Leaves 8 gigs unfragged?

Juice

Hello all. New here. Hope everyone is doing fine.

I am using Windows 8.1  64bit.  i5 cpu.  Defraggler leaves 8 gig unfragged  every time I run it. Another poster suggested a solution,  I did that, I checked the three boxes in the Advanced tab as recommended.   I also restarted the system. Same issue. Defrages but leaves 8 gigs fragmented.   Suggestions?

Regards,   Juice

Hello Juice and welcome to the forum. Just by chance, does your machine have 8GB of memory installed? Mine does, and one time Windows had automatically enlarged the system paging file to it's absolute maximum. In doing this, the paging file was split into two seperate sections on the drive. Defraggler reported this as 8GB of fragmanted files and displayed two seperate paging areas (brown) on the drive map. My solution was to disable system paging, restart, then re-enable system paging. After that, Defraggler displayed one contiguous area for system paging, and no longer reported 8GB of fragmented files. Later on, I made it a point to set system paging at a fixed value, with the min. and max. being equal at 4096MB.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Yes, as a matter of fact I did. It seems that Windows did not allow the two seperate sections to be rejoined because of other data occupying the disk sectors in between them.

Hello everyone.

Assuming that derek891 and Juice really checked the three boxes in the advance tab like Juice said, i think Derek is right. I dont tweak my pagefile because i only have 4 GB of RAM and from my expirience tweaking doesnt do anything whort it for me. But like i said i tend to agree whit Derek. On the other hand i once defragged my pc and after that i still had not 8 but 5 GB of fragmented files. I then ran boot time defragg and after i analized it again the hard drive was almost fully defragged.

So, i think Juice, that you should try to follow this two advices and supposedly you will be ok. If not, well you gonna have to provide a bit more information and we will try to figure it out.

Cheers.

You give me too much credit Juice. It was more a matter of being observant, not brilliant. What would be brilliant was if Microsoft rewrote the code that handles system paging. The days of Win95 and Win98 running on 16 or 32 megabytes of system memory are long gone, and so is the need for the excessive use of sytem paging. With most modern laptops shipping with 4, 8, or even 16 gigabytes of memory installed, I find it hard to believe that Windows 8 would allow system paging to get so out of control. I know that in past versions of Windows, it was possible to edit a registry value for conservative swapfile usage that would force system memory to more of the work. I haven't gotten around to see if it still exists in the Windows 8 registry. One more thing to add to my "to do" list.  :)