Thumbnail View Suggestions

John G.

These have been mentioned over the past few years by myself and others, but I haven't seen anything recently, so I thought that I'd start a new thread specific to suggestions for the Thumbnail view.  This is pretty much all I use Recuva for -- lost photo recovery.  So, here's my years-long wish-list:

1. Allow a filter option to remove any images that aren't seen as valid -- where there is "no preview available" -- so that we don't have to see thousands of boxes that say "no preview available" that are pretty worthless in Thumbnail view.  (You have an option to "sort by State" which kinda works for this -- except then you lose the ability to sort by anything else meanful.  It would be much better if we could just click a box to "hide thumbnails without previews available" to remove the bad "state" ones -- and then still be able to sort by Size and such.)

2. Tell Recuva to go ahead and continue pre-loading images in the Thumbnail View past the page that I am on! I want it to just go ahead and pre-load everything that it can, so that I can QUICKLY page through looking for images that are lost. Right now, you go to the next page, wait for it to load that page of images, then go to the next page, and wait again. I want it to just GO and pre-load ahead so that I can easily page through and view already rendered preview images.  That way, I could switch to thumbnail view and just let it process for a few minutes -- and see all of the images quickly.  The page-by-page thumbnail loading can be torture when you have a few thousand images to work your way through!

3. It may be nice to be able to select a preview/thumbnail SIZE to see larger previews.

Thank you!

- John...

• Moderators

I don't see how Recuva, or any freely available software, could 'see' whether the string of bits in the preview section represented a valid picture or not. It would have to be very clever. As long as the header code or offset or whatever is correct then it's just strings of bytes.

Previews are embedded separately from the main picture, and don't necessarily represent the full picture. There are some picture representations - bmp I think - that don't have embedded previews, and there are also some options in jpegs etc that remove or never include previews. Also it is possible (I've just tried it) to have a jpg that had no preview and when recovered had a complete picture. Whether that jpg had a corrupted preview or none at all I don't know.

So excluding pictures that don't have previews may eliminate valid recoverable pictures from any recovery.

As for 2, I think I'd rather see a few pics now and wait for the next page to refresh (no matter how irritating) than wait for all 50 or 60 or more thousand previews to be loaded before seeing any at all. But I'm impatient.

3 - a right-click option to see the full pic - yes, a good idea.

• 6 months later...

I don't see how Recuva, or any freely available software, could 'see' whether the string of bits in the preview section represented a valid picture or not. It would have to be very clever. As long as the header code or offset or whatever is correct then it's just strings of bytes.

Previews are embedded separately from the main picture, and don't necessarily represent the full picture. There are some picture representations - bmp I think - that don't have embedded previews, and there are also some options in jpegs etc that remove or never include previews. Also it is possible (I've just tried it) to have a jpg that had no preview and when recovered had a complete picture. Whether that jpg had a corrupted preview or none at all I don't know.

So excluding pictures that don't have previews may eliminate valid recoverable pictures from any recovery.

As for 2, I think I'd rather see a few pics now and wait for the next page to refresh (no matter how irritating) than wait for all 50 or 60 or more thousand previews to be loaded before seeing any at all. But I'm impatient.

3 - a right-click option to see the full pic - yes, a good idea.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you.  If I'm looking at the Thumbnail view, there is very often a very large percentage of images with "no preview available."  I don't care if there MIGHT be a SMALL chance of recovering those -- I wouldn't be using the Thumbnail view to do it!  If I'm in Thumbnail view, then I'm clearly just trying to do a quick overview of all of the images to see what might be there.  Therefore, it makes logical sense to have a "hide images with no preview available" when I am in Thumbnail mode so I don't have to scroll past what is often just pages and pages and pages of "no preview available" blank spots.

So, excluding pictures that don't have previews doesn't really eliminate valid recoverable pictures as you suggest.  Because normal people wouldn't be using Thumbnail view to find those ones, of course.

I still think it is a very reasonable option.

Also, your answer to #2 makes no sense.  The application already supports scrolling while pictures are being loaded on the CURRENT view.  Therefore, there is no reason that it wouldn't support scrolling while it CONTINUES to load images below the current view!  So, there would be no need to "wait for all 50 or 60 thousand previews to be loaded before seeing any at all."  It's clearly a separate thread already.  I just want it to keep loading below my current view.  Again, it wouldn't stop be from immediately looking at the currently visible images at all -- since this is clearly already possible (loading and viewing at the same time).

And, finally, no, I did not suggest an option to see the full pic in #3.  I suggested an option to allow different thumbnail sizes for ALL of the thumbnails (i.e. like Windows does not with their different thumbnail sizes).

Your suggestion of clicking to see the full pic is something completely different than what I was suggesting.

- John...

• Moderators

Jeez, I'd forgotten this. I'm sure I've changed my mind many times since January, and maybe even learned something.

After re-reading the first two posts I think I agree with what you say. Whether your wishes will be granted is another matter.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to bump this up since this wish-list from years ago is still my top wish-list that I think would be a good enhancement to Recuva.

And I'd add one more:  The ability to save a custom filter.  Heck, even if I had to edit the registry or something as a workaround, I'd really love a way to define my own filters for specific extensions that I want to see.  I'm tired of having to change it manually every time I want to do a search/filter.

- John...

• 2 years later...

So, just doing my usual "every 2 or 3 years" bump of this request.  After many, many years with Recuva, these are still my main wish-list items that I don't think would be that difficult to implement.  I'm not asking for much here.  :-)

In any case I missed it, do we have any of these yet?  Here's the quick summary:

1. Ability to filter out any images from the Thumbnail view that can't show an image (i.e. that show "No Preview Available").

2. Ability to pre-load all of the thumbnails instead of just the visible page.

3. Ability to save or modify a custom filter -- even if it is just a registry hack or something.

Any of those possible yet?

• Moderators

I  bow to your persistance.

It's a long time to expect an answer though

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043