Quick Rant Re: Win 8.1 Pro

krit86lr

<Start Rant>

I want to throw it out the window, seriously considering going back to Win7 Enterprise which I loved.

Third party software isn't recognizing my OS or my Office 2013 installations and it's becoming too time consuming to keep troubleshooting.  When I say 3rd party software I mean common ones like Java, Adobe, etc...

I called MS for my first time ever today... they tried to fix the problems via LogMeIn for 3 hours to no avail.  A more technical support rep is supposed to call me back tomorrow but I don't have high hopes for a resolution.

<End Rant>

I feel a bit better now, thanks!  :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Odd I've had no issue with any of those softwares on win 8.1. Are you trying to install flash for ie? If so there's no need to as (like chrome) it's now coded into the browser and updates via Windows Update

What is the third party non-recognition software? Office 2013 installed perfect, did you upgrade windows or do a clean install (where old windows is put in windows.old)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, adobe for IE.  When I 'Test Flash' on Adobe's website it says that I am not running IE on Windows 8.  And even though the integrated Windows Update is installed there is no sign of it in the add-ons list.  I can play YouTube videos, but cannot see flash download links.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I have reset IE to default settings, turned off Active X filtering, added websites to compatibility view, uninstalled/reinstalled Windows Update.

• Moderators

Turn off protected mode and enchanced security

Or check your plugins (change to view all instead of currently loaded) and change from prompt to allow.

Maybe also some other "better" settings in ie advanced preferences

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Trying that now Nergal.

Java x64 just gives a fatal installation error, but doesn't specifiy as to why.  It installed fine before 8.1.  I really think that there is something wrong with my installation.  It's too much of a coinscidence that multiple 3rd party software aren't recognizing my OS or Office installations.  MS Support wouldn't listen or look as the list of issued in my Event Viewer.  He kept acting like it was just an adobe/IE issue but I suspect it's something bigger.

Oh, yeah also checked stuff in advanced preferences.

• Moderators

Found thishttp://www.eightforums.com/general-support/37550-keep-getting-told-i-need-install-flash-i-m-ie11.html

In IE 11 under Tools be sure "ActiveX Filtering" is NOT checked. If it is checked a lot of flash sites won't work.

Okay, well all of my add-ons were disabled and I can't find anything about Protected Mode... if I remember correctly Protected Mode is a setting prompt when you first setup IE which I would have refused.

• Moderators
Trying that now Nergal.

Java x64 just gives a fatal installation error, but doesn't specifiy as to why.  It installed fine before 8.1.  I really think that there is something wrong with my installation.  It's too much of a coinscidence that multiple 3rd party software aren't recognizing my OS or Office installations.  MS Support wouldn't listen or look as the list of issued in my Event Viewer.  He kept acting like it was just an adobe/IE issue but I suspect it's something bigger.

Oh, yeah also checked stuff in advanced preferences.

Did you run the upgrade assistant beforehand it should have said if anything was incompatible. Also try to run them as Windows 7 apps if they were compatible with that windows (right click the exe or shortcut to app and choose properties, I believe compatibility settings are easily found from there (also try run them as admin incase they're having permission issues).

ActiveX Filtering is not checked.  Under multimedia I checked 'show pictures' and checked the setting under accelerated graphics in the advanced section.

• Moderators
Okay, well all of my add-ons were disabled and I can't find anything about Protected Mode... if I remember correctly Protected Mode is a setting prompt when you first setup IE which I would have refused.

Protected mode is options>security then select internet zone and uncheck protected mode do the same for trusted zone

Good thinking on Win7 compatibility, I have noticed some other software do that as well (usually older software) but worth a try nontheless.

Still no dice with adobe & IE, although now it is telling me that Adobe is either disable or not installed which I think means it is at least now recognizing my OS!  Improvement!

post-3766-0-16409700-1390339782_thumb.jpg

post-3766-0-99313600-1390339798_thumb.jpg

post-3766-0-19965700-1390339808_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Now that enhanced secure mode is off (make sure one last time in options>advanced) you should be able to enable the add-ons.

Also in trust settings in office 2013 make sure your settings are set to be able to accept the add-ons that don't recognize office (open any office program and choose trust settings from the options)

Now that enhanced secure mode is off (make sure one last time in options>advanced) you should be able to enable the add-ons

But there aren't any adobe/flash/shockwave plugins listed to be enabled.  Just stupid stuff that I don't need is available.

Also in trust settings in office 2013 make sure your settings are set to be able to accept the add-ons that don't recognize office (open any office program and choose trust settings from the options)

I don't see that option exactly.  Are you referring to un-checking the need for add-ins to be signed by a Trusted Publisher?

Is there a way to check for corrupted system files without running a sfc/scannow?  Or does sfc have a switch that won't automatically replace the files but just report files that need replacing?

Geez, Win 8 is seriously making me feel like a n00b!  Oh, and the whole x64 filesystem too.  I am not enjoying the feeling!  It's making me nervous.  ;)

Odd I've had no issue with any of those softwares on win 8.1.

Some people are and some people aren't.  I was part of the group who experienced fatal installation errors of 8.1 mutilple times... so I'm wondering if it is somehow related and if the 8.1 update really did install clean.

Or does sfc have a switch that won't automatically replace the files but just report files that need replacing?

This seems unlikely since it checks against original installation files, but still wishing/hoping.

Here's a link to the options using the sfc command: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/sfc-command-system-file-checker.htm

Also: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

According to what I have read, using sfc /scannow will detect and replace corrupted system files. I would assume Windows may prompt you for the installation disk if it cannot find an item in the system .cab files. Using sfc /verifyonly will report on the affected files without attempting to replace them.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Using sfc /verifyonly will report on the affected files without attempting to replace them.

Sweet!  :)

Oh, but wait.  SFC checks against original system files so won't all files changed by MS Updates be reported?  Maybe I need to track down DjLizard on that one?

Oh, but wait.  SFC checks against original system files so won't all files changed by MS Updates be reported?  Maybe I need to track down DjLizard on that one?

I've only run sfc /scannow once on this machine and it reported no problems. As far as MS Updates are concerned, I'm in the dark on that question.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields