.  What I can't remember is whether or not it touches 3rd party installed software since there are shared files and such.  Haven't needed to use it quite some time.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Ooh. For Windows 7 and 8 SFC leaves updates alone, since it doesn't require the installation media. I've had hit/miss success with getting it to run on Vista, though it usually works. I don't think it affects updates on Vista+, I can say for sure it doesn't on 7

Aha!  Now we're on the same page!  :-D  Good to know about the sfc changes, haven't thought about sfc in quite sometime but it's been showing up a lot on Win 8 forums lately.  Msconfig in another one that I hadn't used in years, but has come in handy in some weird situations lately.

Vista is just a mess of an OS; about as good as Millennium was, lol.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Yes, Andavari I know that your parent's Millennium machine seemed to be the exception.  ;)

Vista was pretty good once the driver situation was sorted out, granted you had a powerful enough machine. I think a few too many people tried to upgrade their 256mb ram xp boxes ;)

Oh, geez!  I have a mile long list of Vista complaints, LOL.  Give me XP over Vista any day.  Although, for the average user who just stores media and surfs the net it's sufficient I suppose.  I'm just a bit of an OS snob, I have always had corporate oem discs until now and it has spoiled me.  :)