MSE updates on XP end in April

hazelnut

• Moderators

Something tells me Microsoft has gone down the hill compatibility-wise in its later Operating Systems.

That reminds me of the problems people had with Vista, which I had forgotten all about and I always dreaded having to fix computers with that OS.

I would have switched to LInux a long time ago if it wasn't for games.

As for the original topic: I think XP will be sorely missed. Something tells me Microsoft has gone down the hill compatibility-wise in its later Operating Systems.

I'm on here now using the Linux Lite DVD.  There are links in the menu for Steam, tells how to install it.  Never played it, not much of a gamer, just sayin'. 

@mta:  no, haven't gone over to the dark side completely yet.  Too chicken.  :P  Probably will soon dedicate one old computer to a linux distro. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I can honestly say I know of no-one who has managed to completely wean themselves off Windows - apart from Mac's of course which are Unix'ish.

So why can't the normal user manage it with Linux distro's ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@ mta:  "So why can't the normal user manage it with Linux distro's ?"

Imho, right now windows is just easier and more "comfortable" for most.

I think there is change in the wind. 

That is not supposed to be a petty "Yaa yaa got'cha" statement, just an admittedly iffy prediction. 

If microsoft market share slumps it will be because they pay more attention to the profits than the product. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

So why can't the normal user manage it with Linux distro's ?

Possibly a software thing regardless of WINE being available to run the Windows software. I only have a handful of software that actually requires Windows, and most of the software I use is open source GNU/GPL software that's available on both Linux and Windows.

Maybe trust is an issue, also.  Its harder to tell what that linux distro is really doing on the net. 

Maybe an AV and firewall aren't necessary, but you FEEL better to have them. 

Is it better to NOT know what LINUX might be leaking regardless of scrutiny and validation or source code by independent experts,

Or is it better to KNOW that Windows is a wide open door for NSA :(

• Moderators

Well Microsoft did an about turn yesterday and announced that it will continue to give XP users MSE updates until 2015.

Updates to the OS itself (on update Tuesday) will still end in April of this year.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/01/15/microsoft-antimalware-support-for-windows-xp.aspx

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015.

This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well Microsoft did an about turn yesterday and announced that it will continue to give XP users MSE updates until 2015.

Man, they're determined to put Windows XP through a slow, painful death.

I'm Shane.

There are interesting legal questions involved, imho. 

I've always suspected (without a shred of evidence) that microsoft extended support for xp because of pressures from outside.

Not customers. 

• Moderators

Man, they're determined to put Windows XP through a slow, painful death.

They keep on trying to kill of their nuclear proof ("cockroach horde equivalent") of an OS. Even they may have trouble convincing people to switch to a newer Windows OS when they pull the plug.

I would go Linux if my accounting software was compatible.  Also, statistical software for school, etc...  Here in St. Louis City they have a neat program for kids where they build their own computers, and learn how to install and use Linux software on the computers.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

One might keep an older computer off the net to run such incompatible apps.

Do you really think xp will get compromised that badly? 

• Moderators

Do you really think xp will get compromised that badly? 

Matters if people know how to secure it. It can be secure with OS vulnerabilities or not through security software, of course that would mean absolutely don't browse the web with IE anymore after all security patch updates cease.

"of course that would mean absolutely don't browse the web with IE anymore after all security patch updates cease."

Ugh.  :(  But thanks for the feedback. 

Oh dear, conflicting advice, oh dear, whatever shall I do.  :P  Just kidding of course. 

I shall try it till it's wheels fly off, being as stubborn as a red mule. 

I'm a bit more worried about my new washing machine or refrigerator getting a virus, but thats a whole different kettle of fish (now there's a picture, eh?)

• Moderators

I'm a bit more worried about my new washing machine or refrigerator getting a virus, but thats a whole different kettle of fish (now there's a picture, eh?)

That kettle of fish may get you before a virus.  :P