MS OS Product Keys Check

krit86lr

Does anyone know 'off hand' whether or not there is a Product Key tool for checking keys prior to installation?  I have two OEM disks that I am 99.9% certain are not being used but I want to be sure before handing them out.

Please don't research it for me (Hazel the research Queen), I can research it myself when I have time.  But if you happen to know 'off-hand'...

Seriously, I have so much computer stuff, and computers to get rid of and it all works!  I really don't want to throw any of it away but I am done storing it all too.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hello krit86lr - What version of Windows is on the installation disks? I remember seeing a software application somewhere for either identifying or verifying the activation keys for Windows 7. I'm not sure if it was used pre-installation to get the key from the disk itself or post-installation to find if the key was a valid one. It was either on Softpedia, MajorGeeks, or the FileHippo websites since they are the only ones I've used recently.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Hello again krit86lr - I did a brief investigation, and found a little more info for you. The activation keys are not stored on the installation media, as per these two links -  http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder-faq/ and http://recover-keys.com/en/faq.html - read the FAQ on both. The keys are generated by an algorithm during installation and are then stored in the registry. These two applications are only used to find the keys after Windows is installed on the machine.

If you already have the keys and want to see if they are in use, or to validate them, it looks like you will have to call Microsoft. From what I have read, they keep a very tight reign on this information, and it is not available on any website. I also have found that when you give them a key, they can tell you if it is valid for the product in question, how many times it has been used for activation, and if it is currently in use. I know you probably didn't want to hear this, but in this age of digital piracy I think you can understand why this information is not easily available.  

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

If you already have the keys and want to see if they are in use, or to validate them, it looks like you will have to call Microsoft. From what I have read, they keep a very tight reign on this information, and it is not available on any website.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.  They are old discs, one is XP SP2 and the other XP SP3 but I am fairly certain that I threw out the PC's to the discs ages ago.  Just wanted to be sure before using.  Thanks for the info!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)